Thin but still have flabby areas

Options
I lost over 80lbs last year through counting calories and exercise. I hit my goal weight in November and have been maintaining within a small range since then. I am 5'7" and maintaining between 128-132 lbs which puts my BMI right around 20 (not that it means much.) I have not had my body fat tested but according to calculators based on measurements and the definition visible in my arms, upper abs and legs I would guess that it is around 20%. Also after looking at stats on my body gallery and on here I seem to be able to fit in pretty small sizes for my height and weight (size 0,2) so I do not think that I am "skinny fat".

My problem is my lower belly and butt/upper thigh area are still flabby. I think at least part of it is excess skin by the way it hangs during planks etc (yuck!) but I am wondering if there is still fat there. I am concerned about losing any more weight because I already get told that I am too thin. Also my ribs show in my chest and my hips protrude a bit. The bones are even more prominent at the lower end of my maintenance range. I am very active every day and I currently lift 3 times per week with heavy dumbbells but I do not belong to a gym so I am limited to things I can do at home.

How do you know if it is skin or fat or a combination of both? Would working on lowering my body fat help with these areas without making me look gaunt and too thin in other areas? I would love any tips or suggestions. Thanks!

Replies

• ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Having a small layer of body fat is normal, but it does sound more like excess skin. If you're already doing muscle-building exercises for your legs (like squats and lunges) then start working on your skin from the outside. Buy a body brush and a nice moisturiser, and your skin will get to where it's meant to be eventually.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Great question! I'm struggling with the same problem myself. I've been doing Jillian Michael's Six Week to Six Pack video, which is circuit training that focuses on core. In theory it should work, and I do feel tightness in my abs, but the fat's not going anywhere.
  • lunalulu2
    lunalulu2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Having a small layer of body fat is normal, but it does sound more like excess skin. If you're already doing muscle-building exercises for your legs (like squats and lunges) then start working on your skin from the outside. Buy a body brush and a nice moisturiser, and your skin will get to where it's meant to be eventually.

Thank you for the suggestion! Maybe I should have posted this in a different section of the boards. I was hoping for some more suggestions.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    This seems like the right board. I'm appreciative of the post, too. I'm in the same boat. I'm just going to keep lifting, doing cardio, and eating clean and hope the rest shapes up eventually. Annoying, though.
  • lunalulu2
    Options
    This seems like the right board. I'm appreciative of the post, too. I'm in the same boat. I'm just going to keep lifting, doing cardio, and eating clean and hope the rest shapes up eventually. Annoying, though.

Yeah that has been my approach for the last few months. I have read that the excess skin can tighten for at least a year after being at a stable weight so I keep hoping it will get better but I have not seen much change so far.
  • christyallgood
    christyallgood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Your concerms are exactly the same as mine. I too am 5'7" and am currently 129 lbs. I am good with my weight but i don't know what is up with the tummy area. I have had 2 kids and wonder if its skin or fat. I have been exercising and trying to eat right for a year now. I know there is muscle under there, i just want to see it!
  • lunalulu2
    Options
    Your concerms are exactly the same as mine. I too am 5'7" and am currently 129 lbs. I am good with my weight but i don't know what is up with the tummy area. I have had 2 kids and wonder if its skin or fat. I have been exercising and trying to eat right for a year now. I know there is muscle under there, i just want to see it!

Yeah its very frustrating!
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Is your picture recent? You look very lean on the top, but bordering on the line between skinny-fat and fit (no offense). Judging by what you have described, you probably have excess skin and perhaps may just be genetically prone to holding on to that lower body fat. I can have ribs showing and abs popping and still be jiggly in the butt and thighs, even with heavy deadlifts, squats, etc. I try to look at it as a blessing lol

With an 80 pound loss, your skin may never completely get tight again, unfortunately. Part of that will be based on genetics, your age, and how rapidly you lost the weight. In the meantime, filling in with muscle will help tighten up the areas.

What do your workouts consist of?

BTW, it is my experience that, when pinched, skin will pull further from the body than it is thick, while fat will be thicker than how far it pulls from the body, if that makes sense.
  • lunalulu2
    Options
    Is your picture recent? You look very lean on the top, but bordering on the line between skinny-fat and fit (no offense). Judging by what you have described, you probably have excess skin and perhaps may just be genetically prone to holding on to that lower body fat. I can have ribs showing and abs popping and still be jiggly in the butt and thighs, even with heavy deadlifts, squats, etc. I try to look at it as a blessing lol

With an 80 pound loss, your skin may never completely get tight again, unfortunately. Part of that will be based on genetics, your age, and how rapidly you lost the weight. In the meantime, filling in with muscle will help tighten up the areas.

What do your workouts consist of?

BTW, it is my experience that, when pinched, skin will pull further from the body than it is thick, while fat will be thicker than how far it pulls from the body, if that makes sense.

I appreciate your opinion definitely no offense taken! There are quite a few recent pics of me on my profile, all of the ones in the bikini or sports bra are fairly recent and pretty much how I currently look. Out of curiosity, what makes you say that I am borderline skinny fat? I have been trying to determine if I am or not.

I do cardio 7 days per week consisting of kickboxing, running, cycling and hiking. 3 days per week I do 60 mins of strength training, 20 mins upper, 20 mins lower and 20 mins abs. I do mostly circuit training style videos for my strength training but they are fairly low rep and lift to muscle exhaustion.
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Well...I've had 4 kids, so I can answer the skin part. It doesn't always go back to what you think it should be. There are certain fibers in your skin, that once stretched all the way out, don't ever go back. Consider it a pregnancy battle scar. I'm about 5'5" and currently about 138 pounds. I hold my weight around the middle. But I know for sure, no matter what I do, the only way my stomach will look good again is with the help of a good plastic surgeon. :(
  • lunalulu2
    Options
    Well...I've had 4 kids, so I can answer the skin part. It doesn't always go back to what you think it should be. There are certain fibers in your skin, that once stretched all the way out, don't ever go back. Consider it a pregnancy battle scar. I'm about 5'5" and currently about 138 pounds. I hold my weight around the middle. But I know for sure, no matter what I do, the only way my stomach will look good again is with the help of a good plastic surgeon. :(

Unfortunately I do not have any children so I can't blame pregnancy. I guess I can just consider it my fat battle scar, lol.