Natural ways to cleanse colon and remove water weight

Options

Replies

• ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I recommend the book "The Raw Food Detox"- great info., all natural, and filled with recipes and meal plans for a gently, whole foods detox.
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell Bean Burrito....but that's just not natural in any way.
  • scatgash
    scatgash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Detox is something you do if you are a drug addict or alcoholic. Your colon doesn't need "cleansing" unless you are preparing for a colonoscopy. All that "cleanse and detox" stuff is a scam or pure ignorance. Your liver and kidneys remove toxins in body. There is nothing you can do to your colon to make it serve as a liver or kidney. If you want a "clean" healthy colon just eat plenty of fiber.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    Dandelion root. I dig my own, but you can buy it in health food stores. I make a tea and drink it several times every spring. Natural detoxifier.
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    It's called "poopin'," and humans are quite adept at it. Also the aforementioned liver and kidneys. It's their job. This cleanse stuff is BS. My boyfriend's Dad is a colorectal surgeon and one of the fastest ways to get him worked up is to ask him his professional opinion on cleanses.

I find this funny, as a colorectal surgeon, he would be prescribing cleanses everyday! If anyone has had surgery, colonoscopy, or any type of scan in this wonderful area you know what I mean!

Skip the cleanses they are a waste of time and money. You can get the same results from exlax and a glass of water.
  • carly_pear
    carly_pear Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell Bean Burrito....but that's just not natural in any way.

Love this one!! Will for sure get things moving......:laugh:
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Your colon is not supposed to be clean.
  • behappydance
    Options
    Your colon is not supposed to be clean.
    Yeah that!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the suggestions here: Up the fruits and veg and whole grains (real whole grains, not like the white pasta that uses processing loopholes to claim it is whole grain) - you need both soluble and insoluble fiber- drink more water. Add ground flax to your diet, its a great way to get healthy fats and fiber- aim for ~16 grams/day (one to two tablespoons).

Also, add a good amount of yogurt (or other live culture product) to your diet- no matter how you choose to do the cleanse. Inevitably when you force your digestive system to "cleanse" produce more frequent BMs, you're going to eradicate the good bacteria with the bad. You need to replace those good bacteria as soon as possible or it could take weeks for your digestive system to be back to working order after your cleanse.

I used to work at GNC and their cleanses are pretty much laxatives and fiber, in different concentrations dependent on how many days you want to spend handcuffed to your toilet. I think they're a bad ide, and a very expensive way to get laxatives and fiber.

Also, GNC sells the other kind of "cleanse" frequented by people with upcoming drug tests. From what I understand that kind can make you really sick, so don't get them mixed up! Plus that kind is like $50 for a single drink bottle. :laugh:
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    what is the recipe for spinach shake

I know you were not asking me but mine is just some frozen fruit, half a banana, couple handfuls of spinach and water.

I do 1/2c yogurt, 1/2c frozen fruit, 1 banana, 1/2 c milk, and 1c of fresh raw spinach. Blend and yummmmmy...and you can't even taste the spinach
  • wolftrax
    wolftrax Posts: 50
    Options
    I agree with most of the suggestions here: Up the fruits and veg and whole grains (real whole grains, not like the white pasta that uses processing loopholes to claim it is whole grain) - you need both soluble and insoluble fiber- drink more water. Add ground flax to your diet, its a great way to get healthy fats and fiber- aim for ~16 grams/day (one to two tablespoons).

Also, add a good amount of yogurt (or other live culture product) to your diet- no matter how you choose to do the cleanse. Inevitably when you force your digestive system to "cleanse" produce more frequent BMs, you're going to eradicate the good bacteria with the bad. You need to replace those good bacteria as soon as possible or it could take weeks for your digestive system to be back to working order after your cleanse.

I used to work at GNC and their cleanses are pretty much laxatives and fiber, in different concentrations dependent on how many days you want to spend handcuffed to your toilet. I think they're a bad ide, and a very expensive way to get laxatives and fiber.

Also, GNC sells the other kind of "cleanse" frequented by people with upcoming drug tests. From what I understand that kind can make you really sick, so don't get them mixed up! Plus that kind is like $50 for a single drink bottle. :laugh:

Good post...I would add this...fresh ground red flax is better than commercial...I grind it in a coffee grinder and keep refrigerated until used..You need a total of 30 grms of fiber/day and MFP tracks it on your printable summary..Every day, not sometimes..
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It's called "poopin'," and humans are quite adept at it. Also the aforementioned liver and kidneys. It's their job. This cleanse stuff is BS. My boyfriend's Dad is a colorectal surgeon and one of the fastest ways to get him worked up is to ask him his professional opinion on cleanses.

:laugh:

im-poopin.jpg
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    At your age, your colon shouldn't need "cleansing". Eat a balanced diet. Sometimes if you start doing things to your body, your body becomes dependent on it, where there should be no need. For instance: It's like in the old days when the MEN doctors seemed to think douching every day was a necessity to keep a woman "clean". Your body already has methods of keeping its internal self clean, all the doctors did was cause undue infections by messing up the internal balance already in place, then they had you use some "medication" to make it better, which made it worse. Leave your body alone. If you develop a problem, *then* go to a doctor. If you are diagnosed with a medical problem *then* you should do what's appropriate to get back to normal.

Well put ... i totally agree. our bodies are amazing and take care of their own ... it is what we do to them that is when things can go wrong.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and eat lots of fruits, veggies and high fiber whole grains.

Everything else is a scam.
  • kelseyk14
    kelseyk14 Posts: 95
    Options
    I used an all natural supplement for my colon cleanse called "Super II". I worked amazing and the bottle has enough for 2 cleanses. A potassium supplement will help with water retention. Good luck!
  • CaroSeraMince
    Options

I find this funny, as a colorectal surgeon, he would be prescribing cleanses everyday! If anyone has had surgery, colonoscopy, or any type of scan in this wonderful area you know what I mean!

Skip the cleanses they are a waste of time and money. You can get the same results from exlax and a glass of water.

That's just prescribing and encouraging accelerated poopin'. Which is not the same thing "drink this juice you spent silly amounts of money on and have magical fairies clean out your nasty bits!"
  • CaroSeraMince
    Options

:laugh:

im-poopin.jpg

How'd you know I'm a crazy cat lady? :D
  • josol1971
    josol1971 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    what is the recipe for spinach shake

Spinach shake recipe:

1 scoop vanilla whey protein (I use Jillian Michaels - not so much added junk)
    Big handful of spinach
    1/2 of a banana
    2 TBSP Natural peanut butter
    3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    3 handfuls of ice (more or less to your preference)

So good! Sometimes I have it for supper since it is high calorie but a great choice for post-workout.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

How'd you know I'm a crazy cat lady? :D

Takes one to know one! :bigsmile: