What to do after overeating?

Options
2»

Replies

• quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    *snip*
    this is why I go by a weekly calorie goal instead of a daily.

This. Pounds are lost by the week, not by the day, so why "diet" like they are?

Hm - not sure about this. My opinion is: if you screw up once, why screw up twice?

If your optimal nutrition is 1500 calories per day, for example, and on Monday you eat 2000 calories, then on Tuesday you eat 1000 calories, then you missed your mark twice. I'm not saying there isn't some advantage to zigzagging your calories. I'm saying: your goal is to hit 1500 per day. Don't chase bad money with good money. Don't punish yourself with a second bad day.

You're using an exteme example. First, I wouldn't eat only 1000 calories. Second, I meant its about balance. You even yourself out over the week, not in a single day. If you eat 2000 one day, either eat 1450 over the next few days or put in an extra work out for the week.

You could be right - I am a complete noob when it comes to this stuff. All I am saying is this: If you have calculated 1500 calories to be your healthy, sustainable calorie deficit, that should be your goal. if 1400 or 1450 was your healthy, sustainable calorie deficit, then that should have been your original goal. If you go over your ideal one day, it doesn't mean that your ideal changes.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    *snip*
    this is why I go by a weekly calorie goal instead of a daily.

This. Pounds are lost by the week, not by the day, so why "diet" like they are?

Hm - not sure about this. My opinion is: if you screw up once, why screw up twice?

If your optimal nutrition is 1500 calories per day, for example, and on Monday you eat 2000 calories, then on Tuesday you eat 1000 calories, then you missed your mark twice. I'm not saying there isn't some advantage to zigzagging your calories. I'm saying: your goal is to hit 1500 per day. Don't chase bad money with good money. Don't punish yourself with a second bad day.

You're using an exteme example. First, I wouldn't eat only 1000 calories. Second, I meant its about balance. You even yourself out over the week, not in a single day. If you eat 2000 one day, either eat 1450 over the next few days or put in an extra work out for the week.

You could be right - I am a complete noob when it comes to this stuff. All I am saying is this: If you have calculated 1500 calories to be your healthy, sustainable calorie deficit, that should be your goal. if 1400 or 1450 was your healthy, sustainable calorie deficit, then that should have been your original goal. If you go over your ideal one day, it doesn't mean that your ideal changes.

No, the ideal doesn't change but we are also not dealing with absolutes, unless you're a body bulider or a lower percentage of body fat. I've never eaten exactly my daily deficite ever and I'm losing weight at a healthy, sustainable rate. Like I said, its about balance. If the calulation said 1500 for a deficite of 500 and ate 1600 a day, I would still lose weight at a healthy, sustainable rate.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Like I said, its about balance. If the calulation said 1500 for a deficite of 500 and ate 1600 a day, I would still lose weight at a healthy, sustainable rate.

Yeah, this was my point :). That, and there is no purpose to compensating for a one day error. See? We weren't arguing after all!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Like I said, its about balance. If the calulation said 1500 for a deficite of 500 and ate 1600 a day, I would still lose weight at a healthy, sustainable rate.

Yeah, this was my point :). That, and there is no purpose to compensating for a one day error. See? We weren't arguing after all!

Lol hats to you! :)
  • moodymarble
    moodymarble Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    What happened yesterday is in the past. Leave it there. This shouldn't be a diet, it's a lifestyle change. You should leave your calorie goal where it is (at 1700). Taking it down to 1400 really is quite unsustainable unless you plan on starving yourself for the rest of your life. Just move on from this n consider it a spike day. If you've lost 25 lbs at 1700 cals/day it's obviously working and 1 day won't mess that up. You don't lose from a deficit in one day. It happens with daily deficits over time. You CAN do this!! Have faith in yourself!
  • holmevik
    holmevik Posts: 33
    Options
    Forget about it and move on. It's not the end of the world.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry much about it, because your set to a 500cal def a day. So you broke even, I wouldn't eat less the next to days to 5-10 more min of exercise a day and you will more then make up for it.

this^.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I go about my day normally. I'm not in any hurry to "get somewhere" I consider days where I was over opportunities to stop and smell the roses lol