Long hike with children (not snarky)

Options
billsica
billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
I want to take my 22 month on a hike tomorrow. I have a baby backpack thing that he can ride in. I was hoping to go for several hours, and hope to get 10 - 20 miles in. (going to go out half way, then come back). I want to go do a test run today after work with him, to get things fitted properly.

Am I setting myself up for disaster?

My growing list of what I need.
Diapers x 4
wipes - one pack
water bottle x 2
juice boxes x 3
Gorp - 2 bags
cheezit - 1 small bag
apple sauce food pouch
Other random food pounch (for kids)
peanut butter and jelly sandwich x 2
cheap toy on string for in the backpack

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I don't think many 22 month olds could tolerate more than an hour in a Kelty or something. Pure boredom, chaffing of their thighs in the restraints, and pure boredom is bound to end poorly.

But, again... My opinion :)
  • billsica
    Options
    Frankly, I don't think many 22 month olds could tolerate more than an hour in a Kelty or something. Pure boredom, chaffing of their thighs in the restraints, and pure boredom is bound to end poorly.

My plan is to let him out often and walk with me. Also I'm kind of counting that at the half way mark we will have lunch then nap time.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I see no problem with it. He's old enough to know a lot of what your saying, you can talk to him the whole way, about birds, bugs, leaves, etc. He wont care much except that your giving him attention and he's in nature. As long as he's comfortable, fed and able to get down and/or nap thru some of it. I think it'd be an awsome experience for him and you!

If you get 4 miles in and he cant handle it, you can always turn around and head back home if needed.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm thinking the kid would get sore from riding in the device too long. Not to mention how bored he/she would be. Have you thought about taking a short, easy hike and letting him/her walk? It wouldn't be the best workout, but I think the kid would love it and you could carry them if it got to be too much. Good luck with what ever you decide to do. I wish I would have gotten my girls into the outdoors at an earlier age. My 12 year old loves to hike, but I don't bother to ask the 10 year old anymore. If I make her go she just makes us miserable anyway.
  • jasperann
    jasperann Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the previous poster. I think the baby would get bored. Especially since they are already at the walking stage. I am not sure what the terrain is for you, but we did a 4-5 mile walk with very very large hills and it took us almost 3 and a half hours. We did have a walking toddler with us though (he was 3 at the time) and 6, 7, and 12 year old girls.
  • cabaray
    Options

My plan is to let him out often and walk with me. Also I'm kind of counting that at the half way mark we will have lunch then nap time.
    He should be fine if you let him out to walk.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I think you have a good plan. I have seen a lot of parents out on hikes that do the same thing. Good luck and enjoy your hike.
  • Misty1480
    Misty1480 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Our 20 month old lasts about an hour MAYBE hour and a half on a hike in a backpack. He is at the age where he wants to walk and explore too. Depending on the difficulty level you may need to let him walk some too! If it is an easier trail you could probably get done in a few hours and it would be feasible. or you could break it up and stop half way for playtime and lunch? Good luck, let us know how it goes.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If you do a lot of bug playing, baby walking, stick tossing, your hike may not be as great of a workout for you and you may not go as far as you'd planned, but much more fun for the little one!!

I'd shoot for 10 miles tops for your first attempt. See how it goes :)
  • Applelina
    Applelina Posts: 12
    Options
    I will not even let my kids walk the neighborhoods with me, lol! They are soon to be 13, 11 & 9! It usually ends in disaster because I'm grouchy because one of them was goofing around and tripped and fell, bloody knees and all- then you still have to walk back home with them crying. Or they bicker or something happens. I love my kids, but the walks are just for me to clear my head now. :) Oh, and silence...
  • cabaray
    Options
    I will not even let my kids walk the neighborhoods with me, lol! They are soon to be 13, 11 & 9! It usually ends in disaster because I'm grouchy because one of them was goofing around and tripped and fell, bloody knees and all- then you still have to walk back home with them crying. Or they bicker or something happens. I love my kids, but the walks are just for me to clear my head now. :) Oh, and silence...
    My kids don't go on pavement type walks with me either as they get bored. My oldest loves hiking though!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I want to take my 22 month on a hike tomorrow. I have a baby backpack thing that he can ride in. I was hoping to go for several hours, and hope to get 10 - 20 miles in. (going to go out half way, then come back). I want to go do a test run today after work with him, to get things fitted properly.

Am I setting myself up for disaster?

My growing list of what I need.
    Diapers x 4
    wipes - one pack
    water bottle x 2
    juice boxes x 3
    Gorp - 2 bags
    cheezit - 1 small bag
    apple sauce food pouch
    Other random food pounch (for kids)
    peanut butter and jelly sandwich x 2
    cheap toy on string for in the backpack

If he gets bored, he will most likely fall asleep. It's worth a try and you are doing great by doing a test run today. Good Luck!
  • billsica
    Options
    My son normally goes with me on my runs, in his jogging stroller. Those are between 3 an 5 miles. So I guess I didn't think 10 was that much more, although it will be considerably slower.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My kids were hiking at the ripe old age of 2. My husband is very outdoorsy, and we started taking our guys with us at an early age. My baby (who is now 14) at age 4, use to burn the trails, wanting to be the lead dog. We could hike for 3-5 miles and he was always so happy jabbering almost the whole way, making you really see things through their eyes. Hiking has always been pleasant with my kids. If you start him out now, maybe he'll be the same way by the time he's 3 or 4. Have fun, and make it an adventure.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    You forgot to pack your sense of humor ....

Go with your plan but just be pregared to adjust if he needs it...most of all HAVE FUN! It doesn't matter how far you get, just that you have a good time.
  • bcr1559
    bcr1559 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My son would love a day like that! I think if you talk to the little one a lot, let them walk whenever they want and plan on really moving once nap time hits you should be good to go. It looks like you have enough food to eat, so I wouldn't worry about that. Also, if the kiddo wants to be done before you planned, you can always just turn around. It will be a great adventure! Have fun :wink:
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have a 26 month old. There is just no way we could do 10 - 20 miles at this point. She's a good walker, we do 2 or 3 miles, but it is excruciatingly slow, stopping to examine every bug and leaf, kick and pick up rocks, etc. She'd nap for maybe an hour tops in a backpack, so I'd think that 5 or 8 miles for your first try might be more reasonable, and to adjust up or down depending on how your child does. And something that short could potentially take you 4 or 5 hours.
  • billsica
    Options
    ok. I'll shoot for 6 miles then. 3 down 3 back.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    And for the boredom factor, circuits are better. Something with water in it (that the kid can at least throw stones at) is even better. I can't wait until the kidlet is a little older, so we can hit some of our favorite hiking trails. Right now, she's more into walking than riding, and a lot of our favorite hikes, even the short ones, have rough terrain that would either be dangerous for her or take 2 hours to move 10 feet.
  • beccacoug
    beccacoug Posts: 24
    Options
    You may want to bring more water. 2 water bottles doesn't sound like much for that period of time. When we hiked with our little ones (and I'm talking 3 and 1 year old twins), I would wear a camel back and just share that with the kids rather than packing juice. You can usually hang the bag on the carrier. We would hike mountain trails no more than 10 miles...Have fun!!!!