Bi-racial children

Options
nakabi
nakabi Posts: 589 Member
My husband is caucasion and I am bi-racial (dad is Brit & mum is Ugandan). We have 2 children, one who looks like he is Mediterranean (olive-coloured skin), brown eyes, curly light brown hair. Our daughter is very fair, blue eyes, straight brown hair. I get asked all the time what ethnicity they are (people have a hard time believing they are my kids)...

So, for those of you who have bi-racial kids, do you run into the same thing? Do your kids look like you?

Replies

• msdoan
    msdoan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My oldest daughter is from my first marriage and she is blonde haired, blue eyed and extremely fair skinned like I am. My current husband is Vietnamese and our baby girl definitely looks like him and very little like me. Surprisingly though the girls look a little bit alike and I haven't encountered too many rude questions yet. I am still waiting to be asked where I adopted by youngest from!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    My son is bi-racial. His dad is Black and I'm White. People say he looks like me but I don't see it. You can tell he's bi-racial though, so it's his facial structure that apparently looks like mine. I remember when he was a baby, one time I was walking somewhere with him in a stroller and some little girl saw us and asked me if I was "that child's baby sitter". :laugh:
  • nikkiej2012
    nikkiej2012 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Well i have a Bi-Racial child (daughter) she is five...every one says she looks like me but i don't see it (well i think she looks like me a little and people say she is my twin)...but i don't run into people that have a hard time believing she is mine because i am full Africa American and my ex is White..so both of us are full of a race(neither of us is mixed)..
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    <
    I am half filipino & half african american. My husband is caucasian, light brown hair, blue eyes. I call my daughter....my little "white" girl. She has many of her dad's features, light skin, freckles, blue/grey eyes, brown hair with red highlights. My son is my "island boy" Darker skin tone, dark brown eyes and dark brown hair, but you can definitely tell they are ours. :happy:
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Yes you may get that for the rest of your life. I am half filipino & african american like cweiler4 ^^ LOL. My husband is african american. For myself growing up you will get everyone's opinion positive and negatives but most of the time people are fascinated of yours or your kids' origin/nationality. All of my half bros/sisters & cousins are mixed. My brother looks all filipino so they ask him that a lot.
  • Nadyasmom
    Nadyasmom Posts: 281
    Options
    I'm caucasian and my husband is Indian, however, he's from the NE region, so he's actually Mongolian descent. (that in itself confuses the heck out of people when they assume our bi-racial kids would look more Indian). But anyhow, they look similar to me, but I don't see it as much, so people who don't know us, have asked if they are adopted, but once they see the mannerisms of the girls, they see me completely.
  • fleabert18
    Options
    <
    I'm half Chinese and half Black (or African American if you prefer) and I'd say people ask me at 2-3 times a week what my ethnic background is. I used to get irritated because I thought it was intrusive, but now I just shrug my shoulders since people can't seem to resist. I normally just tell people I'm an American, but it doesn't seem to work. I'm really happy to have been brought up in two cultures. I look like an exact mix of my parents.
  • TxAlpha
    TxAlpha Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    About to make a dumb remark and question.....

Are you ladies products of veteran/soldier fathers who met your moms during the war........just wondering....
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I don't have bi-racial kids, but I do have 3 bio kids, and 1 adopted. My adopted child is Armenian -- very dark olive skin and dark hair and eyes. My bio kids are fair, blue-eyed blonds (except the teenager who dyes his hair black, ugh).

Anyway, we live in San Diego, so most whites and hispanics here assume my daughter is Mexican. They are always asking me if I'm babysitting her, and/or doing double takes when her blond older brother is taking her by the hand. (However, if we go to Glendale, population: probably 99% Armenian), everyone there gives me the side-eye as if I've kidnapped her).

However, as an perfect example of cross-race effect, my neighbors (Indian husband, Aussie wife with 3 biracial kids) had a party and some of their Indian relatives commented that my daughter looked "just like me". hahahaha.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I am biracial - Black Mum, White Dad.

It makes sense that one of your children looks white. They are 3/4 white. They are not biracial, but instead multi-racial/mixed, as biracial implies half of one, half of another. They sound beautiful, irrespective of their race, though :-)

I look like a mixture of my Mum and Dad, but have more of a brown than yellow skin tone, full lips and a button nose. However, my hair is more caucasian than black in texture, although it is naturally curly. I often get mistaken for other races, though, and some people are surprised to hear my Dad is white, or are surprised when they see my Mum.