Girls: Bras

Options
Ok, so my old bras aren't fitting properly and are broken down. And I haven't bought a sports bra since I was 19 (actually, I don't think I've EVER been properly fitted); I've been working out in my regular bras. So dumb questions now I guess.

Do I need to go to a sports store to get new ones? Or to a store that specializes in undergarments? Should I expect some movement while working out, or will it completely strap everything in place?

Replies

• sar04tamu
    sar04tamu Posts: 27
    Options
    I really like Champion brand from Target. When you try it on, jog in place for a few minutes and see how much bouncing goes on. Try on several different brands and styles until you find one that's comfortable.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    You should go to a lingerie store and properly fitted and buy a good quality sports bra. Believe me, a good fitting and supportive sports bra is worth its weight in gold.
  • Havend1
    Havend1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Working out without a sports bra is to the best hing to do. I got mine at Target I thnk. It may have been Wlmart. I only buy ones with padded support to prevent movement of the 'girls'. :tongue:
  • jenelizmin
    jenelizmin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it depends on the type of workout you do and the size of "the girls". With the exception of running, I don't do a lot of bouncing type things and I'm small chested. I go to target/walmart and get an inexpensive one. I never workout in a regular bra though, too uncomfortable. I went through basic training with some girls that were very large up top and they always said a good bra was worth it's weight in gold when running. Some of them would actually wear 2 at a time for additional support. Also, a lot of the sports bras tell you the level of support they provide so you can use that as an extra guide .
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    That will depend a lot on your size, and the kind of exercise. I had a reduction years back. Before that I had to wear a minimizer and a sports bra together. I personally wouldn't go to a sports store for them. I've gotten some of mine at Walmart.
  • Sera890
    Sera890 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Walmart and Target. :)

But, it really does depend on the type of workout that you're doing. Anything where they're moving around a lot, and I'd say go for a higher quality bra. Otherwise, you can probably get by with the cheapo kind.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Depends on your size, as well as the type of impact. For me Champion is what works best when it comes to sports bras, not much bouncing if any - especially when running
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    ENELL
    ENELL
    ENELL
    ENELL
    ENELL
    ENELL

=AWESOME COMPRESSION, WON'T MOVE AT ALL (.)

my bad, specifically for "well-endowed" thinks it starts at C cups
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I've found Ross & TJ Maxx really good for buying cute sports bras of all impact levels for 8-12 dollars.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i agree with the others. if you really need a lot of support and have frequent bounceage, get yourself a nice one or get properly fitted.
    my girls are quite small (34a) so i can do with a sports bra from the kids section at walmart, or just a tanktop with the built in "shelf"
    best of luck in your bra choice!
    speaking of, i need some new sports bras lol
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    This:

http://www.berlei.com.au/shop/berlei-sport/ultimate-performance-contour-crop-y599w.html

Seriously. This is the BEST sports bra I've EVER owned. I've got two. Bought one after seeing a bunch of girls advertising them at a city2surf the year they were released. I hope they NEVER EVER stop making them. Trust me, once you try these, you'll never go back to any other sports bra.

Oh, I know they're a bit expensive -but trust me, they're worth the money.

Btw, no, I don't work for the company (or promoters), NOR do I know anyone that does!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Watch out for the underwires - not good for sports bras. I'm a walmart / target fan - I buy in bulk and while there is some movement during exercise, it's very minimal - good fit is important.
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly, I found my favorite sports bra at Victoria Secret! I have a champion from Target I run in as well, but I hate the mono-boob. The VS is part of the PINK yoga collection. I like it because I can run or do kickboxing in it and the girls still look good! I am a little more endowed (C/D cup) so I need something that keeps the girls still when I run. You just have to try them on; I know it's dreadful - but necessary! Good luck!
  • jjcarpen
    jjcarpen Posts: 4
    Options
    I just did the research on this, as I was going to move from walking into running and also starting the 30DS. The best one for me have been the Danskins from wal-mart with the zip up front. It is easy to get into then the pull over the head ones. It works great and is cheap. I will probably have to replace it more often than an expensive one, but it works great. Also Champion Seamless adjustable sport bras are also working for me. The one thing that is important to keep in mind is If you wear a B cup or smaller to buy a compression bra, that will hold the breast against the chest wall. Larger-busted women should look for the sport bras with molded cups for greater support. Also choose a style with wide adjustable straps and a thick lower band. Good luck! :)
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    for a bra bra, go to a store and get fitted. it's worth it! i only buy vicky secret bras, but i know there are other very good brands out there!

for a sports bra, i recommend under armour that don't fasten or zip or anything like that. they are fabulous. you don't move when running or jumping!
  • decooper
    decooper Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your size you are and what you are doing for cardio. If you are full figure on top and running for example, then I would definitely get a good sports bra.
    I am a full cup size (about an H), but I don’t do any exercises that have me bouncing all over. So I am ok with using regular sports bras from Target. I will however invest in everyday regular bras.
    My one suggestion is to go and get sized before you spend money. I know lingerie stores will measure. Department (JC Penny’s, Macy’s) stores with intimate apparel departments usually have someone to take measurements.
  • raqueljoliemassoud
    Options
    you should hit up models, sport authority or stores like that. i personally love sports authority's collections
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I got some regular-sport ones from Walmart and they work just fine. I don't have all that much bouncing around anyway though :P:P
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    FILA SPORT! They are awesome. I found mine at Kohls and they ranged between $20-30. They fit me perfectly and offer great support (even while i'm doing P90X) without smashing them in :laugh: I'm a 34D
  • hdg1822
    hdg1822 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wear an older regular bra under a sports bra that I got from Target or WalMart. I have done this for years and I played softball for 15 years and wore my bras like this. I do this because I could never find a sports bra that fit correctly but a regular bra doesn't offer the right support for playing sports or working out. A lot of my teammates did the same thing. I find it to be more comfortable than going with just one or the other.