Breast implants after weight loss...anyone?? :(

Options

Replies

• sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have implants. However, this was to correct a medical deformity, which is why I got them so young. I am so happy with them, mainly because I had very small ugly breasts beforehand. They are comfortable and natural. Do not let the stigma get to you, you deserve to have the body you want. The only reasons that should stop you should be personal and medical ones.

Can you afford it?
    Can you afford it in 10-25 years time when you'll need them replaced?
    Are you okay with scars?
    Can you accept the risk of medical complications like capsular contracture and symmastia?
    etc

Personally I am just enthralled even months later with what my breasts look like. I feel like a normal girl who is excited to go bra shopping, wear a bikini, or lay naked in bed with my boyfriend. Just make sure you find a highly trained and experienced surgeon - most medical mishaps in breast surgery are down to inexperience and ineptitude (especially symmastia).
  • sugarbone
    Options
    My opinion is a combination of what everyone is saying... It's your body, so do what you want to feel good about your body. But I do also recommend therapy - I honestly think a certain amount of therapy should be required before any cosmetic surgery. Not because I think people should be discouraged out of their choice, only because it is a surgery that changes you. You just want to make sure you are doing it for the right reasons and talking to someone can help you be sure of that. As long as you want to do this for you - not because a significant other is pressuring you, or you think someone will love you more if you do it - then I say go for it.

I don't think there is anything intrinsically wrong with getting cosmetic surgery. In fact, I've considered the possibility of getting a nose job in the future (I got hit in the face with a basketball when I was a teenager - I have a deviated septum and a bump on one side of my nose as a result). I get the whole "love what God gave" you thing, but at the same time, you can love yourself and see your body for the amazing thing it is but still want something to change. We are all on this website because we wanted our bodies to change - losing weight, gaining muscles, etc.

I think requiring therapy is a really bad path to take. It should definitely be offered and promoted should someone want to talk about their concerns and insecurities, but requiring it is stupid. It's reminiscent of mother's requiring therapy before an abortion - it's just really none of the public's business.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    wow this is a big subject and I wanna say a few things about it. My feelings about plastic surgery vary greatly on the motive and the result of the surgery. People who were morbidly obese who lost a lot of weight and have extra skin...well, to me getting surgery then seems like it's more about reconstruction or repair from damage from something that shouldn't have happened in the first place. But women with perfectly normal healthy bodies getting surgery to match some disturbing social standard out of low self esteem is different. Its this latter category that ought to seek out therapy because it's true that NO WOMAN will ever be a PERFECT women by societal beauty standards- they photoshop those images and everyone ages. So that's where I make the distinction.

You of course will have to do what's right for you. And everyone is different. But I think that the anti-implant sentimentality isn't just about class and it isn't just about jealousy (though class is an issue actually). I think some of us realize how our negative body image is part of a larger societal attitude that negatively impacts women and girls and when a woman gets impants and surgery just to meet those standards, it can indicate to those of us who are working against that negative part of our cutlure that this woman is not only Not in the ranks with us fighting that problem, she's paying her hard earned money to conform to it.

On the other hand, I caution against being overly negative about surgery because I whole heartedly embrace the fact that women CAN get this kind of surgery to repair damage- like women who have lost breasts to cancer. Or women who were morbidly obese getting a tummy tuck or a breast lift. I support that. I don't think you should have to walk around your entire life feeling shameful of your body being disfigured because you used to be extremely unhealthy (or even just because that's what happened when you were pregnant)- I think this sort of reconstructive surgery should be paid for by insurance and treated the same as any other reconstructive surgery.

And I also caution against being overly negative about surgery because, like other choices women are free to make today, we don't know any woman's personal story behind what she is doing to her body and I support any woman's freedom and right to make choices about her own body, regardless of how I feel about the choice itself.

I have lost girth due to weight loss and breastfeeding...and I've thought about surgery, sure. But I realized that I'm not disfigured, I'm just not like the girls in the magazines and I realize I wouldn't want my daughter or any other woman to feel bad about not being like the girls in the magazines, so I make the personal decision to refuse to conform to it. I'd rather spend my money on an adventure with my loved ones....but I'm also very lucky. I haven't any horrible stretch marks or loose skin. I never lost a body part to a disease. While I'm no Pamela Anderson (hahahaha! yes I picked her on purpose!), I'm relatively well proportioned and the problems I have with my body I realize are unrealistic and unhealthy and for my own political and psychological reasons, I feel a far stronger and more beautiful woman by choosing to refuse to get surgery.

I pretty much agree with this. I don't really like how cosmetic surgery is being normalised in society , but I have to accept that there are cases where it really will make someone feel better about themselves in a way which isn't just based on an inevitably unattainable media image of perfection.

I'd advise to try and work out whether it really will make you happy - we all suffer from insecurities about our bodies, but you'll find that this decreases as you get older and your self confidence increases. The only way we're ever happy is to be happy with what we've got - the whole advertising industry is geared to making us unhappy with what we've got so that we keeping things. And that includes breasts.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    implants won't make you feel comfortable about your body for long. might wanna try therapy instead and a chat with heidi montag.

