Forgive my student loan!

Options

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty simple answer.

If you signed your name on the dotted line, regardless if you knew what you were getting into, then you are obligated to pay it back.

Its called fiscal responsibility, and if you dont have it, you dont deserve to be in college anywyas.

Its the same with the housing crisis. The homeowners who went and lived way outside of their means, got ARM loans, signed them, got the money and got the house with no way of actually being able to pay it back are just as much to blame as the predatory lending. Ignorance of what you are signing is not an excuse to be forgiven on debt. IYou think one would take more responsibility when getting into debts of 100k +. I have very little sympathy for them.

Also, people who go to college for what they "want" to do have no business complaining about not being able to get a job....Liberal Arts major? Get a degree in something relevant. As of right now I CANNOT fill software engineer positions fast enough. I have had job recs open for 18 months, but the competition is fierce trying to get top talent.

Oh and regardless of what the PC police and the government told you, not all people are created equal. There are ugly people, beautiful people, stupid people and smart people. The playing field is not fair, but life is not fair. There is always going to be someone, smarter, better looking, and that makes more money than you.

People need to stop with the "want" in this country. Bunch of self-entitled babies have been raised in the last 30 years, and I am glad I didnt go that route. Life is tough, deal with it. If your parents didnt teach you this, your screwed.

<<~~~Liberal Arts Major here. Had $26,000 debt that I paid off in 7 years with my amazing job. You're going to tell me my degree isn't relevant?

Your one of the lucky ones. That job market for that type of major is basically non-existent or relevant in most of the places I have been in this country, let alone around the world. But good for you for making it work and paying back your stupid loans! I applaud you!

I'm a free-spirit...I've lived in 4 states and 2 countries since graduating and have never had a problem finding good work in any of the markets. Most people just get so stuck in the mindset that their field of work is the *only* relevant field out there...when really, you just have to know where to look.

May I ask what you do?

Btw I am not trying to talk bad about Liberal Arts as a degreet an extent, its just that going into college you need to research the heck out of the job markets and the future of those job markets.

Generally speaking if your are a talented, driven person you can make any degree work. However the majority of the population is not.
  • baddbob
    baddbob Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'd rather see companies work with and be more flexible and creative when helping debtors repay debt, than to see debt forgiveness, per se. I've struggled and had to obtain deferments, but I'm about to pay it off entirely, and I've yet to practice law. It's very hard, and I know others aren't as lucky as I've been, but it would be unfair to the other taxpayers if I defaulted on my loans.

There are absolutely legitimate cases of folks who just cannot do it, and they need to default. Serious illness and its associated expense, for example, can totally decimate you financially. I'd love to see credit companies work harder to help people pay these loans off, even if it means a little compromise on payment plans, interest, whatever it takes.

I recommend the crap out of Dave Ramsey's approach to paying off debt.

I agree with this poster's comments. There are legitimate exceptions for serious illness and I would like to see companies work with people who have these issues. Don't forgive the debt, but help defer the debt.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    How is it fair that the ones who worked their way through school have to pay for their education and the ones that got a loan don't?

If you cannot pay back the money you BORROWED, then don't borrow it. I went to night school and did correspondence courses so I could work while I got my education. It was hard but I did it. I didn't expect anybody else to pay for my schooling.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I think it would be a wonderful investment for my taxpayer dollars. We should encourage and enable our population to seek higher education. I'd much rather pay taxes for this over wars, corporate bailouts, or corporate welfare.
  • clh126
    clh126 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem fair that I paid for my education and now you want me to help pay for yours? My kids paid for their educations with help from their employers. Why didn't you try that route? Sounds like poor planning to me.
    Honestly, college is a lot more expensive now than it was whenever I assume that you went...unless you went back to school recently.

There is absolutely no way that I could afford to fully support myself financially and go to the school that I do without my job, my loans, my scholarship, and my grants. It just wouldn't be happening.

