Lifters and gainers, your advice please.

Options
2»

Replies

• Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    You want to do something that doesn't feel too easy, but you can actually complete with good form. The numbers don't mean anything. What matters is it's high enough to stress your muscles to grow.

Thank you! and as long as I keep increasing it should be alright right??, even if I'm starting at little girl levels! (my dumbbells are about 8,8lbs (4kg) now and my barbel is about 20 and 30 (10kg and 15kg) depending on the move.
    So you can all have a giggle at my expense, I totally would!, you boys can probably easily lift me!

Meg
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what weights you start on (we all start somewhere!) as long as they are challenging for you and over time you progress and increase the weights :smile:

As others have said, less cardio, more lifting, at least until you gain. There's nothing wrong with cardio for general fitness, but overload on it can have negative effects on your gains. The New Rules of Lifting should sort you out with that though.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    You want to do something that doesn't feel too easy, but you can actually complete with good form. The numbers don't mean anything. What matters is it's high enough to stress your muscles to grow.

Thank you! and as long as I keep increasing it should be alright right??, even if I'm starting at little girl levels! (my dumbbells are about 8,8lbs (4kg) now and my barbel is about 20 and 30 (10kg and 15kg) depending on the move.
    So you can all have a giggle at my expense, I totally would!, you boys can probably easily lift me!

Meg

Exactly. You need to progressively increase the weight over time. There's a great metaphor in the Starting Strength book about this.
    It is May 15, and you decide this year you are going to get a suntan - a glorious, beautiful, tropical suntan. So you decide to go out in the back yard (to spare the neighbors and innocent passerby) to lay out at lunchtime and catch a ray or two. You lie on your back for 15 minutes and flip over to lie on your belly for 15 minutes. Then you get up, come in and eat lunch and go back to work. That night, your skin is a little pink, so the next day you just eat your lunch, but the following day you're back outside for your 15-minutes-per-side sunbath. You are faithful to your schedule, spending 30 minutes outside every day that week, because that's the kind of disciplined determined person you are. At the end of the week, you have turned a more pleasant shade of brown and, heartened by your results, resolve to maintain your schedule for the rest of the month. So here is the critical question: what color is your skin at the end of the month?

If you ask a hundred people this question, ninety-five will tell you that it will be really, really dark. But in fact it will be exactly the same color as it was at the end of the first week. Why would it be any darker? Your skin adapts to the stress of the sun exposure by becoming dark enough to prevent itself from burning again. That's the ONLY reason it gets dark, and it adapts exactly and specifically to the stress that burned it. Your skin does not "know" that you want to get darker; it only "knows" what the sun tells it, and the sun only talked to it for 15 minutes. It can't get any darker than the 15 minutes makes it get, because 15 minutes is what it is adapting to.

Rippetoe goes onto explain that exercise follows the same principle. A stress is imposed on the body and the body adapts to the stress. It needs to continue to be stressed with more weight in order to adapt.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    How much you are lifting is not the important thing that will come with time. Just pick enough weight to challenge your current strength somewhere around 10 reps. If you can lift 8lbs 20 times that is too light. If you can only lifts it 5 then it is to heavy. Try to find the weight that gives you that window of 8-12 reps.

Using cardio to keep your heart and lungs conditioned is fine but you can do that with one or two sessions a week . Also lifting will do a good job all by itself.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    How much you are lifting is not the important thing that will come with time. Just pick enough weight to challenge your current strength somewhere around 10 reps. If you can lift 8lbs 20 times that is too light. If you can only lifts it 5 then it is to heavy. Try to find the weight that gives you that window of 8-12 reps.

That really depends on what program you're doing. Between 5-8 reps can give a combination of hyportrophy as well as strength and power.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

That really depends on what program you're doing. Between 5-8 reps can give a combination of hyportrophy as well as strength and power.

Yup. The word "strength" is a very loose term and there's definitely different variations of it if you just checkout the force curve or some call the strength curve. 85%+ of your 1RM is actually maximal strength range which is typically 3-5 reps. As you lighten the load and increase volume past that you change the strength and hypertrophy benefit.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Yup. The word "strength" is a very loose term and there's definitely different variations of it if you just checkout the force curve or some call the strength curve. 85%+ of your 1RM is actually maximal strength range which is typically 3-5 reps. As you lighten the load and increase volume past that you change the strength and hypertrophy benefit.

Correct but she wants to put on weight. This is only a generalization but: Strength gains are made with a slightly lower range (which will also gain mass) but muscle gains are to higher rep ranges (around 10 ish which will also gain strength). Both would work but one will be better towards her goal of putting on weight. IMO
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what weights you start on (we all start somewhere!) as long as they are challenging for you and over time you progress and increase the weights :smile:

As others have said, less cardio, more lifting, at least until you gain. There's nothing wrong with cardio for general fitness, but overload on it can have negative effects on your gains. The New Rules of Lifting should sort you out with that though.

^^this

And do not feel bad about not lifting too much at first - everyone is different and everyone has to start off somewhere. You will see your strength increase very rapidly at first and then the 'curve' slows down as you get towards your maximum potential (for want of a better word). I restarted back weigh training about 2 months ago after a long long break - and am now lifting more than double what I started with - just make sure you challenge yourself each time, but remember not to sacrifice good form to lift heavier. (And its not only the guys that could lift you!!:tongue: )
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options

^^this

And do not feel bad about not lifting too much at first - everyone is different and everyone has to start off somewhere. You will see your strength increase very rapidly at first and then the 'curve' slows down as you get towards your maximum potential (for want of a better word). I restarted back weigh training about 2 months ago after a long long break - and am now lifting more than double what I started with - just make sure you challenge yourself each time, but remember not to sacrifice good form to lift heavier. (And its not only the guys that could lift you!!:tongue: )

Thanks people. And you are so right, there are some kick *kitten* ladies on here!!!
  • Gonzaln2
    Gonzaln2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    In the past month I've gained 7lbs of lean muscle by eating a 1:1 ratio of protein and lean body mass (LBM). I also eat lots of healthy fats with low amount carbs. I lift heavy 3 days out of the week, like olympic lifting. I've recently dropped the ratio to .7g:1lb LBM to help lose the fat after the gain.