Is Kinect on XBOX a good idea for exercise

Options

Replies

• talaysia3
    talaysia3 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love using my Kinect. It definitely gets you moving and sweating. I sweat more playing the games than anything else I have done and it's super fun. I alternate between Dance Central, Dance Central 2 (these 2 are my favorites), The Biggest Loser, Your Shape, and Kinect Sports 2. My kids love to play with me. It's a great way to have fun with the family.
  • fee2dancesing
    Options
    Sure! I have the Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout and it's kicking my but. I can't wait to get more games/programs.
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I don't have that, But i do have a Wii, and Just dance 2, and 3 are really great for a workout! especially 3. the 7 day sweat challenge lvl 3 works really well, and it's Fun! :)
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I really like Dance Central, works us a sweat every time. I just got the new your shape evolved and that's a pretty tough work out too. I also like the new star wars. Believe it or not, you're jumping and lunging a lot. I strap some 1-2 pound weights to my wrists and you get some strength training from using the light saber and the force too. I also like to (don't laugh) hold a flashlight when I am using the light saber. Helps me if I feel like I am actually swinging something. Use a maglight that's more weight right there. Tons of fun. And I think a great work out. At least I am sweating and the first time I did these games I was sore the next day.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Anything that gets your body moving is GREAT !!
  • mrswinstead
    Options
    We have wii and Kinect. I sweat my butt off with the kids and they are getting exercise at the same time. Plus, we can do it together and it's fun!

Yep!! Same here
  • JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    We have the Kinect, and you can definitely burn some calories playing it. The UFC Trainer is ok, not great. Sometimes it doesn't read your move correctly, even though you're doing it, and doesn't count it as a rep. We usually find ourselves (jokingly) yelling at the trainers about it. Haha. I know the day we got it, I played the boxing game for six hours straight...my arms/shoulders did not work the next day. I've worn my HRM during it a few times and had a surprisingly good burn too.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I have the Your Shape Fitness Evolved & Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012, as well as Zumba and a bunch of dancing games [Dance Central] and they really get the job done. With Your Shape Fitness Evolved alone I lost 10+ lbs.

Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012 is very fun. "Punch your calories!"

Please don't get UFC Trainer after you've tried Your Shape 2012, you will not even have the patience to dink around with that laggy POS game. Unless I got a bad copy or something. It doesn't read you nearly as good as Your Shape does, I had to return UFC Trainer the first day I got it because it was so horrible. You can cheat on all the exercises really easily, and when you try to do them correctly, it doesn't count it.

Also, the "workouts" are just like a Computer Graphics Generated celebrity UFC fighter showing you the workouts, no interactivity, so it's just like a DVD with fake people you can't really relate to.
  • wildtigerprincess
    Options
    any kind of activity or exercise is a good idea. even better if your having fun doing exercise.
  • nabauer86
    nabauer86 Posts: 39
    Options
    Yes! I do Zumba Rush and Dance Central 2. Both very good workouts! The best part about it is you are having fun so you want to keep going even when you're getting tired. I have definitely noticed a big difference in my body since I started doing them.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Kinect was my primary form of workout to get to goal and still is in maintenance. I have mostly used Sports (target practice, soccer, tabletennis, volleyball & boxing are all good to great burners), BLUW (for focused training), Fighters Uncaged (not a great game but nuclear burner) & Adventures (reflex ridge can be a killer). Recently I got Dance Central too just for a bit of fun.

As nabauer86 says - it's "fun" - it is the only "workout" that kept my interest since leaving the military where I had to keep it 14 years ago.
  • stevenc78
    Options
    I use EA Active Sports 2 for Kinect for almost all the workouts I do. Its not perfect but once you realize that its pretty good. I like how it came with a heart rate monitor that syncs up with the game. I got a Polar FT7 though and use that (along with the games hrm) as its more accurate.
  • lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It's an excellent work-out! It's fun and you burn more than you think. If you do a lot of cardio in the game, log it as cardio. If you do a lot of jumping, squating, etc..log it as calesthenics. Have fun!