How much do you pay because in 2001 I paid $25,000 a year to COMMUTE not even live on the campus and am still paying back my college loans. Thank god I have a 1.4% interest rate but I can't imagine you pay much more

It is true that college costs have far outpaced wage growth. When I started school in 2001, my tuition and fees were 24k. Keep in mind that that did not include rent, food, etc, and would have been similar to the commuter rate that you mention. Thankfully in my case I had a full-tuition scholarship that made this school cheaper than my state school and I only had to pay my living expenses. When I graduated in 2005 tuition and fees were over 28k per year. I just looked up the stats for the school year 2012-2013 and it is almost 45k for tuition and fees!!! Tuition has risen at ridiculous rates like this all over hence the outcry from some of the people in school now. It's more important that ever to choose what you go into very carefully since while it has always been true that the degree doesn't guarantee you a job, the debt burden is so much more today and interest rates are not as low.

Even when I went to school, for the vast majority of people it was not possible to work and make enough money to pay all of your expenses. I had teachers that said they did that back in the day....but their tuition per year was less than my monthly rent is now!
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty simple answer.

If you signed your name on the dotted line, regardless if you knew what you were getting into, then you are obligated to pay it back.

Its called fiscal responsibility, and if you dont have it, you dont deserve to be in college anywyas.

Its the same with the housing crisis. The homeowners who went and lived way outside of their means, got ARM loans, signed them, got the money and got the house with no way of actually being able to pay it back are just as much to blame as the predatory lending. Ignorance of what you are signing is not an excuse to be forgiven on debt. IYou think one would take more responsibility when getting into debts of 100k +. I have very little sympathy for them.

Also, people who go to college for what they "want" to do have no business complaining about not being able to get a job....Liberal Arts major? Get a degree in something relevant. As of right now I CANNOT fill software engineer positions fast enough. I have had job recs open for 18 months, but the competition is fierce trying to get top talent.

Oh and regardless of what the PC police and the government told you, not all people are created equal. There are ugly people, beautiful people, stupid people and smart people. The playing field is not fair, but life is not fair. There is always going to be someone, smarter, better looking, and that makes more money than you.

People need to stop with the "want" in this country. Bunch of self-entitled babies have been raised in the last 30 years, and I am glad I didnt go that route. Life is tough, deal with it. If your parents didnt teach you this, your screwed.

<<~~~Liberal Arts Major here. Had $26,000 debt that I paid off in 7 years with my amazing job. You're going to tell me my degree isn't relevant?

Your one of the lucky ones. That job market for that type of major is basically non-existent or relevant in most of the places I have been in this country, let alone around the world. But good for you for making it work and paying back your stupid loans! I applaud you!

I'm a free-spirit...I've lived in 4 states and 2 countries since graduating and have never had a problem finding good work in any of the markets. Most people just get so stuck in the mindset that their field of work is the *only* relevant field out there...when really, you just have to know where to look.

May I ask what you do?

Btw I am not trying to talk bad about Liberal Arts as a degreet an extent, its just that going into college you need to research the heck out of the job markets and the future of those job markets.

Generally speaking if your are a talented, driven person you can make any degree work. However the majority of the population is not.

Musical Theatre and Creative Writing Majors. Went back to school and got a degree in Dietetics. I travel around teaching masterclasses at universities and perform with a band while working in a hospital as a clinical nutritional counselor. About 75% of my income comes from my liberal arts degrees.
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    Prior to me getting fired...I was paying over $700 a month in student loans. I was living paycheck to paycheck and ending up in the red every week. It sucked. Now I have no job so I'm going to defer those suckers lol.

LOL you cannot wipe student debt from your record it follows you - you will show up as delinquent
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Personally I was lucky. My parents were able to pay for most of my education out of pocket, that in combination with some pretty substantial athletic and academic scholarships, in state grants (private school) and "adult" learning pricing, I won't have a substantial amount of debt when I graduate in May.

