Fact or Fiction? You gain weight when you gain muscle

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    i lost 6 lbs my first week on MFP and then i just started the shred this past sunday and now the scale is telling me that i gained 3 lbs....and i have eaten the same thing so i am thinking that we are gaining muscle from the shred (@ least i am hoping that )

Think for one second. I'm 185lbs or so. To be built like a competetive body builder, I'd have to weigh around 210 to start. That's only 25lbs. So if what you're saying is true hun, at 3lbs of muscle gain a week, I'd be halfway there in a month.

Trust me...it's your body retaining water for muscle repair =D. Look at it as a good thing...if you're repairing your muscles, they're being used, and burning calories like mad!
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I all seriousness, if you want to gain muscle....you should try a different program.:smile:

Good luck!
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You may be losing 'pounds' of fat and replacing them with 'pounds of muscle. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, however. If you're looking better and feeling better then you must be doing something right! I hope this helped you [=

I don't mean to seem rude...but this is inaccurate. It takes a substantial amount of time, with a high protein diet and dedicated strength training to actually 'gain' muscle...and it's quite difficult when on a calorie deficit. I will add, it's pretty much impossible when doing only cardio, Jillian, and on a calorie deficit.

The part not in bold however, I agree with completely =D.

I gained quite a bit of muscle on 1200 calories, but always ate back my exercise calories.
    Also when you are doing Cardio... You are using muscles, so this person probably never truly utilized the muscles except for typical day to day things, therefore building muscle.. :wink:

You can strengthen muscles without gaining muscle mass (this is what happens when a person begins exercising for the first time, or begins a new activity...even without strength training). Strengthening muscle does not add to their weight by any measurable amount, even though the muscles can 'swell'...making them look bigger.

I know that this is something that's commonly misunderstood, but unless you're quite overweight, and actually strength training (whether with intense bodyweight or with weights), you won't gain muscle on a deficit.

:flowerforyou:

I can understand looking bigger, but I am talking about stepping on the scale. In fact that is why I no longer weigh myself, because even though I lost several sizes my weight didn't really go down untill recently and at first I did actually gain some weight.
    When you say not by any measurable amount, to me as a woman, 1lb or 5lb not something to shurg at.

I hate weighing.

See though, now we're stepping into a whole other realm of discussion. How long of a period of working out are we discussing here? How overweight were you? What kind of exercises? If you lost several sizes...we aren't talking over a two week period.

If you are gaining 1-5lbs over a two week period, on a deficit, it's NOT muscle, it's water. Over 2mos? If you're eating enough protein (and were overweight enough to begin with)...some of it could be muscle, but certainly not even 2 of the 5lbs (maybe 2lbs or a little better with dedicated strength training). Muscle simply does not grow at the astronomical rate people who are newer to exercise want to believe it does =(.

I do have to admit it was longer than a two week period. I wouldn't say overweight, more like a chunky monkey..

HAHA! Doesn't Chimpanzee come out this weekend?
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    i lost 6 lbs my first week on MFP and then i just started the shred this past sunday and now the scale is telling me that i gained 3 lbs....and i have eaten the same thing so i am thinking that we are gaining muscle from the shred (@ least i am hoping that )

Think for one second. I'm 185lbs or so. To be built like a competetive body builder at the higher levels, I'd have to weight around 210 to start. That's only 25lbs. So if what you're saying is true hun, at 3lbs of muscle gain a week, I'd be halfway there in a month.

