Pittsburgh: French fries on salad?

Options
A co-worker told me yesterday that where she is from (Pittsburgh, PA), they put french fries on their salads, and her friends here in Virginia thought she was crazy when they first saw her do it. Has anyone ever heard of this??? It sounds a little unbelievable to me!

(she told us this to make a point that I shouldn't be so "crazy" as to ask for no bacon on my salad, because afterall, she puts french fries on hers. Gotta love woman on woman food shaming/skinny shaming!... sarcasm)

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Not from there but I do a lot of business in Pitt. They do indeed put french fries on EVERYTHING. The most famous is the Primanti's sandwich: http://www.primantibros.com/
  • hutchy100
    hutchy100 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    In the UK we put a thing called mushy peas on pot pies but in Canada where i live now, everything things it's weird
  • charbella118
    Options
    I used to work for Outback and we had a salad that had french fries on it.
  • mrsjtip
    mrsjtip Posts: 2
    Options
    The more you travel, you will learn most places have their 'thing'.. fries on salads is very common in Pittsburgh. I swear we have some of the most unhealthy salads ever.. not to mention piling coleslaw, fried eggs, and fries on our sandwiches! :sick:
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    fries on salad is a new one to me!

Coleslaw on sandwiches is great though (with ham or chicken)!

Egg on a sandwich is awesome too, if it is a steak sandwich and there is also lettuce, tomato and beetroot!
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    French fries on EVERYTHING in Pittsburgh!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of french fries on a salad. Then again, in Arizona I see people dipping french fries and pizza in Ranch dressing.
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    It's common to get frys and slaw on sandwiches there also :)
  • BlackmetalCoffee79
    BlackmetalCoffee79 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    A co-worker told me yesterday that where she is from (Pittsburgh, PA), they put french fries on their salads, and her friends here in Virginia thought she was crazy when they first saw her do it. Has anyone ever heard of this??? It sounds a little unbelievable to me!

I am from the Pittsburgh area, and yes, it's not uncommon to put fries on our salads or pretty much anything. Us yinzers eat pretty strangely. :smile:
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of french fries on a salad. Then again, in Arizona I see people dipping french fries and pizza in Ranch dressing.

Never heard of fries on salad, but I dip my fries in ranch!! Also good on roasted baby reds, too. Fat free of course!
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

people in nj dip pizza in ranch dressing too ~
  • clairebear82
    Options
    Indeed they do! Strangely nice but weird!
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've never been to Pittsburgh but the first meal i had in Paris,France was a sald topped with fries complete with sliced baguette topped with melted goat cheese on the perimeter of the plate. Delicious!
  • GlitterGoldJem
    GlitterGoldJem Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I usually see fries on steak salads more than others ... depending on where you go there's only a handful of them on ... now if you go to a true legit Pitt eatery then it's more a little salad with your fries. LOL Very unhealthy but it can be oh so yummie.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    to be fair I lived there and am from central PA, so this is normal in some restaurants.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I think people everywhere do this, especially if you've ever eaten in an institutional cafeteria . . . I would have starved in college if it weren't for hot sauce and ranch dressing.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

I think people everywhere do this, especially if you've ever eaten in an institutional cafeteria . . . I would have starved in college if it weren't for hot sauce and ranch dressing.

Yeah, not just a NJ thing, I'm originally from Chicago and we sometimes dipped our pizza in ranch. I dipped a lot of things in ranch, french fries being one of them, still will occasionally.
    I hadn't seen fries on a salad until I moved to Philly and saw them on the menu at Chickies and Petes, but they are know for their crab fries so I think they will put them on anything lol.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    some salads have so many calories that it's almost comical. i often see people order salads, and i know that they are trying to get a healthier option. in reality : for that salad, sometimes you could have had a big mac.

same thing at subway. it's a great low calorie option when you get certain 6 inch subs. as for the footlong version drenched in mayo and southwest? not so much. you could have had two big macs.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Yes, but not EVERY salad, just those with chicken or steak, and not every restaurant even has it... and then melted cheese on top of the warm meat and fries... mmmmm :love:

summersteaksalad.gif?w=500
  • ShannonD13
    ShannonD13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Funny. I'm from Pgh and moved to North Carolina. I was shocked when I ordered a salad and it didn't have fries. I needed to order them on the side. Primanti bros rocks. Miss them but I'm sure it would wreck my calories count for the week!