It is all about finding a school that fits your budget. So many people spend 100+ grand on a bachelor's degree in something that won't help them get into grad school or find a good job. People just need to make better decisions. Someone that gets a degree from a prestigious school won't fair much better than someone that gets a degree from a state supported school.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Also, I would highly encourage those of you with young children to start saving for their educations NOW! We have Florida Pre-Pay, which will end up saving us thousands of dollars if our son decides to go to school in state. If not, nothing lost - we just have a nest egg.

Even small contributions add up!

My parents didn't help me at all, and it sucked, but I made it. I hope to do better for my boy.
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    Prior to me getting fired...I was paying over $700 a month in student loans. I was living paycheck to paycheck and ending up in the red every week. It sucked. Now I have no job so I'm going to defer those suckers lol.

LOL you cannot wipe student debt from your record it follows you - you will show up as delinquent

When you defer your loans, it does show up on your credit as being deferred and not deliquent. Same thing goes in you are in forbearance.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought. Quit relying on the government to provide for you. I paid for college with the GI Bill.
  • maryrr88
    maryrr88 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am 100% opposed to student loan forgiveness. I graduated in December 09 with a few dollars short of $18k in student loan debt & paid it off about 13 months after the first payment came due (19 months after graduation). I also chose to go to the school that gave me the most financial aid, worked on campus at a work-study job during the fall and spring, worked the maximum hours I could at part-time jobs during winter, spring, & summer breaks, & took more than the "average" amount of credits some semesters/took two summer courses at community college so I could finish 1 semester early and save myself an extra $5k in loans. Granted, my first job was full-time & paid just under twice my state's minimum wage and I was able to live with my mom for cheap for two years, but other than that, I committed to that debt when I signed the promissory notes each year and I knew it was an obligation that needed to be repaid. Now I am happily debt-free and helping my fiance pay down his Master's degree loans so we will be fully student-loan free within a year after our marriage this November.

I'm more in favor of lowering interest rates for existing debt (I mean, 6.8% on student loans?! I could get an auto loan with a lower APR). I just can't feel sorry about the people whining because they took out $50k+ in loans for a liberal arts degree (mine is in English).
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem fair that I paid for my education and now you want me to help pay for yours? My kids paid for their educations with help from their employers. Why didn't you try that route? Sounds like poor planning to me.

Honestly- I would LOVE if someone paid for my eduation as I have debt and I would have no problems paying for others (Taxes). What I do have a problem with is that we are paying for people to have several children all on WIC and goverment money becuase they have too many kids to have a job. I am sick of seeing women smoking holding their kids with their apple phones and then complaining they the state does not give them enough money. I would give them money to go to school to get a job. I am also sick of seeing women come over from other countries preggo because we have better healthcare- but they get that for free- and then the stated finds them an apartment because they dont have one. I am not trying to judge people and I understand the economy sucks but MAKE AN EFFORT.

btw - yes I have college debt and yes I pay for it. I do not expect someone to pay it off for me. I just wish I was more educted when picking a college but I guess that was my fault too.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought. Quit relying on the government to provide for you. I paid for college with the GI Bill.

Soon we go from this to Tax everyone at 100% and let the government hand out the money as they see fit.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    These are just a handful of ideas I scribbled up since this thread started to help students pay for college. Some may exist already so feel free to correct, add, or criticize.

•Create a 401k style investment where parents can contribute 5-10% of pretax salary to a child’s college education tax free. This would start from the time the child is born until the day they turn 18 and is only tax free if the money is used towards tuition. If a parent earned 40k from the time the child was born until the day they turned 18 and contributed 5% of pretax income they would have $36,000 (not counting any interest earned) to help pay for a child’s education!

•Tax break or donation credit to any company that have a further education/training program… this may already exist.

•Modify all current student loans in excess of 10k to a 3% fixed interest rate.

•Give graduates a 5 year interest free period post graduation to get a head start on student loan debt. For actual graduates only.

