<<Need Advice from Runners>>

Options
2012asv
2012asv Posts: 702 Member
I am new to running. I've never, ever been good at it... but in the spirit of my "no excuses" journey to getting healthy I decided I WILL succeed at this.

I have a few questions for the runners out there:

1) When running out doors, does the heat and/or strong winds slow you down?

2) What do you do when you get that awful side cramp?

3) As a beginner should I be aiming for speed or stamina?

Thanks in advance!! :drinker:

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Have you tried c25k? Work on your stamina and just being able to run for a period of time first-speed can come later. :flowerforyou:
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I've only been running for a little bit, but I'm running 20+ miles a week on a good week. My longest run is 7 miles.
    To answer your questions, though:

Yes, the wind slows me down if it is strong and coming right at me but speeds me up from behind. LOL. The heat doesn't bother me at all.

I slow down and check my breathing when I used to cramp up. It usually means you are running too fast for your body and ability (unless of course, it is being caused by chugging water while running.)

You should be aiming for stamina. Don't even look at your pace. Just know you are moving faster then everyone on the couch. I wouldn't worry about speed utnil you are comfortably running long distances and ready to up your speed.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    The side cramp is usually due to breathing. I used to get it all the time when I first started and then I read an article on runner's world that said to take 3 breaths in and 3 exhales. Since I started doing that, I haven't had any cramps in my sides.

C25k is an excellent place to start with. Work on stamina first and speed will come later.

Enjoy your runs! Just keep at it and you'll get better. Oh, and make sure you have really good shoes. It's best to get fitted for them to save yourself alot of issues down the road.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I am new to running. I've never, ever been good at it... but in the spirit of my "no excuses" journey to getting healthy I decided I WILL succeed at this.

I have a few questions for the runners out there:

!.) Yes, it does. Dress comfortably, wear sunscreen and sunglasses.
    2.) Slow down or walk until the side stitch subsides.
    3.) Aim for stamina, the speed will come with time.

Hope this helps! Happy trails!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Strong winds will slow you down (but if you're running a loop you'll have the wind to your back for part of the run too) Heat affects each of us differently, I'd rather go for a good long run in the winter when it's -35C than in the summer when it's 35C and 98% humidity, but that's me not you.

Side stitches can be avoided with relaxed, deep breathing but if you get one stop running, walk and take some slow deep breaths.

Go for endurance first. Listen to your body and don't try to get up to marathon distances overnight - most running injuries are a result of too much, too son, too fast and there are a number of exercises you can do for hips and glutes that will reduce the likelihood of suffering from runner's knee.

http://www.runnersworld.com/runnersbody/

Have fun, running is one the purest and potentially joyful forms of exercise out there.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I love when I get consistent answers. I knew the side stitches had something to do with my breathing but I always felt like walking was "failure" so I pushed through. No more.

I am thinking about trying out C25k, I've heard a lot about this.

thanks again!:wink:
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options

They can. sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Every run isn't going to be great. It takes a while to really understand that in your brain but you'll get there.

I will take my hand and wrap it around my side just under the rib cage and squeeze. That normally releases the cramp. Despite medical advances, this is still a mystery to most of the modern world

Stamina. Less chance for injury. As your volume increases, you will be faster. It just takes a while.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options

Depends on the day, but more often than not, yes. Winds are just tiresome to push through in general. When it's pretty warm, I do slow down, because I prefer to follow my body's cues, and I can definitely tell that I'm overexerting myself in the heat when I'm breathing harder and feel fatigued, but I'm not going that fast or very far. It's something you gradually get used to, though.

Keep running. I'll usually try and put pressure into the cramp with my hand, and sometimes that'll break it up, and sometimes it won't. There was one run where I had a terrible side stitch for several miles, and I was practically doubled-over trying to put pressure on it with my ribcage, but I kept going. Eventually, you learn to work through those, too.

Stamina. Gaining endurance and then working on speed from there will be much more beneficial to you in the long run, because you'll be less likely to give up easily in the beginning. Trust me, once you get the endurance, speed will come naturally, and you can even work speed into your goals. But the stamina is definitely important in the beginning for motivation.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

I won't run if it's really hot (above 90). I'll go out earlier or later in the day instead. Wind does slow you down, and I'll be honest... I'll check the weather forecast and plan my running days based on the wind just as much as on the temp or if it's raining or not. I'd rather run in the rain than the wind!

It's a sign you're going too fast. Slow down.

Stamina.
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    1.) I live in the pacific northwest and we don't get a lot of extremely hot days, but when it is super hot it totally slows me down. But I just think about how awesome my tan looks from running outside :-)

2.) I still get them from time to time, and I either slow down and breathe deeper or walk with my hands above my head to kind of stretch it out. As soon as I feel better, I take a couple of deep breaths and start up again!

3.) Go for stamina! I set a mile goal and work up to it, then when I reach it I go for speed. And when I improve my time, I move on to a longer mile goal, then speed, etc.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I love when I get consistent answers. I knew the side stitches had something to do with my breathing but I always felt like walking was "failure" so I pushed through. No more.

I am thinking about trying out C25k, I've heard a lot about this.

thanks again!:wink:

Also eating too soon before running or not drinking enough water before running gives me side cramps.
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    YAY Runners!
    strong winds - i prefer, as it keeps me cool; but heat - oh heck yes - and sunscreen is a must! and try to get a running pack (wear around your waist - I like Nathan's the best - you can find on Amazon) with a water bottle so you stay hydrated

I was told by a "marathon coach" (yes, they apparently exist - met him at a bar - did not pay for this advice) ... that cramps are either due to running or being dehydrated - and the fastest cure is to slow your speed or walk, and raise your hands above your head.. this opens the breathing canal and allows for air to pass thru until the cramping stops

stamina, 100% - unless youre planning on being a shortdistance runner... speed will come but you need endurance first!

good luck! YAY:wink:
  • tjpel
    tjpel Posts: 1
    Options
    I too am new to running, unfortunately I some how jarred my back, which caused severe pain to my Back, hip and thigh.
    Too scared to start again. Any suggestions on how to try again
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    3. Aim for stamina first, I would say.

2. I have a weird trick for those side cramps. Works for me but maybe it's because I believe it will work. I read that if you put your arm (of the side that hurts) over your head and exhale when you bring that foot down, it makes cramps subside. So if the cramp is on your right side, then put your right arm over your head and breathe out when your right foot hits the ground. Usually I find that makes them go away long enough for me to start up running again and then it doesn't plague me again.