Sciatica help please

Options
2»

Replies

• karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I probably should have said I dont have any back pain, it is stemming from my hip on an angle to the middle of my bottom cheek which has a numb feeling. At its worst I feel like I may collapse if I put too much pressure on it and the pain sear through my hip part way down the outside of my thigh and into my bottom :) It is however worst after sitting for longer periods
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi there-
    I am in a similar situation. I have been running for about a year and a half, and in November I started having this pain in my left buttock when I was laying flat in bed and the pain was intense any time I had to turn over. I didn't really do anything about it because the pain went away completely when I got out of bed and started moving around. Then because I was planning on having surgery (totally unrealated from this) I decided to agressivly treat this pain in my butt. At the beginning of March I went to an orthopedic doc and he had no clue, and ended up giving me a cortisone shot in my butt. It helped for about 4 days but then came back. I stopped exercising at the beginning of April and started taking Ibuprofen 800mg every 8 hours, using a heating pad at night when I went to bed, did 20 minutes of piriformis stretches every morning when I woke up and every night before going to bed, I was also taking muscle relaxers at night before bed and doing myofascial release using a tennis ball. None of this helped, in fact, after stopping my running it seemed to get worse. I can not lay flat on my back at all with my legs straight out in front of me or I get intense cramping pain in my left butt muscle, along with sciatic pain down the lateral part of my calf. I googled gluteaus minimus and medius pain and that seemed to explain the pseudo sciatic pain in my leg. It's for sure pinpoint in the middle of my butt however I am not sure what else I can do for this. I ended up canceling my surgery that I was planning for the last year, and I am so bummed. But without being able to lay flat there was no way I could recover from the surgery. I am scheduled to see my general doctor on Monday and I am hoping to get a referral to a massage therapist, possibly a sports physiotherapist and get more muscle relaxers. I hear that this is a common overuse injury amoung runners, so I am eager to see if anyone else has any opinions or things that they have tried and had sucess with.
  • byrnet18
    Options
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I can walk, and sit in the car/ office chair for long periods of time without pain, but I hurt when I am sitting on my couch, and when laying flat on the floor or in bed. Yesterday I tried not taking ibuprofen for 8 hours just to see if I could tolerate it since I would have to stop taking the ibuprofen 7 days before my surgery, and I was in extreme pain sitting, laying, standing, and walking. It was nuts! It was only after taking the ibuprofen and flexeril (muscle relaxer) that I was able to fall asleep. I am going crazy trying to find an answer. One thing that changed also, was I started the 30DS at the end of March and primarly did the level 2 about 4-5 days a week. I wonder if there was something in there that caused this to rear it's ugly head. Needless to say I stopped that as well when I stopped running.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I would quit the ripped and 30DS at once. I had it for years, got to the point were I was looking at surgery. Meet the surgeon(paid through the nose). Exercise especially anytihng intense would increase the pain of mine. Mine would start in my right foot arch, and work its way up.

The problem with Sciatica is there a many different causes, mine was due to a PARS Defect and incidental spina bifida occulta, yours could be due to a muscle strain, disc problem, tendons, hips.

GO TO YOUR PHYSIO OR GP.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I ended up having a series of xrays over 2years and MRI scan. Hit the PHYSIO or GP
  • byrnet18
    Options
    I had an xray of the hip and it didn't show anything. Ortho doc suggested an MRI if the cortisone shot didn't help. He thought it could be my back. I know it's not my back and I don't think and MRI is going to show anything so I am reluctant to waste my money. I've had back surgery and I know what back pain and sciatica feel like, again, this is not my back. I will also note, about 6 months into my weight loss (about 30 pounds lost) I noticed that my left hip clicked with every step I took. It was never painful, it still clicks and doesn't hurt. It is a tendon snaping over my greater trochanter. I assumed that when I lost fat/padding, it allowed this ligament or tendon to loosen up thus making it pop. I now am beginning to think that maybe this has something to do with the pain in my butt somehow. It's just ironic that it's the same side hip as the affected butt muscle.
  • sarahanne40
    sarahanne40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sometimes Sciatica is overdiagnosed there is something called pseudo sciatica and it's actually caused by a tight piriformis muscle, I would suggest massage or chiropractic care. I also find two stretches amazing for it, if you sit on a chair and cross one leg over the other then slightly fold forward keeping a straight back you will feel a stretch through the glutes, there is also the yoga pose called pigeon that is great (but a little more advanced). you could also sit and roll a tennis ball over your glutes :)

I don;t know if my pain is sciatica or the tight muscle described above, but going to the chiropractor and using this exact stretch (as above) always helps relieve the shotting pains I sometimes feel down my left hand side!
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    I would go see a chiropractor. I have a history of lower back pain and the two things that help the most when it goes out are a trip to my chiro (she's amazing and I love her) and stretching. I started doing yoga twice a week and I haven't had a problem with my lower back in quite sometime.

yoga really helps the sciatica :bigsmile:
  • xcrunnergirl13
    xcrunnergirl13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I had this last summer. I had to be careful even just standing or a shooting pain would go down my leg and it would collapse (and this was only a couple months before heading off the University on a cross country scholarship so I was pretty freaked out). If you're wondering what cardio you will be able to do the first thing I could do was biking, and later on walking. About a month later I could elliptical and a month after that I could run. I would definatly check with you doctor before excercising though, because you don't want to aggravate anything. Also, everyone is different so you might be able to do different things than I was.

