Lots to lose and in a very early plateau....any advice?

Options
13»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I've been struggling with this for some time now and I finally decided to give in and ask for some advice. I started out on this journey about 92 days ago after a visit to the Dr, where I happened to catch a glimpse of my chart and on it she had written morbidly obese. Something in me clicked that day and I decided this has got to stop! I'm 5 foot 2 and 33 years old. I weighed in @ 255lbs. (that is heartbreaking for me to admit publicly) So anyway, I talked with my doctor and she did a metabollic test and told me that my Resting Metabollic Rate was 1826 calories and she advised me to consume 1550 calories a day, workout 6 days a week, do NOT eat my exercise calories and the weight would start to come off. So I signed up for MFP and started tracking my food, and following her guidelines. Vowed to make a life change and once and for all get rid of this extra baggage and become a healthier person. So the weight started coming off and I started to feel so much better. I've tried to incorporate better foods and drink plenty of water, but mainly I've noticed, that if I don't exercise, the weight goes nowhere....
    So here's the problem, for 5 weeks I've plateau'd at 230 lbs. I've played around with my calories, dropping them down to 1350 at the lowest. I've for the most part, NOT consumed my exercise calories. Two weeks ago, I bumped my calories back up to 1480 because everyone told me that I was not eating enough and my body possibly thought it was in starvation mode, and I lost 2 lbs, but then later in the week I was back up to 230 again....
    So basically I'm just not sure really where to set my calories at and if I should or shouldn't eat my exercise calories back. Is my body really in starvation mode? I mean seriously....I'm 230 lbs and a LONG way from 120 something that my Doctor said I should be at. What do I need to do? I have taken my measurements at the beginning of each month and I have continued to lose inches even when the scale doesn't move, and I know I shouldn't always go by the scale, but come on.....I want that scale to MOVE!!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Wow, crazy Dr. and ya, not starvation mode, not hardly. Metabolic slowdown mode. Adaptive thermogenenis.

It's one thing to recommend and eat below an estimated BMR value, which would be inflated for obese and therefore not so bad, it's entirely another to actually measure your RMR (right above BMR) and suggest eating below it.

So your RMR is what your body was burning every day at rest, and a foundation for all other activity calories built on top of that rest.
    But you gave it 1550 minus whatever exercise burned off, perhaps 500?

So what your body was willing to burn 1826 calories to do, you just gave it perhaps 1100.
    Guess what it has to do to still accomplish some of those BMR functions? Slow down, way down. And thank you for proving the point it can happen quickly, some on here say it would take over a year to accomplish. Ahh.

So you appear to have slowed it down enough that you are now probably eating right at maintenance level.
    Unless somehow you are consuming say an unknown 500-600 calories per day unlogged.

So how to get the metabolism burning again?

And I dare say, with estimated BMR being around 1717 (not sure where you got 1507), and your measured RMR being above 1800, RMR is not that much higher than BMR, so that is correct. NET eat right at current weight BMR.

That BMR figure is 1717 by your age/weight/height and right below RMR where it should be, so here is setting.
    Settings - Diet/Fitness profile
    Activity level - Sedentary
    Loss goal - 1 lb weekly.

This should make a daily NET goal of 1646, close enough to BMR estimate.
    And then you eat back most of your exercise calories, unless using HRM and having better estimate of calorie burn.

So you will only be allowed to lose 1 lb weekly?!

Do you know how many calories you actually burn each day? Unlikely.
    Does MFP know exactly because you told it sedentary? Hardly.
    You will probably burn much more, especially at beginning with exercise causing more calorie burn.

What you do know is your metabolism could be higher, why not make it so, and lose weight at the same speed or faster.

And while you may be thinking 2000 calories to eat on exercise days sounds high - do you know what you were eating before you started the diet? Is it really that much?
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Yes I have done all of my measurements at the beginning of each month. I'm down 7 inches in my waist, 5 from each arm, 3 in each thigh and 8 in my chest. I have dropped 2 sizes in clothing, and all of that is wonderful, but I'm just stuck about that crazy scale. I WANT it to go down!!! :explode:

I measure EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth and always log it! Always!!!

Well that is great that you are losing inches!! I know what you mean about the scale, it can be frustrating. You will get it, we just have to figure out what isn't working.

And good for you for being an accurate logger. :drinker: That is most the battle. Figuring out your numbers from there is just trial and error.

In re-reading your original post: I didn't know that RMR was pretty much the same as BMR. So although that test you took isn't super accurate, it is probably pretty close and your TDEE is around 2,100. So that narrows out the wrong daily goal option. I honestly think then it is what I said: your burns aren't accurate. You should get a HRM or only eating say, half your "burned" cals back.

I use the fattofitradio.com BMR calculator..using katch mcardle...should I use something else? Im confused.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    heybales, you again!!:angry:

No. No. No. No. :mad:

:explode: She IS NOT eating too little. YOU ARE OBSESSED WITH "METABOLIC SLOWDOWN." Telling a MORBIDLY OBSESE person to eat 500 calories MORE than what a DOCTOR reccomended is SICK AND DISTURBING.:explode: :explode: FREAKING FEAR MONGER!!

