Too big to Zumba?

Options

Replies

• katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Try Jazzercise.
    Their instructors helped me with modifications when I was 230 pounds. I never felt left out or unwelcome. I always have fun. The music is always a mix.
    Now that I've lost 60 pounds I can participate at a higher level. When I walk in, it's like Norm walking into Cheers. Everyone knows my name.:love:
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I started at 290 doing zumba. and i burn about 900-1100 calories in a hour. get out there, enjoy yourself. I prefer the class instead of the video. The energy keeps me going!

Do you use a Heart Rate monitor to tell cals burned? Or how do you REALLY know. I'm just getting started, barely can make it thru the instructional video.
    I use a Hr monitor
  • thatgirlamy
    Options
    I started it at like 155 lbs and I was extremely clumsy lol it took me probably a month to get the BASIC rhythm down...stick with it!! If you enjoy it of course. :)
  • TurtleTurtle1975
    Options
    There is no such thing as too big for anything! I have a skinny friend and she looks even worse then I do when we Zumba. LOL Besdies, no one is paying any attention to anyone but themselves. I modify lots of moves because of knee and shoulder injuries. Just keep at it and have fun!
  • jessicataylor2
    Options
    Absolutely not! My mom is a Zumba instructor and there's always a few ladies who are almost 300 lbs there. Usually they will show you the lesser intense version of the moves as well as the higher intensity version. And I used the calculator here http://www.zumbacalories.com/ and it says that you would burn about 839 calories in an hour of Zumba if you're doing it mid intensity. Definitely a great workout! So go have fun :)
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    no one is to big to zumba! have fun shake it and burn those calories!
  • Keeshaja
    Keeshaja Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Your not big I do Zumba now at 363 with the wii and the class I dont get all of the moves right either but Im moving so im burning something just try and have fun I make up my own moves when I get lost ; )
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba 2 days a week for an hour each. I burn about 550 calories in an hour and I SWEAT! I make sure that I am front and center in class so that the only person I can see is the instructor. That way I'm less aware of everyone else and less self conscious. I weigh 225. Was more like 240 when I started.
  • Jessica_Henry74
    Options
    I am 5'11 and 304 LBS and I do zumba 3-5 times a week on my Wii. No one is to big to do it! As long as you're moving and having FUN than you're good. I go to zumbacalories.com to estimate the cals. :)
  • kjhelge
    kjhelge Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post...I've wanted to try this for a long time but I'm horribly uncoordinated! It has inspired me to actually try out a class!:smile:
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    There's a man in our Zumba class that is 380lbs. You are never too big to do Zumba. My advice is slowing down a bit, they do move pretty fast. Try to get the basic moves down before adding the extra moves and before you know it you will get it. It took me a lot of time to get it too, and even now several months later if a new routine is thrown out I am a total klutz lol Keep going, you will love how much better you feel. Also, try to locate a class in town if you can. Having an instructor & classmates is inspiring :flowerforyou:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,896 Member
    Options
    Everyone stinks at Zumba at first. It took me about a year to be one step above a total idiot, lol. But it is a great workout and SO FUN. Just do it! You'll soon be addicted. Doing it with a group is more fun, so I recommend looking for a class. You'll soon have a bunch of friends who and laughing when they mess up and getting fit together.
  • sexycute
    sexycute Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I go 3 times a week or more to zumba classes at a studio near by and I always feel awkward. Lately it's helped to take a friend, so we can laugh about how terrible we are and practice our steps outside of class together. I spoke with the zumba instructor because I felt like I was 'disrupting' her class, because everyone is in sync and I'm in the back of the class jumping around, flinging my arms around, spinning around at least 3 steps late, huffing and puffing, and she' was so nice about my concern. She told me that people like us is why she teaches zumba; she showed me a photo of herself and she weighted over 300 pounds when she started and was just like me, awkward and sweaty. She told me to keep coming, because it's not about the skinny girls in the class or if I get the steps right, it's about me shaking my booty (even out of sync) and sweating! Keep going, you deserve to be there!

Love it!
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Zumba your *kitten* off!! Weight nor size are factors in dancing to your hearts content!! Consider an HRM to calculate your burn! Keep up the great work!! :flowerforyou:
  • LuckBeWithU
    LuckBeWithU Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You are not too big...

I started at 295lbs....
    I lost 43lbs. in 2 months doing Zumba everyday...
    You can lose up to 1000's of calories in a hour.
    It depends on weight and intensity doing.

Good luck....
  • gracie2586
    gracie2586 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I had my first zumba class on Thursday and every girl in the class was smaller than me and way more in sync. Even the women 70 years and plus were kicking my butt (no offense intended i'm hoping to be able to kick butt at 70). The classroom had an entire wall of mirrors and there was no back row to hide in cus halfway through the class she turned everyone around so the back row became the front row. I was so embarrassed i couldn't even bring myself to do most of the arm stuff cus i felt awkward and i just don't know how to get my body to move that way. Too make it worse i kept staring at the instructors feet and butt trying to figure out how the hell to get mine to do that and I'm pretty sure she noticed lol. BUT i will be going back next week and the week after that til one of two things happen (A. I get better better and better til I'm a pro . or (B. I trip and fall and get stampeded to death like Mufasa in the lion king. So if i can go back in there so can you. Nothing easy is worth having and everything worth having is hard work
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Try water zumba. Everyone is under water except the leader. This way nobody can see your body movements to tell if your in sync or not.
  • LFiestan
    LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I was 220lbs when i started Zumba. I had to stop after 15min or whenever I feel out of breath.
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I was around 260 pounds when I first zumba-ed. I fell twice, but I was determined to finish. Now it's one of my favorite exercises. The quickness and "in sync" will come. Don't give up yet. It's far too fun to let insecurities take over.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Just echoing everyone else, you're not too big to do Zumba. I started at 251lbs. and while the first few classes were a bit daunting, I quickly picked it up.

Some advice:

- if the steps are confusing you and you can't keep up with the pace, forget the arm movements and just focus on getting the leg work down.
    - Don't be afraid or shy to go right to the front of the class, you'll be able to see the intrstructor's feet and it will be easier to follow the steps.
    - If it gets too intense, do walking movements instead of jumping movements, or do the hand movements while walking in place.

Most importantly, have fun and remember that no one else is watching or judging how you Zumba, it's hard enough focusing on the instructor and your own feet!