Fact or Fiction? You gain weight when you gain muscle

Options
The reason I ask is being on this journey now for nearly two weeks I either stumbled with out knowing it this week or my body is changing a bit. In the first 7 days I lost 5 lbs with simple cardio and proper diet. Then in the last 7 days I added to the simplicity of my workouts by starting Jillian Michaels 30 day shred (5 days done), lengthening my cardio workouts, taking long brisk walks and eating very very clean. So today was weigh in time and the scale told me I gained a pound.

I feel great, can see visible changes after 14 days and have much better endurance. Next week I plan to continue it all but mix in the couch to 2k program as opposed to cardio every day. So I am just looking for vindication. Tell me its just me getting healthier and stronger and that's why the scale went the opposite direction today.

I know its fact but I want to hear form anyone except me trying to justify my weight gain.

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    The reason I ask is being on this journey now for nearly two weeks I either stumbled with out knowing it this week or my body is changing a bit. In the first 7 days I lost 5 lbs with simple cardio and proper diet. Then in the last 7 days I added to the simplicity of my workouts by starting Jillian Michaels 30 day shred (5 days done), lengthening my cardio workouts, taking long brisk walks and eating very very clean. So today was weigh in time and the scale told me I gained a pound.

I feel great, can see visible changes after 14 days and have much better endurance. Next week I plan to continue it all but mix in the couch to 2k program as opposed to cardio every day. So I am just looking for vindication. Tell me its just me getting healthier and stronger and that's why the scale went the opposite direction today.

I know its fact but I want to hear form anyone except me trying to justify my weight gain.

When you intensify your workout, your muscles need to retain fluids to repair. It is a substantial volume to be honest. This is where your weight is coming from.
  • cheeky0122
    cheeky0122 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    A pound is a pound! You may be losing 'pounds' of fat and replacing them with 'pounds of muscle. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, however. If you're looking better and feeling better then you must be doing something right! I hope this helped you [=
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    You may be losing 'pounds' of fat and replacing them with 'pounds of muscle. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, however. If you're looking better and feeling better then you must be doing something right! I hope this helped you [=

I don't mean to seem rude...but this is inaccurate. It takes a substantial amount of time, with a high protein diet and dedicated strength training to actually 'gain' muscle...and it's quite difficult when on a calorie deficit. I will add, it's pretty much impossible when doing only cardio, Jillian, and on a calorie deficit.

The part not in bold however, I agree with completely =D.
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the previous posts, 5 in a week is too much. Make sure you keep up the water and eat your calories but don't cheat.
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    1lb of fat is 1lb of muscle, however... Muscle is denser than fat so it takes up less space. So when you are first working out and replacing you might not lose any "weight" when you are actually losing fat and gaining muscle and getting smaller.
  • kimberly0416
    Options
    You may be losing 'pounds' of fat and replacing them with 'pounds of muscle. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, however. If you're looking better and feeling better then you must be doing something right! I hope this helped you [=

I don't mean to seem rude...but this is inaccurate. It takes a substantial amount of time, with a high protein diet and dedicated strength training to actually 'gain' muscle...and it's quite difficult when on a calorie deficit. I will add, it's pretty much impossible when doing only cardio, Jillian, and on a calorie deficit.

I gained quite a bit of muscle on 1200 calories, but always ate back my exercise calories.
    Also when you are doing Cardio... You are using muscles, so this person probably never truly utilized the muscles except for typical day to day things, therefore building muscle.. :wink:
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Weight fluctuates, primarily due to water. I tend to weigh more if I ate too much salt or if I have muscle soreness. If I do a long workout that makes my legs sore, It usually takes 3 or 4 days before I get back down to the weight I started with.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

I gained quite a bit of muscle on 1200 calories, but always ate back my exercise calories.
    Also when you are doing Cardio... You are using muscles, so this person probably never truly utilized the muscles except for typical day to day things, therefore building muscle.. :wink:

You can strengthen muscles without gaining muscle mass (this is what happens when a person begins exercising for the first time, or begins a new activity...even without strength training). Strengthening muscle does not add to their weight by any measurable amount, even though the muscles can 'swell'...making them look bigger.

I know that this is something that's commonly misunderstood, but unless you're quite overweight, and actually strength training (whether with intense bodyweight or with weights), you won't gain muscle on a deficit.

