Tips from my Nutritionist -I wasn't losing anymore!! EEK!!

Options

Replies

• tina9988
    tina9988 Posts: 369
    Options
    bump
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    The whole , "it doesn't matter when you eat" bit is not exactly true for me. If I eat 20-30grams of protein for breakfast I am not hungry for quite some time afterwards. Otherwise, I agree with the concept.
  • patricia4j
    Options
    this was really good. thanks for sharing - I didn't know that your body got used to routine exercise like that. Wow!
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    1. Muscle confusion isn't the issue. The issue is 95% diet and 5% workouts. Also the best thing you can do for workouts is weight resistance training lifting heavy. 3x8 which is 3 sets of 6-8 reps and go to failure. Cardio can be performed as a 5-7 minute warmup before training, and then 20 minutes post-training if you like. Don't overdo it.

2. Fat burning heart rate zone is a complete myth. I can put my heart rate in that "zone", but eat a surplus of calories and get fatter than ****.

3. This entire "shock factor" thing is not as serious and important as people make it out to be. The only thing you should do is take training breaks every 6-8 weeks. Either take an entire week off or cut the volume and/or intensity down by 50% for a week.

4. Meal timing is irrelevant. I'll say it again. MEAL TIMING DOES NOT MATTER. You can eat 3 meals a day, 10 meals a day or 1 meal a day. You can eat all of your food in the morning, and not eat anything in afternoon or at night. What matters is getting your daily calorie intake, your vitamins/minerals and your protein high enough to retain as much LBM (Lean Body Mass) as possible while dieting.

5. You don't have to eat clean. Yes it works if you do, but you don't need to. You can have whatever you want as long as you track it and don't go over your calorie intake per day AND you ensure you hit your protein macros. I'm not saying go eat junk. But I am saying that if you hit your macros and you have room leftover, have some ice cream. It's fine.

6. Your first step is finding out your TDEE (total daily energy expedenture) as accurate as you can. There are many ways to do this. If you have the money, you can buy a Bodymedia FIT or a Bodybugg and while it's not 100% (nothing is), it's pretty close.

All of the above!!!!! I was cringing at what information nutritionists are giving! BMR and TDEE....up your calories and lift!!!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

Diet is extremely important, but workouts are more important than 5%. Heavy lifting works, imo, more for men than it does for women.. unless you are training to be a power lifter.. that's different. If your goal is to burn fat and lose weight.. resistance training in circuit form is the best way to go.. exercises that get your heart rate up while you tone. Cardio can come from way more than treadmills, stairclimbers, and ellipticals.

I completely disagree that meal timing is irrelevant. If you eat 1200 calories before 10am ur body isn't going to be able to digest it well and you are going to crash by 2pm. Our bodies are not capable of digesting the amount of protein that we need to be eating throughout the entire day in just one meal either..

Literally everything in your post after your first four words is wrong.
    Please realize that not everything in weight loss is an opinion. Some of the points you have made have scientifically been proven false (i.e. meal timing/protein digestion ). A lot of your other statements depend on the context of the situation.

thanks for your response..

Show me where it has been proven wrong.. because I just went looking, and couldn't find it. I'm all about knowledge.

Thanks
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Great post (and bumping this for later)...
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options

Diet is extremely important, but workouts are more important than 5%. Heavy lifting works, imo, more for men than it does for women.. unless you are training to be a power lifter.. that's different. If your goal is to burn fat and lose weight.. resistance training in circuit form is the best way to go.. exercises that get your heart rate up while you tone. Cardio can come from way more than treadmills, stairclimbers, and ellipticals.

I completely disagree that meal timing is irrelevant. If you eat 1200 calories before 10am ur body isn't going to be able to digest it well and you are going to crash by 2pm. Our bodies are not capable of digesting the amount of protein that we need to be eating throughout the entire day in just one meal either..

Please realize that not everything in weight loss is an opinion. Some of the points you have made have scientifically been proven false (i.e. meal timing/protein digestion ). A lot of your other statements depend on the context of the situation.

Show me where it has been proven wrong.. because I just went looking, and couldn't find it. I'm all about knowledge.

Thanks

Which part?
  • baycat107
    baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I've been on a plateau for several weeks. My body is so comfortable where it is. No matter what I do, it fights to keep me here.
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh all of this information is so outdated. Please please please people stop starving your bodies. Figure out your BMR and TDEE and go from there. See the group Eat more to weight less. For the love of all that is good....feed your body, get your metabolism back where it should be and you will get past your plateau!
  • emmalouarn55
    Options
    Thank you for your tips.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Bump to read tomorrow :)
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    There are lots of ways to vary your workouts on a treadmill. Try "fartleks." They are unscheduled changes of speed and incline. For example, run 3 minutes at a level 6 (out of 10), run 1 minute at level 9, run 4 minutes at level 3. It's as simple as that.

My favorite treadmill workout is 1/4 mile repeats. Run 1/4 mile at level 9. Active rest (walk or slow jog) for 2 minutes. Repeat 6 or 8 or 10 times depending on your fitness level.

By the way, you can do these workouts at a local HS track too.

u are right! I've been making small changes and it helped !
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    BROSCIENCE.jpg
  • long4theocean
    long4theocean Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mzbatson
    mzbatson Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Awesome tips! I have been thinking about changing up my workout! Next trip to the gym will be a little different. !!!! Thanks for sharing!
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options

Thanks
    here is one:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
    in other words - it doesn't matter when you eat but how much you eat during the day.
    Make sure you understand the distinction between DIRECT and INDIRECT effect of meal frequency on metabolism/weight loss. Indirect effect is when someone tends to eat more during the day if they skip breakfast. But me, for example, I'm a completely opposite case, I eat less if my first meal is later in the day (after 12pm).
    Direct effect is what you hear from ppl about "breakfast kickstarting your metabolism" (as if it stops during the night :D ). That's a myth and it doesn't even make any sense - do you think you have lower BMR at 3am than 3pm? I'd really like to see a study showing that lol. The only 'kick' metabolism gets from eating a meal is the thermal effect of the food which is overridden by the calories from that same food. Or to put is simple: exercise makes you burn more calories, not eating.
  • JeanetteButler
    Options
    bump
  • CaroSeraMince
    Options
    Now, I'm not one for correlation=causation, but THE MOST AMAZING BODIES in this thread are the dissenters to the initial advice. Just sayin'.

Edited because I forgot a comma. I'm That Person on the Internet.
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    Now, I'm not one for correlation=causation but THE MOST AMAZING BODIES in this thread are the dissenters to the initial advice. Just sayin'.
    lol I noticed the same when I started looking around the intermittent fasting group :)