I don't know if you have the right intentions or if you are just TRYING to sabatoge people. But you make me SICK.
  • jsapninz
    Options
    I use the fattofitradio.com BMR calculator..using katch mcardle...should I use something else? Im confused.

You can use the one from MFP under Tools > BMR, or you can search a couple online and average them (they are usually a tad different). But eventually after you are on a plan for awhile you will start to figure out your BMR depending on how quickly/slowly you are losing compared to your goal. :flowerforyou:
  • heybales
    Options
    Wow, crazy Dr. and ya, not starvation mode, not hardly. Metabolic slowdown mode. Adaptive thermogenenis.

heybales, you again!!:angry:

No. No. No. No. :mad:

:explode: She IS NOT in starvation mode. Telling a MORBIDLY OBSESE person to eat 500 calories MORE than what a DOCTOR reccomended is SICK AND DISTURBING.:explode: :explode:

I don't know if you have the right intentions or if you are just TRYING to sabatoge people. But you make me SICK.

You see a name and react emotionally, don't you?

Please read my FIRST line. FIRST sentence.
    And you might educate yourself and read rest of the post too, since you obviously didn't make it past the first line.

And then go read the group for those eating over 2000 calories, and many of them in exact same situation as OP, morbidly obese, eating sensibly, and losing 2lb or more each week. Some with exercise, some without a lot.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options

You can use the one from MFP under Tools > BMR, or you can search a couple online and average them (they are usually a tad different). But eventually after you are on a plan for awhile you will start to figure out your BMR depending on how quickly/slowly you are losing compared to your goal. :flowerforyou:

Im down from 214.6 to 133.2...been doing 1200 cals and eating back half burned...with my HRM. Now...I am 5-6 lbs from goal (my dr and I agree on 127ish)..and Im stalling..not plateauting...as the last 6 days have been 133.2..133.8..133.4...133.6. Id like your thoughts.
  • jsapninz
    Options
    Im down from 214.6 to 133.2...been doing 1200 cals and eating back half burned...with my HRM. Now...I am 5-6 lbs from goal (my dr and I agree on 127ish)..and Im stalling..not plateauting...as the last 6 days have been 133.2..133.8..133.4...133.6. Id like your thoughts.

What is your:
    Bmr?
    Activity Level?
    Cut(defecit)?

I wouldn't take the last six days as anything, a week to week comparison is more "seeable" for loss because water weight can't play with you as much. Keep in mind that the more you lose, the slower your weight loss goes, but you still should be able to lose 1 lb a week healthily, espeically with exercise involved.

Or you can just message me and we can go from there. :)
  • heybales
    Options

Best intentions, especially compared to advice like yours that centers on the potentially slower side of the equation.

Is there some issue with eating slightly more, only losing 1.5 lbs weekly for a couple weeks, and then lowering calorie goal?

But if you start on your side, much more potential that you will reach 1.5 lbs weekly anyway, and even less, and then have to follow the advice to eat more anyway! Shoot, look at several of the responses in this thread already.

You are probably sick because you eat too little for your level of activity! :drinker:

I know you don't believe in the studies that have been posted already to your pleas of disbelief, or actually, after your last blunder of not even reading the first line, you probably haven't read them.

But here's a good one. The slowdown you cause through metabolism can actually cause your normal daily activity calories to remain suppressed below expected even when your BMR is correct for the new weight that was reached.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/88/4/906.full
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    if you're eating enough calories, the Zig Zag! Works great.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is 1507 then always try to NET 1507 and dont get lower. So that means if you workout and burn 300 calories you should eat 1807...which would only be a NET of 1507. I used http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ . This site promotes eating how you would eat at your goal weight. I am currently eating 2000 which is a little bit above lightly active..and not eating back my exercise calories. I am finding it really works, however if I happen to burn 1000+ calories a few days a week my wieght will go up...this is why I am experimenting with trying to eat back some of those calories if I ever go under my net calories.

Its all so confusing lol but I have learned so much, and you will too. And like I said there is no 1 size fits all, so I would suggest using that website and eating what they reccomend for your lifestyle ex sededary, lighly active ect ect. Put the scale away and try for 30 days and see what happens. It is normal to gain in the beggining your body stores the food and then realizes its goin gto keep getting it and your matabolism speeds up and then you start dropping.

^^^^^^good post.
    helloitsdans post 'in place of a roadmap' explains how to calculate your numbers and has links to fat2fit calculators.

Your BMR is not far off mine - Im 1574.
    the calculator gives me 1965 lightly active / 2215 mod active with a 20% deficit.
    I eat 1950-2000 most days, exercise an average of 400 a day so net just above BMR and lose 1.5lbs a week.
    MFP says if i net 1650 i will lose 1.5, so both methods actually have the same results, its just a different way of getting there.
    If you prefer to eat more on exercise days and less on rest days, use MFP's way and eat back exercise.
    If you prefer to eat the same every day with exercise included then use a BMR / TDEE calc.