:flowerforyou:
  • kimberly0416
    Options

You can strengthen muscles without gaining muscle mass (this is what happens when a person begins exercising for the first time, or begins a new activity...even without strength training). Strengthening muscle does not add to their weight by any measurable amount, even though the muscles can 'swell'...making them look bigger.

I know that this is something that's commonly misunderstood, but unless you're quite overweight, and actually strength training (whether with intense bodyweight or with weights), you won't gain muscle on a deficit.

I can understand looking bigger, but I am talking about stepping on the scale. In fact that is why I no longer weigh myself, because even though I lost several sizes my weight didn't really go down untill recently and at first I did actually gain some weight.
    When you say not by any measurable amount, to me as a woman, 1lb or 5lb not something to shurg at.

I hate weighing.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

I can understand looking bigger, but I am talking about stepping on the scale. In fact that is why I no longer weigh myself, because even though I lost several sizes my weight didn't really go down untill recently and at first I did actually gain some weight.
    When you say not by any measurable amount, to me as a woman, 1lb or 5lb not something to shurg at.

I hate weighing.

See though, now we're stepping into a whole other realm of discussion. How long of a period of working out are we discussing here? How overweight were you? What kind of exercises? If you lost several sizes...we aren't talking over a two week period.

If you are gaining 1-5lbs over a two week period, on a deficit, it's NOT muscle, it's water. Over 2mos? If you're eating enough protein (and were overweight enough to begin with)...some of it could be muscle, but certainly not even 2 of the 5lbs (maybe 2lbs or a little better with dedicated strength training). Muscle simply does not grow at the astronomical rate people who are newer to exercise want to believe it does =(.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    When you gain anything, you gain weight. Matter has mass. Mass has weight.

Also as the other guys are pointing out, it typically takes most people substantial amounts of time, not using a deficit, to gain 1-2 lbs of muscle a month.

It's wishful thinking to think otherwise. If you're on a deficit for calories it's insanely hard to gain muscle mass. You can get stronger on a deficit but adding muscle weight is very unlikely.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

YUP, Totally agree....
  • Jameslemond
    Jameslemond Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    its water weight... stop using the scale and pull out a tape measure. :-)
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Then in the last 7 days I added to the simplicity of my workouts by starting Jillian Michaels 30 day shred (5 days done), lengthening my cardio workouts, taking long brisk walks and eating very very clean. So today was weigh in time and the scale told me I gained a pound.

I have no science to offer you, but every time I change up my workouts and ESPECIALLY every time I start 30DS I gain a few pounds. Someone said something about muscles holding onto water...I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Hang in there!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with everything Chris is saying.

Just because you perceive something to be happening doesn't mean it actually is happening.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

See though, now we're stepping into a whole other realm of discussion. How long of a period of working out are we discussing here? How overweight were you? What kind of exercises? If you lost several sizes...we aren't talking over a two week period.

If you are gaining 1-5lbs over a two week period, on a deficit, it's NOT muscle, it's water. Over 2mos? If you're eating enough protein (and were overweight enough to begin with)...some of it could be muscle, but certainly not even 2 of the 5lbs (maybe 2lbs or a little better with dedicated strength training). Muscle simply does not grow at the astronomical rate people who are newer to exercise want to believe it does =(.

^ Good posts in this thread sir.
  • danihall32
    Options
    i lost 6 lbs my first week on MFP and then i just started the shred this past sunday and now the scale is telling me that i gained 3 lbs....and i have eaten the same thing so i am thinking that we are gaining muscle from the shred (@ least i am hoping that )
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options

When you intensify your workout, your muscles need to retain fluids to repair. It is a substantial volume to be honest. This is where your weight is coming from.

You totalyl made me feel happier about gaining 3lbs today from intensifying my work outs this week!!!!
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    May want to add that people usually drop a good amount of weight the first week due to shedding water weight..

I don't think it was mentioned in anything above.

I would also go on to say that you shouldn't jump the gun with expectations. I read that it takes 4 weeks for you to see changes and 8 weeks for others to notice. I am 4 months into this and i can tell a major differences now. I also upped my calories and I also no longer weigh myself. (Although I am kinda interested after a month of not weighing - so i may jump on the scale the next time at the gym.)
  • kimberly0416
    Options

I hate weighing.

I do have to admit it was longer than a two week period. I wouldn't say overweight, more like a chunky monkey..