Prescription meds

Options
lisa28115
lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
Are prescription meds hampering my weight loss???

my blood pressure pill is a water pill so I think it is okay
birth control pills ???
antidepressant ???
antihistimes ???
nasal steroid ???

Replies

• Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Some antidepressants cause weight gain. Also prescribing an antidepressant is a trial and error thing. It's verry common to be on the wrong med that is doing little for the depression. Depression, and medication side effects including drug interactions, can make it hard to lose weight. What does your Dr. think?
  • lisa28115
    Options
    Some antidepressants cause weight gain. Also prescribing an antidepressant is a trial and error thing. It's verry common to be on the wrong med that is doing little for the depression. Depression, and medication side effects including drug interactions, can make it hard to lose weight. What does your Dr. think?

he don't know
    thats why they call it practicing medicine :laugh:
  • amyy010
    amyy010 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    the tablets that i am on cause my to double my weight, plus i also have something else wrong with me which makes me contantly bloat :( so you're not alone!!
  • mz_hartbreaka
    mz_hartbreaka Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    depends wat medication ur taking but definately the antipressants may but they can go the other way also and cause weight loss antihistamines i dnt think so, and most definately some contraceptive pills can just need to chat to ur dr see if he/she can help
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If you're taking Wellbutrin or Bupropion (generic for Wellbutrin) for depression, I wouldn't worry about weight gain. I've been taking a big dose for many years and it's never gotten in my way. Antihistimine and nasal steroid - probably not . Birth control pills - maybe - look it up - type it into the search field (birth control pills and weight gain)
  • lisa28115
    Options
    If you're taking Wellbutrin or Bupropion (generic for Wellbutrin) for depression, I wouldn't worry about weight gain. I've been taking a big dose for many years and it's never gotten in my way. Antihistimine and nasal steroid - probably not . Birth control pills - maybe - look it up - type it into the search field (birth control pills and weight gain)

i take celexa...i asked my dr about wellbutrin but he said it did not treat anxiety as well as celexa :ohwell:
  • BethicaJ
    BethicaJ Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    All antidepressants have the side effect of weight gain. It just depends on if you're going to suffer from that side effect or not. All steriods cause weight gain. It's the way they're mechanically set up. Even nasal steroids. All birth control pills that change the way your hormones work will make you gain weight. Basically, you're on a whole lot of meds that will make you gain weight. You have to get over the mind-set that it's the pills and take control over your own body. They may make you gain weight, but if you exercise and don't over eat you will still be able to lose weight. Just don't let it get you down.
  • Gt3ch
    Options
    he don't know
    thats why they call it practicing medicine :laugh:

LMAO! So true!!

Looking up Celexa it can cause loss of appetite. Is it working for your anxiety & depression?

Also looking up birth control pills some can cause weight gain. Maybe you should check your specific pill.

Don't think antihistamines or nasal steroids should cause weight issues. Oral steroids definitely would.
  • wdmom
    wdmom Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've been taking antidepressants for years. I currently am taking Cipralex (Lexapro) and Wellbutrin XL. I was taking Celexa but the weight gain and low libido were problems. I was put on Wellbutrin and lost 15 lbs over a couple of months because I actually forgot to eat. Yup. Wellbutrin affects dopamine and norepinephrine. But it didn't manage my anxiety as well. Then I was put on both and steadily gained weight. The side effects vary from person to person. My doctors said that the weight gain would level out and stop. Ha! It didn't with me. Celexa and Cipralex are SSRI. They work on Serotonin. I took Paxil (an SSRI) years ago and I gained weight as well. Different people have different responses to drugs. I think that SSRI cause my appetite to increase and I tend to overeat carbs. Carbs can cause an increase in serotonin in the brain. It really seems to be related to brain chemistry. You can lose weight. You need to pay attention to the foods that you overeat. I really seem to be addicted to carbs. I ate a whole box of sugar cubes recently. Eating would be my hobby if it weren't for the weight gain. If I'm careful with processed carbs and don't eat too much sugar, I can control the addiction and lose weight easily. Chips, cookies, candy - I gain weight hand over fist. BUT, it's personal body chemistry. What works for me may not work for you. Pay attention to the foods that you crave - the ones you overeat. Try to balance your diet better and take control of the overeating. It's not easy and I often fall off the wagon if there is a stressor in my life. Do your best to look after yourself and your health. Take it one day at a time. You can do it.

Good luck.
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Celexa for a few years and havent noticed any weight gain because of it. All my excess pounds happened before taking the antidepressants. Now that I am following MFP the weight is coming off. I have also been taking high blood pressure pills and levothyroxine for hypothyroidism for about 20 years.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    No birth control causes fat gain. The only way it possibly could is by increasing your appetite, and the solution is easy - don't eat more food. It CAN cause hormonal water retention, which looks like bloating and shows up as numbers on the scale, but this can be reduced by drinking lots of water and it fades over time in most women anyways.

Birth control making you fat is a myth.

Sorry to be so serious, but many many women blame weight gain on the pill when they're just lazy, over eating, or seeing bloating. Let the myth be laid to rest please! :)

Many antidepressants can cause weight gain, whereas others decrease appetite, so I'd google the specific brand of each med you have.
  • Gt3ch
    Options
    No birth control causes fat gain. The only way it possibly could is by increasing your appetite, and the solution is easy - don't eat more food. It CAN cause hormonal water retention, which looks like bloating and shows up as numbers on the scale, but this can be reduced by drinking lots of water and it fades over time in most women anyways.

Birth control making you fat is a myth.

Sorry to be so serious, but many many women blame weight gain on the pill when they're just lazy, over eating, or seeing bloating. Let the myth be laid to rest please! :)

Many antidepressants can cause weight gain, whereas others decrease appetite, so I'd google the specific brand of each med you have.

I'm sorry but that's very naive. It's very easy to judge someone and call them lazy when you don't have powerful urges & instead have the metabolism & health of a 19yo. There are hormonal issues where people eat practically nothing and are still fat. It does exist. No one can resist something that is extremely unpleasant long term or permanently solely through pure force of will. It just doesn't work long-term. Everyone has their breaking point. Everyone. No one is successful at anything, for that matter, purely by their will alone. That's a delusion. The reality is multiple other variables also need to be in place to foster success.

Is the pill unlikely to cause weight gain? Sure I'll give you that. Are there women out there blaming the pill incorrectly? Probably. But I don't really see how you can be so confident about the possible side effects of every birth control pill on every person and accounting for every kind of weird drug interaction or anomaly. The manufacturers aren't even that certain.

All this is moot, though. Personally I now think she's having trouble loosing weight because of sleep disruption related to her night shift work uncovered in a different thread. I wouldn't be surprised if it was causing or exacerbating the symptoms treated by the celexa. Best of luck to the OP in dealing with these issues.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    All antidepressants have the side effect of weight gain. It just depends on if you're going to suffer from that side effect or not. All steriods cause weight gain. It's the way they're mechanically set up. Even nasal steroids. All birth control pills that change the way your hormones work will make you gain weight. Basically, you're on a whole lot of meds that will make you gain weight. You have to get over the mind-set that it's the pills and take control over your own body. They may make you gain weight, but if you exercise and don't over eat you will still be able to lose weight. Just don't let it get you down.
    You started out well but then you started talking in absolutes. It's not true that birth control WILL make you gain weight. Loads of people take it and don't gain anything. It's a possible side effect.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Lexapro made me gain weight quickly...alot of weight! I went off of it and was finally able to lose weight.