Really? Do I need them?

Replies

• ylward
    ylward Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 2012slimjim
    Options
    It is advisable because of the fact that you twist and mice a lot. Running shoes are not flexible enough and tend to be sticky you risk calf and Achilles strain. If you have to wear trainers make them light cross trainers. I bought some well cushioned split sole dance shoes which were really reasonable rather than the more expensive Zumba shoes. Could recommend getting those whilst you establish whether you like it or not before splashing out. Good luck and enjoy! I have a 4 hour Zumba marathon fundraiser tomorrow, not sure how many minutes I'll get through, lol x
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I wear my regular sneakers as does the instructor and most of the attendees. However, one woman dances barefoot.
  • bugnsamsmom
    bugnsamsmom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I wear light-weight cross trainers as do all of my instructors. I don't recall every seeing anyone in class with dance shoes...
  • KySny82
    KySny82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    No, you definitely don't need them. I've been doing Zumba about 2-3 times a week since October & I just completed my first Zumbathon today. I have been wearing New Balance running shoes, so I have to respectfully disagree with the previous post about running shoes not being flexible enough. As long as the floor isn't carpeted & you stay on your toes during turns and triple steps, running shoes are completely fine. Just make sure you have a shoe that supports your ankles. My friend bought a pair of Nike Musique and she seems to like them. I've also seen articles recommending Puma Pumagility, but I haven't found them in any stores to actually try them on.

If you're looking at any other Zumba merchandise too, I'd recommend taking classes at a gym or community center & the instructor will usually give out free goodies or discounted clothing. I just won a Zumba water bottle, beach towel, & hat at the Zumbathon today & I can't wait to use them! :) Before that my instructor gave all of us Zumba wristbands & sold us shirts for $10; don't waste your money buying the expensive merchanise from the website if you don't have to.

Have fun with Zumba; I absolutely LOVE it! :)
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I actually nocited the instructors shoes today, on the dvd, and i think i will go buy a slick sole shoe like them. i do not move around so easy in my runners doing some of the moves.
  • tmiller340
    Options
    Definitely avoid running shoes. I bought Bloch dance sneakers which are great and have better shock absorption than Zumba brand.
  • KBecks
    KBecks Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I teach Zumba and use a few different brands of athletic shoes. I look for ones that have less tread and a flatter bottom. None of my shoes have a pivot point right now, and I do not do a lot of twisting moves in class, so no worries. You want good support and not a lot of tread.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have the Capezio dance shoes and love them. They are not real stylish, but they are wonderful for doing zumba. I've worn mine two to three times weekly for the past eight months and they still feel good. I was over 200 lbs when I started zumba and I was worried about my knees and ankles, but have not had any problems. Well worth the money for me.