Anyone have sugar issues?

Options
chris1529
chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
I was just curious to see if anyone here has sugar issues. Maybe pre-diabetes. I have been monitoring my sugars in the morning (fasting) and they have been in the low 100s! I had gestational diabetes with my last 2 pregnancies and my father has diabetes. My grandma (father's mom) also had diabetes and was diagnosed in her late 20s! She passed away at the age of 63. She developed heart disease with the diabetes. My numbers are sometimes normal and sometimes in the pre-diabetes range. Morning readings shouldn't be above 100. They say that 2 hours after a meal, it should be no higher than 140. I am 34 and 5'2 and weigh 152 pounds. I was told by the lady that does my sonograms (BTW she is awesome and studied at John Hopkins Hospital), that I probably have sugar issues and that I need to start taking better care of myself so that I can avoid getting diabetes. If anyone else has sugar issues please post. Has exercise helped with your sugar levels. My sonographer friend said that people have actually stopped sugar issues and even diabetes with healthy foods and exercise!

Replies

• PSGPolly
    PSGPolly Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed diabetic 3 years ago after some years of being warned that I was pre. Have the three baddies-blood pressure, cholestrol and high sugar...along with being obese. A year ago I got serious, joined a gym with nutrition support, have lost 50kg and am fitter than ever in my life. Two months ago I felt really ill and weak- my sugar levels were dangerously low!!! I have been taken off the diabetic medication since then and my HB1C (three monthly glucose test) is normal. Still have 15-20kg to lose and my blood pressure needs treating but YES diet and exercise can make a huge difference.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    After watching my mother suffer from kidney failure due to type II diabetes, I researched "preventing diabetes" and that is when I learned about the South Beach Living plan, which was first developed to help prevent diabetes and heart disease, the weight loss was a nice bonus. It's a great way to control your sugar intake and eat fantastic meals.
  • keemja88
    keemja88 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have had type 2 Diabetes for 4 years. I recently started Myfitnesspal and my A1C has gone down 4 points in just 6 weeks just through exercise and watching my calories. I haven't had this much success in years! So yes, exercise really, really, really helps!
  • chris1529
    Options
    Wow! It sounds like exercise and diet makes a huge difference!
  • chris1529
    Options
    bump
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a great way to lower your blood sugar. Sometimes when you start a more vigorous program it can actually cause a slight elevation right after exercise but overall it will still help lower it. Once your body adjusts to the new exercise it will usually drop your BG nicely.

I eat to my meter. Whenever I eat an untested food I test 2 hrs later. Sometimes even 3 hrs later just to be safe that I'm not getting a delayed reaction (pasta does that to me). Just because a food doesn't spike me doesn't mean it is the same for you and vice versa. I have loads of things I can't eat that other diabetics can. This includes things with sugar alcohol, some people metabolize sugar alcohols with no BG impact and for others it's the same as eating sugar.

I also spread my carbs out throughout the day. I no longer eat much starch but try for whole grains which makes your blood sugar more stable.

A great place to learn about eating to your meter bloodsugar101.com
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Reducing carbohydrate intake will assist with high blood sugars, this means eating more fat (assuming you have enough protein already and wish to keep the calories the same).

Don't know if exercise helps, or what sort of exercise. See the Recommendations section(scroll down) at http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/29/6/1433.full
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm a Type 2 diabetic, and I can't stress the benefit of regular exercise enough. While eating to my meter to determine what I can and can't eat has helped me bring my glucose levels into a normal range, regular exercise has helped me to an A1C number better than most of the non-diabetics I know. With diet alone, my daily average (I test my glucose at least 3 x per day) is around 95. When I'm exercising regularly, my daily average is around 80. May not sound like much, but that's a huge difference for a diabetic.
  • chris1529
    Options
    My fasting glucose has been around 102-105. It was 117 before I started eating better and exercising. I had a PB sandwich on wheat bread and an activia yougart at 3:45. I am going to test at 5:45 to see what my levels are. Question. Are you supposed to test 2 hours after your 1st bite or last bite? I always though it was your last bite but then I read something the other day that said 1st bite. What if you're a slow eater lol?? It's funny too cause I am trying to get my kids to eat better too. They also are at a very increased risk of diabetes with all the history in our family! Not to mention the gestational diabetes that I had while pregnant with them!
  • chris1529
    Options
    Wow! I'm surprised! I checked it and it was 101! :) I don't understand how my fasting is a little higher than that! You go all night without food! :/
  • jsedivy
    jsedivy Posts: 14
    Options
    Wow you all know how to scare some one lol, Ive been diabetic for about 5 years now and really struggled to control it, my bsl has been in the 20's the last few months but i have managed to win the fight so far and now their back to normal, i find even sugar in my coffee will raise them 10 points, the idea of heart disease and kidney failure makes me want to try harder. ive switched to equal instead of sugar and by using this web site have been able to monitor my food intake, now this is very controversial but what do people think about stomach stapling the dr's say it cures diabetes and give you 30 years extra life, yes id like to do it the hard way but when is it time to say i need to get rid of diabetes. the fact is for me its probably no good by the time i loose the required 10 kilos ill only have 15 to go but surely this procedure must be good for some
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    Eat whole grains; avoid refined flours, white rice, instant brown rice, instant oatmeal, cream of wheat, or farina
    Eat whole fruit, avoiding juice
    Use fruit as a desert, saving things like pastries and ice cream for celebrations or occasional treats
    Learn and consider using the diabetic exchange system
    Learn the difference between non starchy and starchy vegetables
    Work with a health care professional to determine an appropriate carb level for you, and work to keep your carb consumption steady throughout the day - avoid spikes in carbohydrate consumption that will cause your body to spike insulin production

Exercise.