WTF comment is that?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm getting mine after child #2. I nursed the first one and don't want to take any chance of tissue damage prohibiting me from doing so with the second. Anyway, even my sister who didn't nurse her second (she got hers inbetween baby #1 and baby #2) was displeased with the excess after baby#2 and has been talking about getting them perked back up.

I told my husband that I can do amazing things with my body, I can lose weight, I can run for miles, I can lift things up and put them down, I can bend and stretch and push untill I'm blue in the face. There are 2 things I can't do: 1 - Get my beautiful perky breasts back that I spent 18 months with when I was nursing unless I'm preganant and nursing again and 2 - ever fully lose the appearance of my cellulite. I'm cool with #2, that's my heredity and even if I had some cool sculpting or something crazy done it will always come back, but I can do something about #1. I had beautiful large B perky boobs all my life (including when I was fit in middle and high school), I'd lay on my back and they'd point to the stars. When I was pregnant I still had them in a full C to small D. I've lost so much weight and so much stuffing that I have A's and I hate the appearnce of them. The rest of me rocks my socks, so I want my mid to full C's back. It makes it difficult to find clothing that fits properly at this size, dresses and bathing suits are made for people who are more proportionate than I am, so I just want to fix that.
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I went from a nice looking C cup and now I'm a Double A. Don't get me wrong, I have all the self confidence in the world, I'm just tired of having to buy bras in the Walmart kids section. My boobs went from being perky lurkey, to just hanging there, hanging down. I'm getting a lift with small implants put in place, just had my consultation. It's not that anyone may need therapy because it's a self esteem issue, or whatever you want to call it. I feel it's about making something look as good as the rest of your body. I know that I don't want tiny saggy boobs hanging down anymore looking like aliens.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    i am going to do it after ive lost weight. Therapy isnt needed, its how you feel as a person, so many people have breast enhancements, these days you can be back to work after 2 weeks. go chat to a surgeon. Let me know how u get on..x
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    implants won't make you feel comfortable about your body for long. might wanna try therapy instead and a chat with heidi montag.
    Heidi really is not a good example of someone making a healthy decision about plastic surgery. I made the decision to get implants after nursing my children took my once 34C's down to barely an A, but my hips did not get smaller, buying dresses was IMPOSSIBLE. if it fit in the hips it was WAY to BIG on top, if it fit on the top to snug on the hips. I think it is a personal decision that each woman must decide on her own. your comment comes across as judgemental and uninformed. As far as them looking "fake" it depends on the profile you get. My advice is research the plastic surgeons in your area and at least get a consult.
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Options

Therapy like boob therapy? Can I join this profession?
    :laugh: good job!

I think you should get the implants , you know you want too and will face judgement either way you go. ( Plus go proportionate, not dolly parton.)
    So be happy and get them, after I have kids im totally getting them and have made that clear to my fiancee. He isnt crazy about it but he does like the ones he sees on tv and everywhere else.

Preserve your sexy baby!!
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I wanted to read all the posts, but I can't get past the back and forth stuff, so I skipped to the end.

I am now 5 weeks post -op (breast reconstruction with implants). I spent 7 years with a 100 pound loss that ravaged my body and left me with boobs that were fine in a bra, but naked, they made me cry. I spent a lot of time trying to make this decision. I was getting a breast reconstruction one way or the other, but did I want implants or not? Well that was a whole other discusion.

There is a lot to consider about having this done. However, In the short 5 weeks ( ok 3 because the first 2 weeks don't count since I was in total After-Shock) I have realized that they make me feel whole again.

Yes people look down on plastic surgery. A lot of women look down on it simply because they can't afford it and it makes them feel better to take a stand against it rather than pine away for it. Others can live with their bodies the way they are. I could not.

I am happy I did it. Still getting used to it, but I can honestly say, that I don't have to worry about that part of me anymore. Now I can concentrate on working out and toning areas that I do have some control over.

Good luck in your decision!

Are you sure you're not 26 or 32? I can't believe you're in your 40s! Your weight loss took years off, and you look amazing. I am planning to enhance my appearance after my chest flattens out. I'm rather tall and I want to be curvy with good proportions. My chest has gone from small c to large d. I like the current size, but it wont be there by the time I hit goal. I have also already researched my doctor and I'm looking into the gummy bear implants should run me about 5,800. Not bad considering. I have been with my boyfriend for 4 years this fall, and he is all for my decision. Maybe I can get the boobies before the wedding.

Good luck to all the other pals who are moving ahead with improving the rack!
  • sugarbone
    Options
    I'm going to post this photo I took to show my boyfriend, who's overseas right now, because it's silly and mildly inappropriate (no nipples, just bandages) to show you my outcome. I had anatomical silicone overs. I discussed at great length with my doc the implant and procedure to give me natural, comfortable, long lasting breasts.

These implants corrected my Tuberous Breast Deformity. As a girl I'd cry all the time, get depressed, and wonder why it had to me of all people to be born with tiny deformed boobs. I am SO happy with them. That said, even without deformity, if you want to shell out the cash for boobs and it's really what you want - DO IT! Think long and hard about it, and find a *great* doc.

