Is the sugar in skim milk bad for you?

Options

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Sidesteal: I nearly spat my sugar free rockstar out on my keyboard man! (And I'm not even joking)
  • patebishop
    Options
    Sidesteal: I nearly spat my sugar free rockstar out on my keyboard man! (And I'm not even joking)
    To what comment? lol
  • bexblonde
    bexblonde Posts: 80
    Options
    LOL, sugar is not added to plain milk, of any kind! Unless you are adding it yourself? :huh:
  • patebishop
    Options
    LOL, sugar is not added to plain milk, of any kind! Unless you are adding it yourself? :huh:
    I'm not
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Not

Fixed quote -

Edit: Perhaps if you're lactose intolerant. Or if you have diabetes... But if you're healthy and eating at a calorie deficit, trying to lose weight, the sugar present in skim milk is not bad for you at all.

I'll agree with you and do one better, I am a type 2 diabetic and I drink 2 gallons of 1% Milk a week and have through my entire weightloss and have manage to lose a few pounds.... Doesn't effect my diabetes at all......
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have the same annoyance with milk - it's such a great way to make protein shakes and coffee taste better (I can only handle one cup of black in the morning) but it has those ugly sugars. Sugar is NOT added to milk though - it's lactose! That's what lactose is, what lactose intolerant people are allergic to - sugar.

Also, soy milk is not natural and is processed more than dairy milk (assuming organic source), and can cause unwanted hormonal effects in men and boys. I'm not hatin on vegans here but soy is not a health product unless it's like, edamame or tempeh.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking almond milk, but I need more protein because I am trying to build muscle, and 1 g protein per cup is just not enough for me. Plus, I have missed the taste of regular milk, so I decided to get skim because it has more protein, with 8 grams per cup and no fat. The carb count, however, is 12 g per cup all from sugar. I have heard from several people that it is good sugars and the same amount say it is bad. Could someone please clear this up for me?

Okay, I'll try to clear this up, but the issue is a bit controversial:

-fact: sugar is not good for you. Milk doesn't have that much though and is hard to over drink (I don't know that many people who sit around drinking gallons of milk continually all day long). So it's not a very big concern for anyone who's active and doesn't have diabetes.
    -fact: the people who get fat from drinking sugar are usually drinking stuff like soda, juice, cool-aid, etc., with tons of added sugar. Not milk.
    -fact: while skim milk is lower calorie due to zero fat, it's also less tasteful (IMHO), less filling, and has a higher percentage of calories from sugar.
    -fact: there isn't much data to suggest that skim milk is any better for you than whole milk. In general, the whole "low fat" craze has turned out to be a failure for long term weight loss. That's why I usually use 2% or whole milk.

So, it's really up to you. Milk is high quality protein and is great for building muscle. But, if your goal is to lose weight, then milk might not be the optimal choice of a protein source b/c it has a significant amount of calories from other sources (unlike say, egg whites or lean meat). However, you really can't go that wrong with milk. So if you like it, then go for it.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    To what comment? lol

To Sidesteal's comment....quoted again for hilarity.
    I put sugar on a piece of corn and it started yelling racial slurs at my microwave. The microwave got deeply offended and refused to cook anything. I ended up drinking my sorrows away with an armless guy named Phil.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    -fact: sugar is not good for you.

what does "not good for you" mean?
  • ahamm002
    Options

Well i guess that depends what the meaing of "is" is.
  • taso42
    Options

Well i guess that depends what the meaing of "is" is.

no it doesn't
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    It means he likes making up facts.
  • ahamm002
    Options

I could spend a long time writing an intelligent answer to a stupid question but what's the point? There's a plethora of data demonstrating that sugar is bad for you. If you're too lazy to do even the most basic research, why should I waste my time?
  • taso42
    Options

I could spend a long time writing an intelligent answer to a stupid question but what's the point? There's a plethora of data demonstrating that sugar is bad for you. If you're too lazy to do even the most basic research, why should I waste my time?

"Sugar is bad for you" - that's the stupid/ignorant claim.
    "What does bad for you mean" - that was just my way of trying to get you to think about what you are trying to pass off as "fact". But it went over your head.

Enjoy sugar avoidance and any other handicaps you would like to put upon yourself.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options

Yep, because if I disagree with you that means I haven't done any research. That's some sound logic there, probably the same logic that led you to your conclusion about sugar.
    Unfortunately, the onus is on you to prove "sugar is not good for you". Good luck with that.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Deadly it is, like a silent fart. It'll getcha when you least suspect it. It has been known to snatch babies from their cribs in the night in South America.

HAHAHAHA. I almost spit out my protein shake reading this!
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I put sugar on a piece of corn and it started yelling racial slurs at my microwave. The microwave got deeply offended and refused to cook anything. I ended up drinking my sorrows away with an armless guy named Phil.

LMAO!!! If I hadn't looked at the profile pic I would've sworn my husband wrote this.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Unless you're guzzling gallons of the stuff, I don't think it's worth worrying about. There's far more sugar in fresh fruits and plenty of vegetables, which isn't worth worrying about either. The sugar you should pay attention to is the sugar they add to foods like reduced fat cookies, fat free salad dressings, non-fat yogurt, etc.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

It is not natural sugar, it is added so that the skimmed milk is palatable.

Have you considered switching to an organic soymilk, or bonsoy? They have at most 7g of sugar per serve, and about the same protein as milk.

Good luck!

Good gravy. Nobody adds sugar to milk to make skim milk more palatable :(

I do . . . I call it Quick and it comes in either strawberry or chocolate . . . yummmm
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    :noway: :noway: :noway: you people are all obsessed...............

drink the stupid milk, and call it a day!