Really need advice here!

Options
I have been nursing a left hamstring injury since March 2012...after taking a few weeks off i tried running again...about 2-3 miles into my jog, my left hamstring begin to feel like a cramp or knot ...i stopped and walked a bit, felt some pain in my *kitten* cheek as well, then try to stretch it out. Went to jog again and had to stop and walk....:0(

I have worked really hard to lose this weght, i have lost 52 pounds since May 2011, finally below 200 pounds and now i feel all for nothing because i can't get into a run or jog.

I'm going to take this weekend off, stretch and foam roll my leg, then try to get into a strength training and elipitical (sp) or row machine...I really hate the elipitical because after 30 min it makes my feet feel numb.

my question is what should i do....any advice or suggestions here would be great....i want to stay determined and motivated but the injury has gotten me down (not out) al little.

Thanks,
Jason

Replies

• rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I have been nursing a left hamstring injury since March 2012...after taking a few weeks off i tried running again...about 2-3 miles into my jog, my left hamstring begin to feel like a cramp or knot ...i stopped and walked a bit, felt some pain in my *kitten* cheek as well, then try to stretch it out. Went to jog again and had to stop and walk....:0(

I have worked really hard to lose this weght, i have lost 52 pounds since May 2011, finally below 200 pounds and now i feel all for nothing because i can't get into a run or jog.

I'm going to take this weekend off, stretch and foam roll my leg, then try to get into a strength training and elipitical (sp) or row machine...I really hate the elipitical because after 30 min it makes my feet feel numb.

my question is what should i do....any advice or suggestions here would be great....i want to stay determined and motivated but the injury has gotten me down (not out) al little.

Thanks,
    Jason

Check with your doctor. Hamstring injuries can take a long time to heal if you don't do things properly. Better to rest it for a few weeks and keep your weight on hold than get more serious injury. Think long term.....
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a doctor about the hamstring. Perhaps physical therapy is in order? Sometimes issues just won't heal without proper care. Don't push it until the pain has lessened significantly, otherwise you'll reinjure it and take even longer to heal.

Adjust your eating for the lessened activity level, and focus on your upper body for the exercise.
  • RunJasonRun
    RunJasonRun Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • RickyRaj
    RickyRaj Posts: 25
    Options
    Less impact activity swimming, cycling?
  • dancinmami
    Options
    This matter would be a great one to take up with your chiropractor, including the problem with the elliptical
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I agree with seeing a doctor. Other than that you might wanna try something with low impact like.... swimming or the elliptical. Do more upper body workouts and some cardio that doesnt rely heavily of you legs.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    A lingering hamstring injury could also be indicative of an imbalance elsewhere, possibly in your back or hip alignment. I physical therapist or even a chiropractor could help you with this. If it's possible, I suggest you find one that does Active Release Technique (ART) treatments. It works wonders. Here is a link to the ART website. I have done ART treatments that have completely knocked out IT Band and PF issues for me. I also have many friends that have similar success stories. One, a very good HS lacrosse player, was suffering from a lingering hamstring injury (sound familiar?) and the ART practitioner notices that his hips were out of alignment. Gave him a couple twists and cracks and the hamstring injury went away for good. This was after this young man had been to the best doctors in Baltimore to try to get the issue resolved.

Edit: Forgot the link!!!

http://activereleasetechnique.com/
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    Just keep walking :-) You're not going to gain as long as you adjust your eating. You'll be fine.
    My feet also go numb/tingly around the 20-25min mark on the elliptical. Do 20, do weights, do 20.. something like that? There's also the dreaded stairmaster... lol
  • phillieschic
    Options
    Definitely see a doc, but it may be as simple as resting for a bit and upping your potassium intake.
  • DeenaSteelerGirl
    Options
    My son injured his hamstring at soccer last year.. long recovery.. plus weeks of physical therapy. Rest.. def. I hope you feel better soon. xo
  • RunJasonRun
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great information and advice so far!
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    yeah - maybe 8 weeks for a hamstring pull to heal. You could be doing some strengthening/stretching exercises for your glute and back in the meantime.

Difficulty is that it can feel fine until you stress it and it goes again. Patience is the key here.
  • 4jenniferk
    4jenniferk Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    First I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who's feet go numb after doing the elliptical for 30 minutes or longer. Second, hamstring injuries are notorious for rearing their ugly head again and again. To get full recovery believe it or not the doc will say refrain from any weight bearing activity. When I was younger I tore mine and it required crutches for several weeks. I can tell you that if you think it feels better just be cautious as it is usually a false sense of security. Jumping back in to quickly can be detrimental and bring you back to step one of recovery. One more piece of advise stretch stretch stretch it will help even when it hurts. Third as an alternative to weight bearing exercise utilize water. Find a gym with a pool and start brushing up on your breast stroke, butterfly stroke, backstroke or depending on your skill level the dog paddle. Just keep moving. You've come to far to give up:)
  • MightyVoltron
    MightyVoltron Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey there!!! This is coming to you as a friend, mother and athlete. I have suffered and most recently my son pulled both his hamstrings. While I agree with seeing a doc,(we sought out an exercise physiologist) the first line of defense for this is high recovery protein and rest. Recovery or "rebuild" whey protein every day even those days you are not weight training as protein repairs muscles. Do not do any cardio for one week and no legs of course. None NONE....I know that is hard for someone so motivated but rest is also the way we PROGRESS.....Light cardio only like swimming and walking after the week of cardio rest. The eliptical is no good, no offense. Heating pad then ice and so on. Anti-inflammatorys......So, to qualify myself I am in the medical field, I have experienced the recovery first hand and second hand. It is slow. Eat clean and you will do fine. Good luck and keep me posted :)
  • misssephy
    misssephy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Take it from me you need to take a step back for a while and let your hamstring injury heal and maybe go to the Physio for some therapy. I pushed myself with that and I ended up walking with a stick for over a year.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Definitely rest!! No leg work or cardio for a bit! Your body is trying to tell you something! Better to rest now a bit then get frustrated everytime you try to run and can't without pain! I was laid up for a month or more with a knee injury because I was too stubborn to relax!! As for elliptical....try putting weight on your heels, that takes the gone to sleep feeling away, for me anyway, and since doing that I can go for an hour or more! But don't even bother until you get medical advice and rest up!!:smile:
  • RunJasonRun
    Options
    thanks again for the advice!