what annoys you at the gym?!

Options

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people get upset about people wearing makeup. I always wear make up to the gym. I don't have any left by the time i'm done, but as I'm always doing something prior to the gym I tend to have already applied makeup.

I believe (and this is just in my mind), this would be for those whose makeup is enough to be as if you were going out to pick up people, and these people leave the gym, no sweating involved, with that same makeup on. You watch them peruse the floor for attention rather than grabbing a piece of equipment and really giving themself a workout...
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    walking/cycling at the slowest pace possible. :S

about 6 months ago, i was getting back into walking after tearing all the ligaments in my ankle and therefore could not walk at a very fast pace at all and someone came up and asked if she could use the treadmill as i was not doing much work :grumble: you never know.

You're right. It is hard to judge whether people are just doing what they can. It's normally the ones who are texting etc at the same time. I would never ask or even stand near waiting (which I've had people do to me before) if someone is on a machine. :)
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    People using the squat racks to do things not related to squat racks.
    People taking 15 minute rests between sets and/or sitting texting while not vacating the equipment.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    People dropping weights.
    People not cleaning the machines after they use tham.
    People that take up too much equipment at the same time
    People that go to the gym and just don't seem to work out. they just walk around.
    People that keep changing the TV station
    People that take way too long in the shower.

This is my list also.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Another vote for people sat texting at machines. I'll wait for anybody's workout; I'm slightly less tolerant of waiting for their social life to come together.

Rampant posing (and vague unintentional homoeroticism) in the weights corner. As someone earlier mentioned, it's like you've strolled onto a rather salacious film set. No thanks.

Irresponsible kettlebell use. See that thing in your hand? It weighs, say, 14kg. I'd appreciate it not being hurtled about in your sweaty hand approximately six inches from my face.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people get upset about people wearing makeup. I always wear make up to the gym. I don't have any left by the time i'm done, but as I'm always doing something prior to the gym I tend to have already applied makeup.

Saying that, on the rare occasions I get to head straight to the gym first thing in the morning, I just put on some mascara.

I tend to get annoyed if I can't use any machines when it's very busy especially if it's because people are using the machines for social hour, or just watching TV and either walking/cycling at the slowest pace possible. :S

Agree! I don't know why it is so bothersome to some ladies if some of us come from somewhere else and still have makeup on! I don't break out easily and sweat plenty, makeup and all! They make it sound like they're insecure about their lack of makeup or something.
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 169
    Options
    I don't know if this is just at my gym but when guys sit at the ONE machine you want to use and keep rotating! ughh!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Girls who come in with no make up on looking like slobs:laugh:

I see what you did there.

I don't really get annoyed at the gym. I mean, I was annoyed last night because I wanted to use two machines and both were occupied, but that isn't legitimate because I have to remember I'm not the only person in the world. One legit annoyance of mine is the woman who left her towel on a machine while she stood for several minutes talking to her boyfriend while he used another machine. So I moved her towel so I could use the machine it was on.

I don't think she liked that, but too bad.
  • noweightfisherj
    noweightfisherj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    All gyms smell, especially in the men’s locker room. I refuse to go.
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    guys that walk around doing nothing... and women who put on there Sunday best to work out.. I go to the gym with my matching outfits but coach sneakers???? NO!! Thats y I change my gym
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I don't pay too much attention to what others are doing because I am trying to concentrate on me, but the one thing I do notice is people that don't clean the machines when done. I make it very obvious when I see them and make sure they see me cleaning it before I use it. The message has gotten through to a couple.

Come on people that is just nasty!
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    the girls who dress in the skimpiest gym outfit and seem to be walk around showing off their bodies instead of working out
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    3 - those people who think its ok to stop and talk to you when your walking from one machine to another! i dont mind smiling and saying hello, but when the chat to you that wastes like 5 minutes of my time! i have payed to go to the gym to workout not to stand and talk rubbish!

Darn those friendly people! They should be banned from the gym!
  • beabelieve
    beabelieve Posts: 112
    Options
    Theres this guy (I think its quite funny actually) while hes doing his thing on whatever cardio machine hes on, he start to slap the machine around. LOL .. He literally starts to pound away at the machine..He would be banned from my gym, hes a liability. Its just weird, entertaining though, when those hot guys training in back arent there :love:
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    The Music!
    They play the same songs way to often. With all the music available today there is no reason the recycle the same stuff all the time. I'm especially sick of hearing "Hey, soul Sister", its so repetitious and boring.
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    At certain times of the evening, you can find a group of 18-24 year olds using the pool for social hour when the sign clearly says "Lap Swimming Only" and there's only 3 lanes. Plus, this is a gym, not a social club!

One time, I was sitting on a random bench waiting for this texting guy to move his butt off the inclined squat machine so I was checking Facebook on my phone, kinda killing time because it was my first exercise so it didn't matter if I broke my stride... eventually (after like 5 minutes) I asked him if he was using the machine and apparently he was waiting for ME to get off the bench I was on. It was a pretty funny confusion. :D

Generally, we go later in the night (like 11pm-2am or so), so we don't run into a lot of the stuff that would annoy us. During peak times, you're only allowed 30 minutes on the treadmills and that's just not enough!
  • phillieschic
    Options
    The pumped up Popeye-like dude who sweats puddles on the floor and around the treadmill and then just walks away without cleaning it up.
  • arinelle
    arinelle Posts: 6
    Options
    Never really post here much but this one literally got up my nose. A guy who comes in to do his weight session and between efforts lifting his weights he walks out to where the treadmills are, presumably to get the lactic acid out of his thighs. But he also farts out there so he doesn't stink himself out. It's revolting. Gross.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    - people who don't clean the machines when they are done using them
    - people who leave their towels wherever they see fit. Pick up after yourselves.
    - people who start talking to me and don't even give me a chance to turn my music down or remove my headphones. I can't hear you!
    - Guys who feel the need to continue their workout in the sauna. I don't really care to see you taking up floor space in the sauna doing your sweaty crunches and pushups.
  • FR89
    FR89 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    im too busy huffing and puffing or just trying really hard during my workout to care about whats going on around me. Dropping weights and pre occupied machines is all part of the gym atmosphere - don't expect it to be like home where everything is yours and everything goes how you want? Just get on with it ... block it all out if it bothers you.. dont look at poeple wasting time because you're wasting your time judging them!! And dont be negative in gym ..exercise should help you feel happy.. getting angry or pissed off will defo not help you...

end of the day you are there for a purpose like everyone else..however, they may have different goals and stamina from you. so just chill and have a good workout..

*woooosaaaaa*