If you stop eating after 6pm, will you lose more weigh

Options
If you stop eating after 6pm, will you lose more weigh is this a myth or not, what are your thoughts?

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    If you have a habit of binging or mindlessly eating, maybe.
    Calories out>calories in=weight loss
    Doesn't really matter time of day.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's a myth.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you stop eating after 6pm, will you lose more weigh is this a myth or not, what are your thoughts?

Myth, definitely. Makes no difference when you eat if your eating the same number of calories.
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I find I sleep better with a small bedtime snack. A good night sleep helps me focus more the next day on healthy eating so I think, no.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Agree with all. While it may impact the scale a bit the following morning depending on when and how much you ate late the night before (just like weighing yourself right after a meal will be different) , in the overall scheme of things running a deficit will be the same end result over the long haul.
  • 010Elle010
    010Elle010 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Regardless of the time of day your body uses the calories in the same way. The main thing you need to be aware of is what you have consumed throughout the day and how many calories. If you want to eat late and still within your calorie goals then you are all set. I work at night so I eat late, however I notice that I had developed a bad habit of snacking right before bed even when I wasn't hungry, so I challenged myself to not eat before going to bed and the latest I eat is at 9 to break that habit.

This article breaks the eating after a certain time debate down further:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/227439-can-you-lose-weight-if-you-stop-eating-after-6-pm/
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Well for some it would work. Say if you eat dinner at 5 then munch on junk until you go to bed at 10 or 11, yeah you'd lose weight if you cut it out. For some people if they would just quit snacking after dinner, they'd lose weight and maybe by telling themselves they CAN'T have anything after 6, it works for them. To each his/her own. I myself, can't do it but when I do eat after dinner it's usually something that's not bad for me.
    It's all about calories in and calories burnt so in the end its how many you had in one day, not when you ate it.
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    Pure myth. It comes from the fact that people who eat after a certain time will add in a fourth meal or midnight snacking or some such. In other words, eat more food (calories) than somebody who doesn't eat after a certain time. They then took this and made up myths that you shouldn't eat after a certain time. Completely false. You can eat at whatever time you want. It's the calories that count, not when you eat them.
  • samlankford
    samlankford Posts: 334
    Options
    I TRY to not eat anything after 8, find that I have a hard time sleeping if I do.. usually the only thing I will have it maybe some sugar free jello and a little cool whip or some air popped popcorn... I see no harm in eating after 6pm as long as it is healthy food and not something like a greasy cheese steak
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    it's true. Also i've hung out with the loch ness monster, true story.
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It's a myth.

Nah, I don't agree. Yes, in a sense, you could say it's a myth, but what you are doing is allowing the food to digest properly. You tend to be more sedentary (most people) in the evening and your system shuts down at night when you sleep - so how would you digest those late night snacks?? The sooner you stop eating the easier it is for the body to digest. Remember (some of you) being told to wait half an hour before swimming? Similar principle.
  • keegannati
    keegannati Posts: 114
    Options
    The reasoning behind this myth is that people tend to eat unhealthy, high-calorie things at night. It doesn't matter what time of day you eat as long as it's within your goals.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

It's an oversimplified expression of the idea that the earlier you stop eating, that is, the smaller your eating window, the fewer calories you are likely to consume overall. As the others said, it doesn't matter when you eat; it matters how much you eat.

It's a form of Intermittent Fasting ("IF"), with which many people have had success.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Nah, its just a myth.

Whether you eat after 6 or 10pm doesn't matter as long as you stay within your calorie goal.
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I never go to bed hungry!! As a matter of fact I have a bowl of cereal every night before bed. I stay under my calorie goal. It doesn't matter what time you eat so long as you don't go over. At least that's the way it is for me!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Calories don't count double after 6 pm lol
  • rolley89
    rolley89 Posts: 13
    Options
    This is good information. I though it was a metabolism type issue. If you eat and go right to sleep your body never has a chance to burn off the calories and it is scored as fat?
  • BrayneZ
    BrayneZ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I eat a 125g slab of fresh mozzarella before bed, and losing.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It works for me--but I have a hard time not eating at night--my worst time! When I can control my night time eating it really shows on the scale.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    It's a myth.

Nah, I don't agree. Yes, in a sense, you could say it's a myth, but what you are doing is allowing the food to digest properly. You tend to be more sedentary (most people) in the evening and your system shuts down at night when you sleep - so how would you digest those late night snacks?? The sooner you stop eating the easier it is for the body to digest. Remember (some of you) being told to wait half an hour before swimming? Similar principle.
    This part above, is the myth. Your digestive process continues on your sleep.

Even if you burn less cals in your sleep, it's irrelevant when you pan out and look at the big picture. You can literally eat all your calories before bed and have the same great results.