(yeah, I completely forget how to link an image on this site. doesn't use standard bbc)  If someone judges you by the silicone content of your breasts, it is not someone you want to be friends with.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    i understand getting implants after weightloss due to the 'deflated' thing.

small boobs are nice too, though, hey everyone. and slightly saggy is normal for anything pretty much above an A, or anyone who has breastfed at all. really long and sagging, but still nice and round is normal for anything above about a D (out of a bra).

something a bit radical that i did when i was very uncomfortable with my naturally AA boobs was to go and look at artistic nude photography of other women. i discovered tiny boobs are not at all uncommon on thin girls, and they don't look bad at all (i thought they looked HORRIBLE on me, but discovered that i thought they looked good on everyone else... dysmorphia much?). i also learned the secret that was otherwise kept to men only - boobs are fantastic. at just any size, any level of perkiness or droop, they are awesome. there is a reason that lots of guys say 'i just love boobs' ;)

being so small-busted myself, though, i totally understand the desire for nice boobs. an ex who was a real boobs-man who really should have never dated me once told me i looked like a skinny boy, so i had some real discomfort around that. however, i did not need to see a psychologist to find a way to feel happier about my breasts! i also felt that cutting myself open was a bit extreme since i had been reasonably happy with them prior to him.

my only warning is this: remember that this does involve cutting yourself open. i've had myself cut open a few times to fix a few things electively - a hernia, a crazy painful vein, etc... and whenever you cut yourself open there is a risk of infection and complication. getting really sick and horrible scarring are among the risks of any elective surgery, but at the same time, i don't want to overstate that risk. i just think that through the highly lucrative normalisation of cosmetic surgery this risk is vastly understated. as someone with horrible scarring in places that i would rather appear sexy, nerve damage in places that i really rather i could feel, and multiple flow-on complications resulting in multiple operations, i feel the need to state that, yeah, this is an unlikely, but possible, outcome. i was one of the unlucky 'unlikely' ones.

just thought i should add what i did to find happiness with my boobs in case you were looking for an alternative.

have i said the word boobs enough yet? lol.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    you know you want to [get the implants] and will face judgement either way you go.

^ this woman is wise!!! exactly. *nod nod nod*
  • Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options
    I've bounced back and forth between wanting bigger boobs and loving my small ones. As long as they're perky and not taking up too much room they're fine with me. Not all implants are huge and fake looking, and I I had the money I would definitely go for a consultation.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i can already feel my boobs starting to sag with the weight im losing, however, i personally couldn't go through with breast implant. im just going to get some really good bras lol!! but each to their own, i agree with previous posts, definately talk it through with a dr.
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options

I am also scared to take the plunge...money (a big one!), the whole "guys like real boobs" thing, people thinking your cheap, the pain, the fact you have to get them done again every 10 years or so, the fact you can't do chest exercises so well, 6 whole weeks away from working out while you recover, the fact my mum would never forgive me, the fact my auntie had her boobs done and the implants split and she ended up in hospital etc... Yes, it really bothers me and there are so many reasons why not to! But it's not like I'd want to look like Jordan!! I just want a nice handful!! :laugh: And let's face it - it would make all the hard work really show when you actually had that "to die for figure!"

This is probably the story of my life. Chubby, thin, tall, short, I was never able to fill an A cup. Still can't. Not really sure if its possible for them to get much smaller even w/ my continuing weight loss either. I'm thinking if I hit goal weight by my 30th bday that'll be my present to myself. Everyone that I know that has done it rants and raves about it and says it was the best decision of their lives. Of course I've heard horror stories but with everything comes a risk....right? :ohwell:
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I'm considering it. My only hesitation is the recovery time (I hate to be incapacitated so much that I had my kids without pain meds...in case I had to kick someone's *kitten* and run outta there). I can't imagine weeks without working out. That is the most terrifying bit of it for me.

I am a B, and good with that. I would just like them...refreshed a bit. I just want the stuffing replaced a little, but not really a fan of giant boobies. I had those when I was obese, nursing, AND pregnant...all at the same time.
  • brandi22479
    brandi22479 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with you for feeling this way and YOU DO NOT NEED THERAPY!!! (That mess always ticks me off!) Getting implants to improve how one part of your body looks TO YOU is no different than working as hard as you did to achieve your fitness results on the rest of your body. What happened to your breasts are normal. I've lost a large amount of weight in my life and mine have done the same thing. I've considered it as well... We ALL want to be proud of ourselves whether it's our physical, emotional or social state. Do for you what will make you feel good about YOU! I'm proud of you for your fitness success! People like you are always a motivator to people like me!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Ok, so now you get implants, next year you get "perfect" breasts but you'll think your cheeks are ugly too so you undergo surgery and fix the "problem". But then you realize that you don't like your nose, OMG new surgery... hopefully either you or your daddy are very rich.

Wow...Very negative don't ya think?

Yes indeed. Written by somebody who has never had any I would wager, therefore, their opinion is not one which the OP was after.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Do it up.

Most women in the fitness industry have em.

If you get that skinny/lean, you've earned em.