Losing weight and feeling COLD all the time?!!!

Options

Replies

• Kayley
    Kayley Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a bit relieved others are experiencing this. I admit it freaks me out sometimes that I get so cold that my fingernails start to turn purple. :huh:
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!!! I will definitely have my iron checked - I used to be "borderline" anemic so it may be that. I'm not sure its my calorie intake because I've been at the same daily goal for a while with no problems and I am eating back exercise cals as well AND I just increased it in the past few weeks.

I think a large part of it is the weight loss because of losing my built in insulation....But I will check out everything else to make sure thats not the issue. Thanks Again!
  • nannabannana
    Options
    There are several reasons as to why this occurs, one being you may not be eating enough calories. If you are not feeding your body properly your body starts to conserve and shut down certain systems , one of the first ones will be heating your body. Better this than shutting down vital organs! I notice when I up my calories my hands and feet are not as cold.

Here is a brief explanation: http://www.livestrong.com/article/305720-how-come-when-you-lose-weight-you-feel-cold/

Diana
    Thank you, that is good info. I was always hot. I blamed it on Post menopausal, and everything you can think of. Even my 24 yr old Grandaughter says to me Nanna It is because you have lost so much weight and not eating enough..Our HUMIDITY is still part of my problem. If I eat sweets that happens to me.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Yup, with you on this one! I used to run hot all the time when I was at my heaviest, whereas now I definitely feel a chill. I'm glad people have raised the issue of it possibly being linked to a calorie deficiency, mind you, as I've been struggling to hit a certain number of calories recently.

But yes, I just put it down to loss of insulation. I reason that there's some lovely knitwear out there ;)
  • lauraemthomson
    lauraemthomson Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    yes, less body fat to keep me warm, there is a down fall to being thinner! lol
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm often cold when others aren't but I take iron supplements so it could be having a low iron count. It's worth getting that checked. Women are particularly susceptible anyway but when dieting it's even harder to keep your iron levels up.
  • msalbino
    msalbino Posts: 7
    Options
    Well I will add to the many who have replied. I was always hot to the point where I had my own personal mini fan on my desk at work and now I freeze all day, I am always looking to turn the heat up or find my sweater.

I know my iron levels are good because I give blood on a regular basis so it must be just the body missing the "layer of fat"..... but I surely don't miss it. :flowerforyou:
  • CoachDave2012
    CoachDave2012 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My wife used to see me sweating just sitting around and she'd ask, "What were ya doin'? Jumpin' rope in the attick?!

And I'd be like, I uhh just peeled an orange."

Yes I too am colder now and I like it better than carrying around a towel to wipe the sweat off my brow.

Take a sweater and enjoy living a longer and slightly chilly life. :happy:
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I definitely noticed the same thing, and I couldn't be happier about it! I HATE feeling hot, even slightly warm. Last week, it was 90 degrees here and I was absolutely dreading my commute (which involves a couple miles of walking) because I could remember how miserable it was last summer. But it was really pleasant! I wasn't panting and sweating like I was before and I didn't feel overheated! Plus, I love arm warmers and now I have more reason to wear them.
  • mebuthalf
    mebuthalf Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Definatley. My weight comes off in 'chunks' so every time I lose 10 lbs I get real cold, but it evens out again by the time I lose another 5-10.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    It's a down side to losing the weight....and there aren't many. LOL! I will FREEZE. I'll be walking around with some family members who are bigger and I'll be cowering in a cardigan and they are fine. When you lose the padding it gets chilly! Muscle doesn't keep you warm! LOL!!
  • sopha20
    sopha20 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    my lips are forever blue and my goosebumps seem permanent, i've only lost like 8kgs. agh its so **** all my family keep going on about me needing to put on weight because of it
  • nomoblubber
    nomoblubber Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me too!
    Used to sweat playing checkers in the freezer! Now cold fingers and feet.Cold all over if it's below 75. Less insulation, and fewer calories burning just to breath and sit.
    Glad to have it. Will never go back,
    Lost 120lbs.
  • BriHealthy150
    BriHealthy150 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yup, I've lost 140 pounds so far and I used to always sweat wherever I went, no matter how far I walked. In the coldest winter days I would walk across campus to class and I would be sweating profusely for at least 5 minutes after I stopped moving. Now I find myself cold all the time! It's pretty funny how different it is but I love it. It's definitely better than sweating all the time!
  • danielle7840
    danielle7840 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm down 19 lbs from my highest and I'm drinking a ton a water, I still have 100 lbs to go. I'm eating 1200 calories and this week i have been dropping about a lb a day... which is exciting and concerning....

So it has to be something other than the things suggested in this article... http://www.livestrong.com/article/305720-how-come-when-you-lose-weight-you-feel-cold/ .

Any other ideas? Also, the cold seems to happen as i drink my water, which is not ice water. So bizarre.
  • LaLa482
    LaLa482 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was at a conference the other day and everyone was stripping down/fanning themselves and I shivering. At least I can start pinpointing the reason now. Thanks!
  • jpw9988
    Options
    I'm glad I found this, I have been cold since losing weight, glad its not out of the norm!!
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Old post but if it helps anyone, i too am always cold. Especially my fingers and toes. I wonder if my body will ever regulate.
  • Mzcotton78
    Mzcotton78 Posts: 11
    Options
    When I first start a good fat burning diet I get cold really easily. I'm going to venture out on a limb and go AGAINST the grain and say it's NOT a sign of your metabolism slowing like people say. I think it is a sign of just the reverse. Why? Well, first of all on the diet I'm currently on, I'm losing almost half a pound a day. I know that will slow down soon, but that's normally how I lose when I first start. If I'm losing that much a day, I doubt it's a sign of a "slowed metabolism". I think it's actually because your metabolism is revved up! Well, when your metabolism is firing high your base body tempature is higher... when your base body tempature is higher you actually feel cold. Don't believe me? What happens when you have a fever? Anybody hear of something called "the chills"? I'm not sure why everyone jumps on the bandwagon that it's a sign of a slowed down metabolism when this happens. Your rule of thumb should be, 'Am I losing weight?" and "Do I feel energy?" If both of these answers are "yes"... it's highly unlikely that you've dieted yourself into a slow metabolism. (Cause neither would be happening in that case)

My two cents.....
  • Snoof1980
    Snoof1980 Posts: 4
    Options
    Glad to know I'm not the only one freezing to death! *L* I lost 65 pounds two and a half years ago and I've been cold ever since. At this point I've become a master at the fine art of layering. ;)