Food repitition

Options
jdm120
jdm120 Posts: 55 Member
What do you think about eating the same food day in and day out in order to lose weight? I know nutrients won't be met like this alone, so providing you take a good dose of vitamins then there shouldn't be an issue right? Do you have "diet foods" that you stick to regimently for example; a set breakfast every morning, or the same lunch everyday etc. iykwim.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    my breakfast tends to be repetitive for 7-10 days then I might switch to a different one for another similar duration.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I have foods that I stick to fairly regularly but I wouldn't call them diet foods and I see no problem with it given you take a multi vitamin and you're eating a semi-varied diet

If you're eating oatmeal for every mea (for example)l that could be problematic. But oatmeal every day for breakfast?? You'd be fine.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Its actually a very good idea to eat the same food every day, with a multi vitamin, as that way as you monitor your results you can see whether your diet is working for you or not. Its easier to make a small change to a repetitive diet to change the outcome, if you eat a varied diet although this is supposed to be healthier weight loss wise it makes it very difficult to pin point exactly what isn't working (if its not working).
  • Shrinkydinkydoo
    Shrinkydinkydoo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have the same breakfast every morning and I tend to stick to the same kind of meals. I don't think it is a problem because they are healthy choices. Also I think it is good to be in a routine of making healthy food choices. I think it would only be a problem if you started getting bored of what you're eating.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every morning I have a different cereal with almond or soy milk and a banana, my lunch is ALWAYS the same...pb sandwich, apple, yogurt, and for every dinner I have a side of carrots. :) I've lost 26 lbs!
  • bexblonde
    bexblonde Posts: 80
    Options
    I have the same breakfast probably 80-90% of the time. Generally with lunch I'll have fairly similar things to eat in the week and different at weekends. Evening meals are always different, although I do tend to cook some things quite regularly.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have been eating pretty much the same things for the past six years with the odd swap and it really does make a difference in seeing if something is working for you!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Works for me.

Porridge for breakfast (I vary the topping), Fage 0% yogurt mid morning, lunch is 1 of about half a dozen different lunches from Marks & spencer plus pudding, mid afternoon I have either a salmon/tuna/egg sandwich, a protein bar after the gym, and dinner in the evening being the only thing I tend to vary.

I find sticking to a tried and tested formula with a little variation is easy for me to stick too, and yes, I am not big on cooking.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Personally, I benefit from a repetitive diet during the week. I keep a box of Weetabix in work with a bunch of bananas, and that's breakfast sorted for Monday - Friday. Lunch will tend to be similar on a daily basis - a wholemeal pitta with plenty of salad, some protein (tuna/lean meat), and another banana and a yoghurt. That way, the temptation to nip into the city centre and just pick something up for lunch is gone; which is beneficial in terms of lbs and £!

Evening meals, whilst not on a rota as such, do tend to be quite similar. Meat and greens with a baked potato; spaghetti bolognese; an omelette; homemade soup etc.

Keeping things regimented certainly helps for me - I don't find it boring because I almost treat my weekdays as eating fuel (I can't 100% regard food as solely fuel, especially at the weekends), so the fact that it's fairly plain and repetitive suits me just fine.
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    This is my first week, and I have already noticed that I'm eating the same things, I think I'm scared to change it up since it's working. However I'm looking for equel calorie things to change around with it. So my next trip to the store I'm going to force myself to branch out:)
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I eat the same breakfast every morning because i really like it. If i can work from home (most days) i have nearly exactly the same lunch, but it's just a pile of fresh raw veggies and some sort of protein (either tuna or chicken).

And my dinners just sort of seem to end up being very similar - i usually make a pot of something, like chili or black beans and rice and eat it for 4 days. I put my recipes in MFP and it seems i have half a dozen that are really pretty much the same and between 400-450 calories per serving. Again, they tend to include fresh vegetables and lean meats so i think i should be doing pretty well nutrition-wise.