Trust me...it's your body retaining water for muscle repair =D. Look at it as a good thing...if you're repairing your muscles, they're being used, and burning calories like mad!

and will build over a time period with the right amount of protein and calories... right? where's my prize? haha.
  • sar123bear
    Options
    Initial weight loss (first week or so) is usually quite a large number, and after that, it gets to a more steady pace. I notice my weight loss does slow up when I add activity that is more strenuous than a light activity level like walking, but I do indeed notice inches melting away when I do more intense workouts, like a Jillian Micheals DVD or lifting weights. I am sure to get enough fuel to sustain the activity level I'm aiming to do - I don't want to double up on my "deficits" :smile:
  • vipergts223
    vipergts223 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It's likely just water retention in your muscles, dont worry about it, You're doing great!!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    You may be losing 'pounds' of fat and replacing them with 'pounds of muscle. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, however. If you're looking better and feeling better then you must be doing something right! I hope this helped you [=

I don't mean to seem rude...but this is inaccurate. It takes a substantial amount of time, with a high protein diet and dedicated strength training to actually 'gain' muscle...and it's quite difficult when on a calorie deficit. I will add, it's pretty much impossible when doing only cardio, Jillian, and on a calorie deficit.

I gained quite a bit of muscle on 1200 calories, but always ate back my exercise calories.
    Also when you are doing Cardio... You are using muscles, so this person probably never truly utilized the muscles except for typical day to day things, therefore building muscle.. :wink:

You can strengthen muscles without gaining muscle mass (this is what happens when a person begins exercising for the first time, or begins a new activity...even without strength training). Strengthening muscle does not add to their weight by any measurable amount, even though the muscles can 'swell'...making them look bigger.

I know that this is something that's commonly misunderstood, but unless you're quite overweight, and actually strength training (whether with intense bodyweight or with weights), you won't gain muscle on a deficit.

I can understand looking bigger, but I am talking about stepping on the scale. In fact that is why I no longer weigh myself, because even though I lost several sizes my weight didn't really go down untill recently and at first I did actually gain some weight.
    When you say not by any measurable amount, to me as a woman, 1lb or 5lb not something to shurg at.

I hate weighing.

See though, now we're stepping into a whole other realm of discussion. How long of a period of working out are we discussing here? How overweight were you? What kind of exercises? If you lost several sizes...we aren't talking over a two week period.

If you are gaining 1-5lbs over a two week period, on a deficit, it's NOT muscle, it's water. Over 2mos? If you're eating enough protein (and were overweight enough to begin with)...some of it could be muscle, but certainly not even 2 of the 5lbs (maybe 2lbs or a little better with dedicated strength training). Muscle simply does not grow at the astronomical rate people who are newer to exercise want to believe it does =(.

I do have to admit it was longer than a two week period. I wouldn't say overweight, more like a chunky monkey..

Chunky monkies are cute lol.

Seriously though...I can promise you it wasn't muscle gain. Some of it...maybe, but not any real measurable amount. Our bodies just don't work tha way.

Using the scale as any real progress marker is sort of like swinging at a pinata, with a drinking straw...from your neighbors house. Unless you're consistently losing, it can definitely be lying to you. Even WHEN you're losing, you don't know that what you're losing is bodyfat (which is what you want to).

I don't blame you for hating to weigh yourself!
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

I hate weighing.

HAHA! Doesn't Chimpanzee come out this weekend?

I had a supportive role in that film, look for the chunky moneky... :laugh:
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    The scale can vary for a lot of different reasons. Food still in your system, water weight and bloat, and yes, muscle gain. Don't worry about it too much. My weight fluctuates by about five pounds on any given day.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    The reason I ask is being on this journey now for nearly two weeks I either stumbled with out knowing it this week or my body is changing a bit. In the first 7 days I lost 5 lbs with simple cardio and proper diet. Then in the last 7 days I added to the simplicity of my workouts by starting Jillian Michaels 30 day shred (5 days done), lengthening my cardio workouts, taking long brisk walks and eating very very clean. So today was weigh in time and the scale told me I gained a pound.

I feel great, can see visible changes after 14 days and have much better endurance. Next week I plan to continue it all but mix in the couch to 2k program as opposed to cardio every day. So I am just looking for vindication. Tell me its just me getting healthier and stronger and that's why the scale went the opposite direction today.

I know its fact but I want to hear form anyone except me trying to justify my weight gain.

When you intensify your workout, your muscles need to retain fluids to repair. It is a substantial volume to be honest. This is where your weight is coming from.

