Woman dies drinking 2-3 gallons of Coke

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Now all the people are going to come out of the woodwork saying that water can kill you too. Of course this article didn't mention any other kind of health problems this women had. She also smoked. She could have had a flurry of heart problems already.

Yeah, I know. I thought I'd preempt the COKE = DEATH crowd.

The article said they suspect that she died from very low potassium caused by excessive fluid intake.

Just a reminder, if you're going to try to live on cola and cigarettes, make sure you have some potato chips or french fries. It can save your life!

I approve of your nerdy potassium joke. Well done :)
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My brother who is a 2-3 pack a day smoker and has dabbled in cocaine, once sent me an e-mail warning me of the "dangers" of drinking diet coke. Then he sent me an article that says drinking too much water is bad for you......says the guy who was hospitalized for cocaine usage....really??

From the sounds of things, everything will kill us eventually, with the exception of cigarettes and cocaine, if you go by crackpots (no pun intended) like my brother.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Now all the people are going to come out of the woodwork saying that water can kill you too. Of course this article didn't mention any other kind of health problems this women had. She also smoked. She could have had a flurry of heart problems already.

Yeah, I know. I thought I'd preempt the COKE = DEATH crowd.

The article said they suspect that she died from very low potassium caused by excessive fluid intake.

Just a reminder, if you're going to try to live on cola and cigarettes, make sure you have some potato chips or french fries. It can save your life!

I approve of your nerdy potassium joke. Well done :)

128775638473723373.jpg
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but don't feel bad about the coke in lieu of meal thing. I think all people who've pulled all nighters in college have done something similar once or twice (some of us more). I did it too.

Oh I can't even count the number of times I needed coke to get through college all nighters.

Wait.. soda? Huh?
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    If I were the coroner I would have ruled it death by stupidity.

FTW!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    My brother who is a 2-3 pack a day smoker and has dabbled in cocaine, once sent me an e-mail warning me of the "dangers" of drinking diet coke. Then he sent me an article that says drinking too much water is bad for you......says the guy who was hospitalized for cocaine usage....really??

From the sounds of things, everything will kill us eventually, with the exception of cigarettes and cocaine, if you go by crackpots (no pun intended) like my brother.

Addicts say some crazy stuff. My cousin is a heroin addict (injection) and it's amazing how much he defends his addiction as "medically necessary" and all this garbage. It's sad. I hope your brother can kick his habit.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    When I was a busy college student I would sometimes substitute a Coke for a meal. I know it's a terrible thing to do, but in terms of calories you get a lot of bang for your buck and I didn't have to leave the study hall to get one out of the vending machine.

But you weren't drinking 2-3 gallons of the stuff per day. That's the difference.

I think the takeaway point here is that Coke can kill you, if that's all you drink and drink to an absurd excess (oh, and stop eating and start smoking a ton of cigarettes).

Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to imply it was the same thing!

Yeah, but don't feel bad about the coke in lieu of meal thing. I think all people who've pulled all nighters in college have done something similar once or twice (some of us more). I did it too.

When I read this I had flashbacks of pulling allnighters in the dorms with a Big Gulp of Coke and a couple Hersheys chocolate bars...
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

You rock :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    When I was a busy college student I would sometimes substitute a Coke for a meal. I know it's a terrible thing to do, but in terms of calories you get a lot of bang for your buck and I didn't have to leave the study hall to get one out of the vending machine.

But you weren't drinking 2-3 gallons of the stuff per day. That's the difference.

I think the takeaway point here is that Coke can kill you, if that's all you drink and drink to an absurd excess (oh, and stop eating and start smoking a ton of cigarettes).

Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to imply it was the same thing!

When I read this I had flashbacks of pulling allnighters in the dorms with a Big Gulp of Coke and a couple Hersheys chocolate bars...

Oh yeah. My undergrad had a 24 hour library, and I used to pack a travel pillow and just sleep there if I needed to. Crazy.
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/20/11303027-cola-habit-behind-death-of-30-year-old-new-zealand-woman?lite

Who drinks 2-3 gallons of coke per day and smokes 30 cigarettes per day... THIS woman did!

Apparently, she didn't eat much and drank between 2.1 and 2.6 gallons of soda per day. She also apparently smoked over 30 cigarettes per day. Dead at age 30.

Sad, but insane.

See, that could so easily have been me 6 months ago. Sad but true.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/20/11303027-cola-habit-behind-death-of-30-year-old-new-zealand-woman?lite

Who drinks 2-3 gallons of coke per day and smokes 30 cigarettes per day... THIS woman did!

Apparently, she didn't eat much and drank between 2.1 and 2.6 gallons of soda per day. She also apparently smoked over 30 cigarettes per day. Dead at age 30.

Sad, but insane.

I'm very glad it's not you. Scary stuff.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    30 cigarettes a day is really unhealthy.

I consider 20 to be moderation.

*runs* TRY AND CATCH ME HEALTH POLICE! YOU'LL NEVER GET...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    huff huff huff
  • microMXL
    microMXL Posts: 51
    Options
    How are we skimming past the fact that she was 30 years old with EIGHT children???
    oh man
  • Kayley
    Kayley Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yikes. And I feel guilty drinking a 12 oz can of diet mountain dew once in a while. :/
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    yuck! gives me a bellyache just thinking about that much soda and cigarettes
  • scarlettd12
    scarlettd12 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just can't imagine drinking that much soda. I don't drink it now. On rare occasions I might get a craving, but then when I drink it, it tastes awful to me. Way to sugary. But even when I did drink pop, I could never drink that much. Wouldn't all that carbonation make her feel bloated and awful?
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    How are we skimming past the fact that she was 30 years old with EIGHT children???

is there something wrong with that? i see no problem with anyone having eight children or more if they would like. you shouldn't judge someones family size choices.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options

Sad, but insane.

glad you are on the right track! just more incentive huh? i feel so bad for her family, especially those precious kids
  • mtpalacios
    Options
    That is crazy glad I don't like or drink soda ...
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options

is there something wrong with that? i see no problem with anyone having eight children or more if they would like. you shouldn't judge someones family size choices.

No - I see no problem with anyone having however many kids they want/can afford - but my first thought when I read that was "D*mn, 8 kids before the age of 30 would kill me, too." 8 kids... I have to go take a nap just thinking about it.