25 worst passwords of 2011

Options
13»

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    As someone who works in IT, it scares me some of the passwords I have seen. I have walked up to a desk, picked a word from a poster on the wall, and been able to log in to their computer with it.

Um, can I ask why you would be walking up to someone's computer and logging in when they are not there? Not only that but why would someone give you their password to log on in the first place?

Actually, in that particular case, we had the right to log in to any of the computers. There was no such thing as "your" computer; they all belonged to the organization, and this was clearly stated. It was annoying when people would submit a ticket to have a computer problem fixed, and then leave the computer logged in but locked under their id. Trust me, the last thing I want to know is someone else's password; between work and home I have at least 30 to 40 passwords to deal with just for me.

I just find that odd. Our computers were the companies as well but we were never to give our password out to anyone.

Interesting.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    As someone who works in IT, it scares me some of the passwords I have seen. I have walked up to a desk, picked a word from a poster on the wall, and been able to log in to their computer with it.

Um, can I ask why you would be walking up to someone's computer and logging in when they are not there? Not only that but why would someone give you their password to log on in the first place?

Actually, in that particular case, we had the right to log in to any of the computers. There was no such thing as "your" computer; they all belonged to the organization, and this was clearly stated. It was annoying when people would submit a ticket to have a computer problem fixed, and then leave the computer logged in but locked under their id. Trust me, the last thing I want to know is someone else's password; between work and home I have at least 30 to 40 passwords to deal with just for me.
    Couldn't you log in as an administrator?
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Windows 95 didn't allow for that convenience, when you had the computer locked. :) Of course, I could have just rebooted the system and let them lose whatever work they had in progress.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have the same three to four password variations for everything...all pretty AWESOME and hard to guess, numbers, symbols, caps, etc. I have one for online accounts (paying bills, banking), one for internet sites (MFP, FB, Email, etc) and one for work things. The problem is...I never know which goes with which account...and I am always getting locked out! :P
  • Wreak_Havoc
    Wreak_Havoc Posts: 597
    Options
    Here's a few other tricks I've seen while doing computer security sweeps. (Yes, I am. Sorry)

From this thread. Son's name - how could they get the name? A lot of people put the name and date taken on the back of the picture. 3 seconds to open up the pic and find the name.

Real Life encounters. Black keyboard, black sharpie. Any questions?
    This one was good, but only took me three times to get it. Paperweight on desk the number "3". Not the name but you get the hack. Motamore Alfred Snodgrass. Password = toArSda. ( "." being the special character.

Whatever password you use should be at least 8-12 characters and have upper, lowwer case, number, and special character..

For those working in larger companies with tons of different passwords, sugget that they look into "Active Directory" One password, all program access, and changed every 90 days.
  • Wreak_Havoc
    Wreak_Havoc Posts: 597
    Options

IT departments should be setting up every computer and have a master admin log in with a admin password.
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    No one would guess my passwords. My work one has to be changed every 60 days and if someone tries to guess your password, after the 3rd try it locks you out.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    "1-2-3-4-5? That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard of in my life! That's the kinda thing an idiot would have on his luggage!"
    -Spaceballs

I just spit my coffee out...... :laugh: Great movie!
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I like picking random stuff like.
    beefcalculator1
    badunkadonk 1
    nippleclamp1

stuff like that.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Here is one for you that I used in the past.. I'll post it the way I saw it on a shirt since it will be blocked otherwise

abc
    def
    uck
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options

I can log in as an admin, but it will boot off your account and lose any progress on anything you have open, or I can reboot your machine and it will make you lose progress on anything you had running. Also I work on some weekends and people add things like "fix ASAP" and I'm off monday and some people get downright NASTY if it's not fixed monday when they come in, so yeah, I either have to boot them (and hear them whine about how that excel sheet they never saved got lost and it was 8 million hours of work), or I have to hear them whine about how horrible I am because I can't fix a "simple" problem that's probably their fault anyway. so yeah, if you use a stupid password, or write it on a stick it note, I'm going to use it to avoid the above 2 problems. Also even if I log in as an admin, I can still go to the c drive, documents and settings, and your profile folder and look @ your documents anyway, you're not hiding anything, so what's the issue? My company also states that pcs are company property not "yours". if we had to wait for you to login everytime you had an issue nothing would ever get fixed.
  • BodyPumpDaveInFL
    BodyPumpDaveInFL Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    These are not mine but they illustrate the concept of an "idea" that is spelled wrong with numbers and letters:

KantB2Tuf
    KnotSoE4u
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    35mf75.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA THIS MADE ME LAUGH SO MUCH :laugh: :laugh: :sad: :sad: :laugh: :laugh:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I work in health care, and we are grilled about always closing out of our scheduling/charting program when we get up to do anything. But the actual computer is not a huge deal itself!
  • LuckBeWithU
    LuckBeWithU Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    DROWSSAP