So i say yes, same foods all the time, not a bad plan if overall you are using healthy foods.
  • lollypop_ginger
    lollypop_ginger Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every day for breakfast, an omelette for lunch, fruit and nuts for snacks, and have a different dinner everyday, but it is always meat, some rice, pasta, or potato and lots of veg or a salad. I do change the type of fruit and nut I snack on and I vary the veg and meat in my omelette. I wouldn't call what I eat diet food, everyday is very similar and I've had no trouble losing weight
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to eat similar things but it's inevitable without chucking out lots of leftovers. I tend to eat fruit most lunchtimes and porridge with banana or peach slices for breakfast but have whatever I fancy at night as long as it's within calories.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have a fairly small range of foods that I eat and I have experienced great results. I do often change up the veggies I eat to get a variety, but when it comes to my protein and starch I usually just always stick to the same stuff. I supplement only with natural herbs , protein powder, and my vegan meal replacement shakes.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    A lot of dieting is about what goes on in your head. Eating the same foods will allow you to eat less. Variety breeds overeating.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I get bored with the same foods over and over. I used to bring v8 to work for lunch, heating it up and eating it like tomato soup. That lasted about 2 weeks... I can't stand the thought of eating v8 or tomato soup again for a while. I was determined to eat oatmeal every morning, but I got sick of that within 3 weeks. Haven't eaten it since, and am now trying to get my husband to eat it so it doesn't expire. I am still trying to get used to eating healthier, and trying to transition from snacks as sides to veggies and fruit.

Also, I tend to cycle between a breakfast sandwich with turkey sausage & egg whites, to cold cereal (usually cheerio's of some sort), to fruit & yogurt. Lunch for me has been the same for about two months now, pb & j sandwich, applesauce or fruit cup, and then supper varies greatly. Depends on what we have in the freezer or pantry. Husband is a huge influencer on my supper too.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post! It makes me a bit anxious to veer too far from what i typically eat. If I can't weigh it, and know how many calories are in it, I probably wont eat it. That being said, I have 2 teens (one picky daughter) and a husband who may be getting bored of the same stuff, not that they don't get their pizza and mcdonalds. Also, it's become too much of a conversation between my husband and I who work long hours to "discuss" dinner, which ends up being same ole, same ole. And summer picnics are gonna start to stink if I can't think out of the box.
    I need to restart making healthy casseroles that they like. I like to eat high protein, fruits, veggies and whole grains. Im losing weight, gaining muscle but I have a family to feed as well.
    Suggestions? And What do you guys do at picnics/dinner parties?
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post! It makes me a bit anxious to veer too far from what i typically eat. If I can't weigh it, and know how many calories are in it, I probably wont eat it. That being said, I have 2 teens (one picky daughter) and a husband who may be getting bored of the same stuff, not that they don't get their pizza and mcdonalds. Also, it's become too much of a conversation between my husband and I who work long hours to "discuss" dinner, which ends up being same ole, same ole. And summer picnics are gonna start to stink if I can't think out of the box.
    I need to restart making healthy casseroles that they like. I like to eat high protein, fruits, veggies and whole grains. Im losing weight, gaining muscle but I have a family to feed as well.
    Suggestions? And What do you guys do at picnics/dinner parties?

You can remake your fast food meals. Make pizza at home. Buy premade sauce, shredded low-fat mozzarella, and pizza dough, either from a pizzeria (many will sell you raw dough) or the grocery store. You can even buy whole wheat dough. Then you can add healthy stuff to it for toppings.

And, remake the McDonald's meal. Chicken nuggets can be higher quality chicken but baked, and you can make smaller burgers or sliders, including turkey or veggie burgers. There are good French fries that can be baked, and my daughter now likes Alexia chipotle seasoned sweet potato fries. Or make your own.

We tried a recipe in the crockpot the other day. Three chicken breasts with 1/4 cup of water and 2/3 c. Frank's hot sauce. Let it cook on low for several hours. Take the chicken out and shred it with a fork (breaks apart easily), return to the crockpot and let it soak up the flavor again.

We put it on small dinner rolls, and it was really delicious. Message me if you want more details, as the recipe was in a magazine and I have to find it.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    @ ChattiPatty...If you like broccoli salad, it can be made semi-healthy if you use greek yogurt (put it in a cheesecloth or single layer paper towel lined fine mesh strainer and set it over a bowl for about an hour (in the fridge) to drain any excess liquid). Cut out or cut back on the cheese (I cut it out completely) and add an even bigger variety of veggies to it. I say keep the bacon because it adds awesome flavor. This is my recipe:
    1 cup greek yogurt, drained
    1 cup sweetener of choice
    4 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
    1 tsp. salt
    Mix in your veggies and bacon (and cheese if using). Make sure to let it set in the fridge for a while to let the flavors blend. Always tastes better the next day. My mom likes to add red bell peppers. I say add as many veggies as you want. Cauliflower would work well, any of the bell peppers, shredded carrots, cucumbers, etc.
  • Stevalli
    Stevalli Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have the same breakfast Monday to Friday but something different on the weekend. My evening meals are always different during the same week but are sometimes repetitive over a 2-3 week period