Pop or soda consumption

Options
I've used to drink 1 can of pop per day as a middle of the afternoon pick me up. Since early March I have cut back to 2 cans per week of regular coke. I cannot stand the taste of diet pop. I think I am ready to cut that back to 1 can per week.

Has anyone else had this issue? Did you find yourself craving it? How long did it take to get rid of the craving?

Thank you.

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I've cut back as well (I only drink diet) and found it's not that hard if I have flavored water to drink.

Since I'm drinking so much water, I spend too much time running to the d@mn bathroom I don't have time to open a can of pop :sad:
  • mrsragan
    mrsragan Posts: 4
    Options
    I cut out soda completely about 2 months ago. It took a couple weeks to kill the cravings totally but I feel so much better. I really enjoy viatmin water zero. Natually sweetened and no caffine or calories! Stick with it. Soon soda wont really even taste good.
  • stillme10252000
    Options
    I was drinking 1 pop a day (diet) but since I've been drinking water (flavored water) that curbs my cravings for pop. I still drink a pop once in a while but not like I use too.
  • michele121212
    michele121212 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with this, too. I couldn't go cold turkey so I have a diet cherry pepsi or dr pepper once or twice a day tops. By forcing myself to drink water and have balanced meals my cravings have dimished and now about 2 weeks in it's really not a problem.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I have not had a soft drink since Jan. Only miss it when someone around me drinks one.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I used to drink like a 6-pack a day. Sad.

Anyway, last year I just stopped, cold turkey. Went to just having water, coffee and tea. I think it was a couple weeks and I wasn't thinking about it much. Today, I don't even care. Actually, the thought of having soda makes me sick.

I never drank diet (eww). Also what helped me quit was thinking about the high fructose corn syrup, which is very bad for you. Regular sugar is much better. HFCS aids in weight gain as well.
  • emccand
    emccand Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I was drinking a ton of diet coke every day, like 1-2 of the 20 oz bottles. I quit cold turkey 10 days ago, and it took me a good 4-6 days with severe headaches to get over it. I have been putting mio in my water and it helps a ton! Good luck to you :drinker:
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I cut it out almost completely. The first 3 months I didn't have any. It was tough at first but the cravings went away and really didn't come back. One day I was wanting something to drink other than water and opted for a coke zero (if you haven't tried it it tastes better than diet but still not as good as regular)....for about a month after that cravings came back and I'd drink a coke zero here and there...and then a coke or a pepsi once in awhile.

I've only cut it out again this week. Which is working surprisingly well. But I learned my lesson...cold turkey...and stay that way.
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    I quit it cold turkey in Jan. After a week or so, I didn't/ don't really miss it at all. Any time I think about it, I look at the sugars! Plus I would rather eat calories instead of drink them! Lol
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I stopped cold turkey back in January or so. I pretty much just drink milk, water and the occasional beer or glass of wine (less than one a week) now. My family thinks I'm insane because I don't even really like or drink fruit juices anymore.
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out regular soda, but I don't drink it very much. Once I started seeing the calories, the diet stuff was easier to stomach. I will still have a soda once in a while, but it is a treat, and not a staple.
  • erby2283
    erby2283 Posts: 13
    Options
    I am a huge soda drinker. I drink about 5 glasses of diet soda a day. I suffer from migraines and caffeine is the main ingredient in my headache med's so I know I couldn't quit cold turkey. I do find, however, that when I force myself to drink 4 bottles of water a day, I am not as thirsty and usually only end up having 1 -2 diet soda's a day.

I don't drink alcohol at all and hate flavored water and iced tea. Soda is my vice - but I am working on it :)
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    I went months without drinking any at all, and I felt fantastic! Then I decided "hey, i miss dr.pepper, I can do 5 diet sodas a week." 5 turned into 20. =\ I'm now working on cutting it out again. My head ahces came back and my stomach often got upset. Taking all of those chemicals out of my body really helped me feel more energized. However, if you can keep it up in moderation, it fits your goals, and it doesn't make you feel sick then go for it! There isn't one thing that works for every person.
  • forsettii
    forsettii Posts: 29
    Options
    I have been tricking myself anymore.

I drink Mountain Dew throwback. I know bad for me, but it is made with real sugar. I have really been watching trying not to drink or eat, high fructose corn syrup. Then I fill that twenty (20) ounces bottle up at least four (4) times and drink eighty (80) ounces of water.

I can't / won't switch to diet. I have seen people drinking "diet" pop, that are still over weight and it has been years of drinking diet pop.

I think most of my resolve comes from the fact that if I get my mind set on something I can do it. But one a day works and that is what I am going to do until, I can fully get off of it. Granted one every now and then would not hurt.
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I started drinking non-sweetened (sugar or sweetener) flavored sparkling water (Lacroix is a good brand, also Canada dry has a flavored sparkling water line)... I got the bubbles and I couldn't stand the aftertaste in diet soda so I didn't miss the sweetness. I'll have a soda every once in a while now and it's too sweet. Also, if you miss the sweet too much, you can get mix a little bit of juice (cranberry works well b/c it's a strong flavor and a little goes a long way) in the sparkling water and it tastes like pop w/ less calories and a little bit of health benefit. Just remember that the juice needs to be less than 4 oz b/c it actually has higher calorie content per oz than pop.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I went months without drinking any at all, and I felt fantastic! Then I decided "hey, i miss dr.pepper, I can do 5 diet sodas a week." 5 turned into 20. =\ I'm now working on cutting it out again. My head ahces came back and my stomach often got upset. Taking all of those chemicals out of my body really helped me feel more energized. However, if you can keep it up in moderation, it fits your goals, and it doesn't make you feel sick then go for it! There isn't one thing that works for every person.

LOL. Dr. Pepper was my soda of choice. If I ever got back into drinking soda, you can bet it would be the doc's fault. :)
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i just cut it all out at once. i wasnt a huge soda drinker to begin with so it hasnt been that bad. yeah, i want one sometimes, but i just dont let myself and i eventually forget about it.
  • LKinnos
    LKinnos Posts: 9
    Options
    Interesting! Soda (for me) has never been a craving of mine. I can't remember the last time I had a can of fizzy drink.

My liquid intake is always only water (2 or 3 litres a day), coffee and alcohol (weekend beers are definitely my downfall!!!!)
  • swatkins1c
    Options
    i stopped liking soda when i was 12 i think now it just tastes like syrup if you stop drinking it for a while you probably will start to think its too sugary if you need a pick me up try coffee or some berrys :3