Anyone 40-60 yrs. old looking for motivation

Options
Hi, I'm 50 (or at least will be next week) and have 20 lbs to lose. At one time it was easy for me to shed a few pounds once I noticed my weight had crept up but now this is definitely not so. Could this be related to age? Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

Replies

• Curlytop539
    Options
    I am new and I just realized on April 19 th that I am 78 pounds over my ideal weight and am determined to adjust my lifestyle. I am 48. I lost 53 lbs five years ago and kept it off for two years but finished a degree program and got laced off and you knownwhatnhappens then........ I am debating trying to repeat just changing my eating habits or trying mediastinal to get the majority of weight off. I have never focused on this type of weight loss before and fell overwhelmed.
  • mugofire
    mugofire Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just turned 40 and I need to lose about 30# before July for my wedding so I can look even better in my Scottish kilt. I don't feel 40 though! lets all do this together!
  • Oblivia17
    Oblivia17 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    42 here.
    I had my first kid when I was 20. I gained 75 pounds during that pregnancy and took it off within 6 mos.
    I kept it off for ten years and even lost a little extra.
    I got pregnant again at 30 ... gained 75 pounds AGAIN.

This time it's not coming off so easy. Considering that now he's 12 and I've only lost about 15 pounds of that weight!
    Age is definitely making this more difficult. What concerns me even more - how hard is it going to be to keep it off once it's finally gone?!
  • shmo1969
    shmo1969 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and would like to lose 40lbs, have lost 19 so far and have come to a stop. It has been a slow process for me and realize it is not as easy as it was in my 20's or even 30's to shed some pounds. I also have a hypothyroid and even though I am on Synthroid for it I find I need to do a lot of cardio (but also do strength training 3 times a week). Good luck in your journey and feel free to add me if you like. I can use all the support I can and love to help others through their journey too. :)
  • drmattski
    drmattski Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Oh YES! I am 45 and it so much harder to drop weight now. Could use all the support I can get. Feel free to add me.

I promise to be a positive motivational force for you ! :happy:

cheers,

Matt
  • dooley42
    dooley42 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hello All - I am 41 - I am doing Weight Watchers and MFP- I want to loose 40lbs-
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I was 145 until about 8 years ago ,I turn 50 this year ,I used to be able to eat anything I wanted with out weight gain ,I put on over 100 pounds 8 years ago and havent been able to get rid of it til i found this sit ,I was 240 when I started here and now weigh 168,I wish I could eat whatever I wanted like before but think age has something to do with this,,add me as a friend if you like for motivation...
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Hi am 40 and need to loose 50lbs. Its hard to find the time to exercise with 3 kids, a job, and working on my master's degree, but I'm determined to succeed!
  • michelle850
    michelle850 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi there! 41 here, and finding it much harder to drop the pounds than when I was younger! So frustrating, but they're coming off, just very slowly! Slow and steady wins the race though, right? :) Feel free to add me!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I am 40. I am having a bad day, so I decided to turn it around by being positive and helpful to someone else. I joined MFP last July andhave since lost over 80 pounds. Friend me if you like.
  • emmabrackpool
    emmabrackpool Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    41 years of age and need to shed at least a pound for every one of those years too lol!
    motivation is a huge problem for me too - weight loss is slow plus for about 4-5 days every month I turn into an eating machine and undo all the hard work :(
  • montananurse
    Options
    Hi ya'll. I will be 49 in a few months! I can't believe what the books say my ideal weight should be. As short as I am I dont believe I will ever be back to 130 pounds. I have 80 pounds to get to my 150 goal. I can always use motivation
  • StatHaldol
    StatHaldol Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Looks like I'm the old man here at 56! Trying to get back into shape!
  • Jupitermermaid
    Jupitermermaid Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I remember back in the day when I could drop 10 pounds in a week! Now I'm lucky to drop it in several months even with lots of cardio and good eating. Age definitely makes a difference (I'm 60), especially with hypothyroidism. It's harder and slower, but worth it! It's a lifestyle change that will help us keep the weight off this time!
  • alisonmrose
    Options
    I'll be turning 40 in about a months time and i'm trying to lose as much as i can before then, have already lost 33 lbs as of today since I started my weight loss journey last November..
  • justlin1
    justlin1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I'm 49 and menopausal and suddenly noticed fat appearing in places they hadn't before. I decided to nip it in the bud now, I want to be fit at 50, not fat! I was following a low fat diet for 10 days and didn't lose a pound, and I felt like giving up and resigning myself to the fact that I was 'at that age' BUT my partner, bless his heart, who HAD lost weight, motivated me to try calorie counting instead, which I have been doing for the past 3 weeks (as well as almost killing myself at the gym) and I have lost 6 pounds! This diet suits me fine, because even if I have a bad day and give in to temptation ( normally french bread, or fish & chips) I just balance out my other meals or think 'sod it' and start again the next day!
  • gennyturner
    gennyturner Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Turned 51 this year and since turning 50 I've lost almost 45 pounds. I feel the best I've ever felt and I LOVE tracking my food on MFPal as well as my exercise. This is the place that keeps me going and motivated to go to the gym when I'm tired. I'm a little by little weight loss person and have reset my weight loss goals 4 times. Good luck to all of us on MFPal.
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    Hiya,
    I just turned 52. I'd be happy to be your pal and provide mutual support. This journey is a challenge but MFP really does work! Send a friend request if you want!:flowerforyou:
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and YES age does make it harder to lose but not impossiable.
    MFP has helped me I joined Jan. 23 and am down 19 lb. I have 91 lb to go to be where I think I will be happy but not even close to where charts say I should Buuuuut I am the boss here I will stop where I want :tongue:
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and I've always been slightly underweight. Last year I gained an extra 10 pounds. I didn't think much of it, because if I ever noticed myself gaining a bit, it was super easy to take back off. Not this time!

I'm about to my goal weight now, but I'm shocked at how hard it was. I used to eat entire bags of candy in one day - every day. And never gained an ounce. Wish those days were back again!