I'm no doctor, but the pain in your butt sounds like it could be your piriformus (hope I spelled that correctly). I believe some people's sciatic nerve goes through thieir piriformus muscle and when the muscle gets too tight can cause sciatica. Again though, I'm no expert, but its something you might want to consider. Maybe some stretches?

Good luck. :) The hardest part was never knowing when/if the pain would go away but it does, and I'm sure you'll be back to running in no time.
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I had this last summer. I had to be careful even just standing or a shooting pain would go down my leg and it would collapse (and this was only a couple months before heading off the University on a cross country scholarship so I was pretty freaked out). If you're wondering what cardio you will be able to do the first thing I could do was biking, and later on walking. About a month later I could elliptical and a month after that I could run. I would definatly check with you doctor before excercising though, because you don't want to aggravate anything. Also, everyone is different so you might be able to do different things than I was.

I'm no doctor, but the pain in your butt sounds like it could be your piriformus (hope I spelled that correctly). I believe some people's sciatic nerve goes through thieir piriformus muscle and when the muscle gets too tight can cause sciatica. Again though, I'm no expert, but its something you might want to consider. Maybe some stretches?

Good luck. :) The hardest part was never knowing when/if the pain would go away but it does, and I'm sure you'll be back to running in no time.

Thanks so much, just what I wanted to know and I suspect you are right. I have an appointment at the doctor on Monday and will go from there but pretty sure it will be as you said because you just described everything I feel hehe. Disappointed to have to lay off running but hey, a temporary set back in that. I am also going to lay off the cardio parts of the jillian michaels ripped in 30 and just do the strength and ab work too for a bit too :o) Thanks again and to all others who have placed feedback, every little bit of info helps :o)
  • Lose_It_Leo
    Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Apparantly a good dose of the antioxidant cranberry supplements help with this. I have only heard from a few people that this works, but then they are the only people I now with sciatica! Might be worth a try.
  • tbhoover
    tbhoover Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Google foam roller piriformis stretch. I started this a few days ago and its changing my life already
  • byrnet18
    Options
    Ok I went to the doctor again yesterday. He referred me to a neurologist and wants me to get a nerve conduction study and also an electromyogram and then he also wants me to do physical therapy. So I am still taking ibuprofen three times a day along with a muscle relaxer. But this pain is beginning to make me go insane. I am going to go try swimming today as I haven't had any cardiovascular activity in almost a month and I'm afraid of losing all that I worked so hard for. I'm starting to get depressed about it all. Summer is finally here and I can't do a damn thing. :(
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you saw a doctor. As someone who has suffered from back problems for many years, and underwent one back surgery, I can tell you that it's nothing to ignore. Treating it early can save you a great deal of misery later on.
  • bbgalini
    bbgalini Posts: 6
    Options
    Try glucosamine supplements. I take 1000 mg per day and it helps general stiffness and pain first thing in the morning. I'm not a flexible person and it has really helped me.:smile:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from Sciatica and I use 3 methods... 1. The Chiropractor 2. Deep Tissue Massage 3. Stretching...... I do daily stretching before and after exercise as a preventive maintenance and go and see the Massage Therapist once a month... My chiropractor see me for maintenance every couple months for adjustments... This 3 pronged approach normally keeps me pain free..... Best of Luck...
    03221961 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been doing my fitness pal since january 2013 lost 11 pounds. For exercise i was doing Jillian Michaels 30D shred yesterday I was on the floor in pain from a sciatic injury after looking through all these posts on sciatic problems it seems we all have one thing in common we were doing jillian's tape. I will never use the dvd again i think it caused my injury and i am sure everyone elses.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Please listen to your body and if anything causes you pain, stop. I know you want to work out and it is important, but it's much more important to let your body heal right now. You won't like hearing this, but I would stop all workouts until it calms down a bit. That doesn't mean you have to be a couch potato but do give your body a break for a while.

Have you tried icing the area? When my back issues and sciatica flare, ice and stretching help me the most.

When things have calmed down, I would also suggest biking or spin classes. Even at it's worse, cycling never bothered my back.

Good luck!