What running does to fat...pictures

Options
I have been on MFP for almost a year. I've lost 50.5 lbs. as of this morning. I started exercising last October (walking) and have been increasing the time, speed an intensity. About 1.5 to 2 months ago I started the C25K program. I'm on week 5. I've been going slow, repeating weeks, and working on my endurance and speed before moving to the next week. I am also prone to shin splints, so when those started getting bad, I got new shoes and went back TWO weeks in the program.

What I've noticed is that while the weight loss has slightly increased since I began running (4.5 to 5 lbs. a month vs. 3.5 to 4 lbs.), my body shape is changing far faster than it was before. It's not the calorie burn difference either, because I eat my exercise calories, whether that means 200 calories or 400 calories.

I snapped a picture last night of my chin from the side (a point of particular annoyance for me) and I was surprised at the difference!

Here is a before shot from February 2011 - meeting my son for the first time in Korea!
ChinBefore.jpg

Pic on the left is from January 2012. Middle pic is from 3/17, and is 7 lbs. less than the first pic. The final pic was from last night (4/19) and is 6 lbs. less than the middle pic.

Chin01-27-12.jpgChin03-17-12-1.jpgChin04-19-12-1.jpg

Replies

• jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    wow! i need to start running--seriously. Great job; keep up the good work!:wink:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Trying to resize the one picture. My beloved SmugMug is down and now I remember why I hate Photobucket LOL.
  • jeaninemckinney
    Options
    Your doing amazing!!! Keep it up! :bigsmile: and congrats on ur son hes adorable!!! So proud of u! Would love to be a jogger/ru:flowerforyou: nner but i dont like being seen lol! What a huge difference! :flowerforyou:
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Your doing amazing!!! Keep it up! :bigsmile: and congrats on ur son hes adorable!!! So proud of u! Would love to be a jogger/ru:flowerforyou: nner but i dont like being seen lol! What a huge difference! :flowerforyou:

I started on my treadmill. Just last Friday I ran outside for the first time. So much better :-) I've done it three times outside now! I will still be using my treadmill because of convenience with 3 young kids, but on weekends at least, I hope to get one outdoor run in.
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some running too. Sounds like we're in the same boat there...dealing with shin splints and starting slow. But I can run 3/4 of a mile now before I stop to walk. A year ago, I would have NEVER bet money on that!

Keept up the great work!!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is so awesome! Congrats on the running accomplishments as well :)
  • phillieschic
    Options
    Very true. Running has made all the difference in the world for me.

You're doing well and congrats on adopting your son...he's too freakin' cute!!! :bigsmile:
  • mommyami1
    mommyami1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Wow! Amazing progress! Congrats on your accomplishments! You're son is a super cutie! Keep up the great work. I'm friending you now. I'd really like to keep up on how you're doing. What an inspiration!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You're doing great!! Running is one of those cardio exercises that hits fat the hardest. I was trying to increase my walks to jogs, but I relapsed on smoking. Trying to get that under control again, and I'm going to start back to jogging next week. Keep up the awesome work!!
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! :)
  • LALOCHA34
    LALOCHA34 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I notice a huge difference in inches when running. It is awesome, keep it up and ouch on shin splints. I am W4D2 with C25K and I am loving it. I may have to repeat this week but we shall see.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    You're doing great!! Running is one of those cardio exercises that hits fat the hardest. I was trying to increase my walks to jogs, but I relapsed on smoking. Trying to get that under control again, and I'm going to start back to jogging next week. Keep up the awesome work!!

Good luck with the smoking! It's SO hard. I quit in April of 2003 when we were trying to get pregnant. It became second nature about a year later. The first 6 months were HARD.
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Terrific difference! Keep up the running!!
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    Woo hoo! Running is awesome! Good for you.
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Great job sweetie! This is truely an inspiration for me to give running another try!
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Oh, and in case anyone wanted cuteness overload...here's my crew in March for little man's second birthday.

126-S.jpg
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    congrats to you! also, your son is adorable. :)
  • fatsclub
    fatsclub Posts: 1
    Options
    Congratulations-you will be so much more able to run with your little one now!
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing difference! You look fabulous!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Great job! KEEP RUNNING!