•Cap professor/Administrator pay in all public colleges.

•Eliminate the requirement of half the electives required to obtain a 4 year degree… no need for students to be paying 20k + for classes that don’t apply to their chosen degree… maybe even just lower the cost of electives.
    What do you all think??
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I've been able to make it through without any loans...but law school is coming soon so I'm def in support of this lol
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Educated folks make more money. My min. wage is taking me pay check to pay check I shop at yard sales and second hand stores that a lot of high class educated folk wouldn't stoop to do so. I say come down to my level live with in your means until your loan is paid off then fly as high as you want but your tax money isn't giving me a break. .:ohwell:
  • htolen
    htolen Posts: 28
    Options
    People need to understand that this is not a free write-off, welfare-based program. In order to receive forgiveness of the debt, borrowers must first make 10 years of regular payments before they are eligible for a forgiveness of the remaining amount. This bill doesn't increase taxes of affect any of you as taxpayers. Also, there are caps on the amounts that can be forgiven. But for some of us who could not earn doctoral level degrees without acquiring hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, we need help. At current interest rates, we will NEVER, EVER pay off those debts, no matter how hard we work, or how hard we try. Both public and private universities have an almost monopoly-like power over the educational market, and so while it would have been wonderful to get 10 years of post-graduate education (to the Ph.D.) without incurring mountains of debt, it just wasn't possible. Right now, we are on the 30-year repayment plan, and the interest alone ensures that we will die long before the debt is gone. And THEN it will be forgiven anyway. Do you have a problem with letting us get a gasp or two of air before we actually die? Especially when it won't affect your individual bottom lines in any way, why begrudge us a little help? Maybe you are anti-welfare programs. Guess what: SO AM I. I strongly disapprove of programs that give money to people who do very little to contribute to society or make any efforts to help themselves. But that is not the case here. This bill requires a decade of very hard work and effort before offering some relief.

If you haven't actually READ the bill, please don't jump in with scurrilous opinions on this board--you don't know what you're saying. There are all kinds of requirements and limitations on how much can be forgiven, how soon it can be forgiven, etc. And you won't even notice as a taxpayer that this is happening. It doesn't affect your taxpayer rate AT ALL. But we who are drowning will actually have hope. Is this really a problem for you?
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    heh, Scottish here, free Uni education for all, ohhhhh yeah ;)
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    People need to understand that this is not a free write-off, welfare-based program. In order to receive forgiveness of the debt, borrowers must first make 10 years of regular payments before they are eligible for a forgiveness of the remaining amount. This bill doesn't increase taxes of affect any of you as taxpayers. Also, there are caps on the amounts that can be forgiven. But for some of us who could not earn doctoral level degrees without acquiring hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, we need help. At current interest rates, we will NEVER, EVER pay off those debts, no matter how hard we work, or how hard we try. Both public and private universities have an almost monopoly-like power over the educational market, and so while it would have been wonderful to get 10 years of post-graduate education (to the Ph.D.) without incurring mountains of debt, it just wasn't possible. Right now, we are on the 30-year repayment plan, and the interest alone ensures that we will die long before the debt is gone. And THEN it will be forgiven anyway. Do you have a problem with letting us get a gasp or two of air before we actually die? Especially when it won't affect your individual bottom lines in any way, why begrudge us a little help? Maybe you are anti-welfare programs. Guess what: SO AM I. I strongly disapprove of programs that give money to people who do very little to contribute to society or make any efforts to help themselves. But that is not the case here. This bill requires a decade of very hard work and effort before offering some relief.

If you haven't actually READ the bill, please don't jump in with scurrilous opinions on this board--you don't know what you're saying. There are all kinds of requirements and limitations on how much can be forgiven, how soon it can be forgiven, etc. And you won't even notice as a taxpayer that this is happening. It doesn't affect your taxpayer rate AT ALL. But we who are drowning will actually have hope. Is this really a problem for you?