Lose weight.

http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/nal_display/index.php?info_center=4&tax_level=3&tax_subject=358&topic_id=1611&level3_id=5962&level4_id=0&level5_id=0&placement_default=0
  • chris1529
    Options
    Wow you all know how to scare some one lol, Ive been diabetic for about 5 years now and really struggled to control it, my bsl has been in the 20's the last few months but i have managed to win the fight so far and now their back to normal, i find even sugar in my coffee will raise them 10 points, the idea of heart disease and kidney failure makes me want to try harder. ive switched to equal instead of sugar and by using this web site have been able to monitor my food intake, now this is very controversial but what do people think about stomach stapling the dr's say it cures diabetes and give you 30 years extra life, yes id like to do it the hard way but when is it time to say i need to get rid of diabetes. the fact is for me its probably no good by the time i loose the required 10 kilos ill only have 15 to go but surely this procedure must be good for some

Honestly I wouldn't want to do the stomach stapling and I have never even heard of that being done to cure diabetes. The only cure I've ever heard of is exercise, eating healthy, and stress less (more sleep). It's all about the sugar (carbs) that you eat. Some people can't handle all that sugar. I have heard of natural supplements helping as well. Like cinnamon and chromium. Your sugar was in the 20s?! Did you mean 200s??
  • jsedivy
    Options
    nah in in Australia we measure differently 5.0 is normal 28.0 is of the chart and not even hospital bsl readers can read above that, stomach stapling has been proven to cure diabetes with a news report the other day stating it cures bsl problems straight away, BUT it is a very last resort and not for me as i want to be able to go out with family and have some control over what i eat, not be restricted to tea spoons of food, right now my problem is keeping my sugars stable they fluctuate so much i was 9.9 this morning had breaky took meds came back from walk and was 3.8 two more points down and im at risk of stroke, im seeing dr and dietitian tomorrow which will be great. I agree with past post lots of whole grain foods with a good balance of nutritional foods.
  • chris1529
    Options
    nah in in Australia we measure differently 5.0 is normal 28.0 is of the chart and not even hospital bsl readers can read above that, stomach stapling has been proven to cure diabetes with a news report the other day stating it cures bsl problems straight away, BUT it is a very last resort and not for me as i want to be able to go out with family and have some control over what i eat, not be restricted to tea spoons of food, right now my problem is keeping my sugars stable they fluctuate so much i was 9.9 this morning had breaky took meds came back from walk and was 3.8 two more points down and im at risk of stroke, im seeing dr and dietitian tomorrow which will be great. I agree with past post lots of whole grain foods with a good balance of nutritional foods.

What does those numbers equal in US terms? Is 28.0 like 500-600? Just curious. I've heard that eating a lot of fiber is really helpful. I just checked my sugar after dinner tonight and it said 105! :) It just seems to get a little higher when I eat something full of lots of sugar. I thought about going to the doctor and having them check me for pre-diabetes. My sugar also seems to be a little higher in the mornings. They say that the norm is 70-100 and mine are usually 102-105. Before I started exercising, it was 117.
  • jsedivy
    Options
    it is normal to spike with sugars especially when you eat sugar, i don't know the American conversions but 28.0 would be your highest, when your pre diabetic or diabetic your sugars would be high all day without diet or exercise and when they get to our 10 its medication time, i just googled the conversion American levels are x 18 The conversion is x18. For example, our 1 is your 18. Our 10 is your 180. :), so 28 would be 504, our normal range is 90 in your readings.
  • Dietz27
    Dietz27 Posts: 107
    Options
    I am only one month in but dropped my first A1C on 3/7/12 of 7.6 down to 6.0, lost 15 lbs and did it by walking everyday and reducing carbs.
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    , now this is very controversial but what do people think about stomach stapling the dr's say it cures diabetes and give you 30 years extra life, yes id like to do it the hard way but when is it time to say i need to get rid of diabetes. the fact is for me its probably no good by the time i loose the required 10 kilos ill only have 15 to go but surely this procedure must be good for some

You can't cure diabeties you can control it but not cure. (by this I mean diet and exerscie is the best thing you can do to help it but if you gain the weight back you will have the same issue that you had before, its never really gone just under control)

With stomach stappling you have to eat such small amounts of food all day long. this makes it much harder to spike your blood sugars because you can't take in that much at one time. Plus the constant eating makes it so your bsl stay more consistant through out the day.
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I am only one month in but dropped my first A1C on 3/7/12 of 7.6 down to 6.0, lost 15 lbs and did it by walking everyday and reducing carbs.

great job keep up the good work