My Kinect Games:
    Adventures (lots of squat jumps and arm work)
    Self-Defense Training Camp (haven't tried yet)
    Kinect Sports (a great cardio/calesthenics mix)
    Jillian Michaels Fitness Adventure (true to Jillian form you will work hard and all over)
    Game Party In Motion (great arm work)
    Body and Brain Connect (easy movements)
    Deca Sports Freedom (10 different sports)
    Your Shape Fitness (awesome flexible fitness program with tons of options)
    Zumba Fitness (burn mega calories mega fast)
    MotionSports Adrenaline (haven't tried yet - looks like a lot of fun fast/tight movements)
    UFC Personal Trainer (haven't tried this yet)
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Well I don't have an XBOX but I have a PS3, and have lost 5 inches from my waist by doing EA Sports Active 2 on it so I'd definitely say exercising through a games console helps!

EASA2 is great! I lost around 45lbs last year doing only EASA2 on my PS3, and not tracking food or anything like that. I owe my success to that program, even though it's not as polished as it could be, it still was great. Tracking my exercise, heart rate, calorie burn, etc. is exactly what I needed and this made it sooo easy. I cannot recommend it enough! I even bought it for my friend for Christmas who didn't even own a PS3 yet (he was planning to get one soon). He tried it at my place prior, and he liked it and wanted to get it.

I heard the Xbox 360 Kinect version of EASA2 is far inferior to the PS3 and Wii versions (like half as many exercises plus Kinect is wonky at best) but I would also recommend it if that's the only system you have. Otherwise, get it for PS3.
    I use EA Active Sports 2 for Kinect for almost all the workouts I do. Its not perfect but once you realize that its pretty good. I like how it came with a heart rate monitor that syncs up with the game. I got a Polar FT7 though and use that (along with the games hrm) as its more accurate.
    I also got an FT7 and wear them both when I use EASA2 (these days I vary my workouts sometimes freestyle, sometimes treadmill, sometimes this or that). I found the EASA2 HRM was usually exact or a couple beats behind the Polar, and the calorie count was far lower in EASA2 at the end (due to the short pauses between exercises).
  • BlueBaron37
    BlueBaron37 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I got EASA 2 the Adventures game that came with it and Motion Sports, Uncaged Fighters and a pre owned Sonic Free Riders.
    Plus a mat and some arm and leg weights and a set of light weights.

Thank for your input peps :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    not on kinect ,but ''golds gym'' on the wii is a KILLER workout and I have dropped pound after pound after incorporating it into my workouts before..I might just get back into it now.
  • FireSwan
    FireSwan Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have the Your Shape Fitness Evolved & Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012, as well as Zumba and a bunch of dancing games [Dance Central] and they really get the job done. With Your Shape Fitness Evolved alone I lost 10+ lbs.

Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012 is very fun. "Punch your calories!"

Please don't get UFC Trainer after you've tried Your Shape 2012, you will not even have the patience to dink around with that laggy POS game. Unless I got a bad copy or something. It doesn't read you nearly as good as Your Shape does, I had to return UFC Trainer the first day I got it because it was so horrible. You can cheat on all the exercises really easily, and when you try to do them correctly, it doesn't count it.

Also, the "workouts" are just like a Computer Graphics Generated celebrity UFC fighter showing you the workouts, no interactivity, so it's just like a DVD with fake people you can't really relate to.

I do agree with you on UFC trainer. We bought it before Your Shape 2012. I like your shape much better, but hubby likes to keep UFC for variety. I'll probably not be using UFC much now. (plus I got mad when it wouldn't count the pushups I could barely do)
  • katgirl985
    katgirl985 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Kinect! I wear a HRM when playing to log calories -- normally about 500 an hour, not too shabby considering I am playing a game!

I LOVE the Adventures game, Kinect Sports, and Dance Central. :-)
  • BlueBaron37
    BlueBaron37 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The HRM that comes with EASA2 can that be worn on any game to help log calories ?
  • pumkinoodle
    Options
    How can you tell how many calories you burn playing various kinect games?