When I first started on here I ate 1650 / netted about 1200 and didnt lose any more than I am now, so why would you train your body to eat less if you can lose the same amount eating more?
    the less restrictive your eating is, the more chance there is that you will stick with it long term x
  • IslandgirlCin
    Options
    I have had the same thing happening to me. in desperation I tried the diet / on the cover of First for women magazine. It advertised losing something like 47 lbs by Memorial Day. I have been counting calories, exercising 2x a day, with no results....other than weight gain. I too was not eating all my exercise calories either.
    This diet is a juice/ smoothie plan with soups etc.
    I will say it is day 4 and I have lost 5 lbs......first time in months that I have seen the scales move. it's not fluid, as I take a prescription pill for that.
    The only odd thing in the diet was a morning drink made with psyllium husk, apple juice and aloe Vera juice. the psyllium husk had a warning on the label to mix with water, it was a choking hazard. Also not to flush it , etc. I looked at 2 different psyllium powders one at GNC and one at Walgreens. Both said the same thing.
    If you can't flush it, why would you want to drink it ? I purchased Walgreens brand of fiber powder, no flavor, and made for cooking instead.
    I can only hope this is the trick for me...
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    No, you are not in starvation mode. Banish that thought from your mind.

Also, stop getting caught up in minor calorie differences. There is very little effect between 1300 and 1500. Most people miscalculate their calories anyway so most people are likely off by that amount daily.

If you hit a plateau, the easiest way to break it is to just change something. Looking at your diary, I see that you are over a lot on sodium. Reduce your sodium. Cut out processed foods for a while. Do low carb for a couple of weeks.

Change up you exercise routine. Add more weights and do different cardio.

Just shake things up.
    The answer is right there. Most people miscalculate their calories!! Especially if you have been over eating for more years of your life than not like me. We all have portion distortion to the 10th power.

I lost alot with south beach and counting calories but once the prediabetes was gone I plateaued so I stopped doing south beach hard core and still counted cals and exercised and nothing. I gave up for months, gained only like 8 lbs back thank god. Then I came back to fitness pal started losing again and plateaued again a few weeks later. I searched high and low all the blogs, forums, google etc. People said eat more (that was horrible) exercise more (had no time for my kids or a life) watch your macros (what a pain in the butt) so I was going to give up again. I stopped logging for about 2 weeks and then it hit me. I AM DIETING BUT I AM NEVER HUNGRY. Even when it is meal time. I barely remembered what hunger felt like but supposedly from what I was logging I was within 1200 calories. Guess what- I was EATING way too much and underlogging. Apparently I have no idea what 6oz or chicken looks like, or 4 oz of ground beef once it is cooked and added to a recipie. So to test this theory I cut out my 100 cal in between meal snacks (habit from diabetes issues) and cut my dinner portion down by 1/3 to test the theory and I am down 5 lbs in a week. I am buying a food scale this weekend and now use measuring cups for anything that logs with measurements. My eating hasn't been the bext thru my expiriment (mostly lean cuisines and things I can easily guage posrtions and calories with) but after I get a food scale I am going to up the protien again and try to avoid processed stuff again. I don't feel extremely hungry at mealtime either causing a binge as I would before dieting I just barely start to feel hungry while I am preparing the next meal.

Anyway add this to your options to try out for breaking the plateau. Measure for a few days being VERY careful and figure out if you were overeating before.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Anyway add this to your options to try out for breaking the plateau. Measure for a few days being VERY careful and figure out if you were overeating before.

This is good advice as well. I weigh or measure just about everything. The only stuff I'm not super careful on is vegetables, because if I'm a little off it's not a big deal.

I have marks on my plastic glasses showing where 1cup and 2cups are so I don't have to measure each time :D
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I was logging everything too. Or at least I thought I was. Read my other comment for the details.

I am stealing your idea too annamarie about marking the glasses. Genious!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Gosh I wouldn't mind having your problem. 7 inches in the waist? I was feeling happy I lost 4 :P
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

Yes I have done all of my measurements at the beginning of each month. I'm down 7 inches in my waist, 5 from each arm, 3 in each thigh and 8 in my chest. I have dropped 2 sizes in clothing, and all of that is wonderful, but I'm just stuck about that crazy scale. I WANT it to go down!!! :explode:

I measure EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth and always log it! Always!!!

Ive just seen this, even though its hard to see the scale not going down, measurements are way more important.
    Eventually the scale will drop too, but remember everyone sees the size you are, only you know the number on the scale!!!

Ive had a lot of comments from family / friends about my loss, and not one of them believes I still weigh over 200lbs, or that i weighed 199lbs on my wedding day!
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    bump
  • johnnybutt76
    Options
    Deleted.