Which is why after a "rest" day, you tend to be lighter.
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    def water since your muscles are repairing, but like all the others. it would take a long time to add muscle....try to focus on inches lost...and toning up. =D you're doing great.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    So, how long does it take for the water weight to resolve? And would one still notice a change in the body (inches, fit in clothes, etc.) while there is water weight gain?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    A pound is a pound! You may be losing 'pounds' of fat and replacing them with 'pounds of muscle. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, however. If you're looking better and feeling better then you must be doing something right! I hope this helped you [=
    Gaining a pound of muscle isn't easy. There's so much misunderstanding of how it's actually done. Just "working out" doesn't do it. The weight that the OP is experiencing is from water retention due to muscle repair and glycogen storage.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ColeyBear08
    ColeyBear08 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    When it comes to the science behind weight loss (no offense to all the people posting here) I tend to not listen to the people who aren't licenced professionals but think that somethings is made fact just because they've said it. I always try to find exercise science studies in my university's library archives or on google scholar. I also hate when people try to prove that something is fact through personal experience when we typically base results off of population outcome not on a single case.

ALWAYS BE SKEPTICAL OF WHAT THESE PEOPLE ARE SAYING!
  • scorpiorlr
    scorpiorlr Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I guess for clarification purposes here I need to say my goal was not to gain muscle (yet) but to lose the belly. I have gone from a somewhat sedentary lifestyle to being healthy yet again. I figure before I begin any sort of weights I need to be able to stand up and breathe after a mere 30 minutes of cardio. I am not extremely overweight. I am honestly slightly over weight. Standing at 5' 10.5" and weighing 183 currently. My goal was to be a lean 165 or so and not have this pot belly heart attack gut. I have a very defined and toned upper body and legs (its a natural look for me but I am very weak) I carry the 15 to 20 pounds I need to lose in one single place, the belly.

Sadly the weight lifting with simple 5lbs that is done on Jillian Kills me almost to a point its embarrassing. My whole life has been about speed, not strength, same thing with athletics in high school and while I was in the army. I ran like hell and was skinnier than hell with 5% or less body fat. I had knee sx for a torn meniscus and became a couch man. Now I am trying to recapture my once healthy ways.

I know that I couldn't expect the weigh to fall off in two weeks. This is why I want to run again and will start with the couch to 5k next week just because I know I will tone up that way. Weights and building muscle will during with a progression. So for now I was just a bit miffed at gaining weight. As for the idea that I cant see changes now and am just thinking I do. That is wrong there obvious changes even after only 14 days. Belt loops moved down two notches and I coudl never do that also pants need belts now that never did.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Well, that would be more "conditioning" muscle and not building it. Literally to build muscle you have to gain weight.

IDEA Fitness member
  • scorpiorlr
    scorpiorlr Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Oh BTW! Thank you all for taking the tiem out of your lives and days to help me. Thats why I love MFP so many willing, smart and positive people here! I honestly thank you all who have posted here because that is how I learn and strive to be better!:smile:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    When it comes to the science behind weight loss (no offense to all the people posting here) I tend to not listen to the people who aren't licenced professionals but think that somethings is made fact just because they've said it. I always try to find exercise science studies in my university's library archives or on google scholar. I also hate when people try to prove that something is fact through personal experience when we typically base results off of population outcome not on a single case.

ALWAYS BE SKEPTICAL OF WHAT THESE PEOPLE ARE SAYING!

While I generally agree with your point, I think that is unrealistic for most people on this board. If they were motivated enough to read and research themselves, they probably wouldn't be here in the first place (at least not on the forums).

I would revise yoru statement to "Be skeptical of WHO is saying what". You spend a couple of days on the boards and it's pretty easy to figure out who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't.

I 1000% agree that personal experience/success is the worst form of proof. Too bad it's so often thrown around as such.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Water. No physical way you transformed a deficit into a "muscle gain" in 4 days.

IDEA Fitness member
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. What did I miss?