Questions for cyclist?

Options
I just started getting into riding my bike outside on a nice long trail. I've noticed a lot of bikers wearing headphones. I wouldn't mind having music when I work out, but I always thought that was dangerous. What are your thoughts on that? Would it be okay ifnthe volume was down?

Also, anyone with a child that rides in the back of a trailer? I can only ride my bike once and twice a week without my daughter so I was wondering how you keep your child entertained? The only reason mine will get into the trailer is a promise to go to the playground. It's only 3 miles in. So we went there she played and I bribed her with pretzels to get back on after 45 minutes of playing. I decided to just had back and once in awhile I hear her say "I want out, I want to walk" she will be 3 in June. I've tried letting her play on my iPad which has childrens games on it and she knows how to get to her movies. I just feel so guilty keeping her in it for that long.

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I just started getting into riding my bike outside on a nice long trail. I've noticed a lot of bikers wearing headphones. I wouldn't mind having music when I work out, but I always thought that was dangerous. What are your thoughts on that? Would it be okay ifnthe volume was down?

I use earphones when I'm cycling, but I only put one in. It HAS to be the one facing the pavement rather than the road, so I can hear the cars better as they come up behind me and overtake, and I only cycle in very quiet areas with no junctions. If I were likely to see more than 15 cars on my journey, the 'phones would be out.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Personally I think riding a bike with headphones on is insane, even on recreational paths. It's not so bad if one is left out so you can hear what's going on around you but I've seen way too many people with both in and completely oblivious to their surroundings.

Sorry, can't help on the trailer part.....
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Personally I think riding a bike with headphones on is insane, even on recreational paths. It's not so bad if one is left out so you can hear what's going on around you but I've seen way too many people with both in and completely oblivious to their surroundings.

I couldn't agree more.
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I am easily startled, so using headphones for me is crazy!! Anything going by me with me hearing wold "flinch" me off my bike!!!
    :)
  • maxdwolf
    maxdwolf Posts: 18
    Options
    Yeah, you can get away with head phones, but it is a risk and distraction even on a bike path. Even with one ear out you're less able to hear faster bikes approachiing.

No help with the trailer, but I doubt she's going to need therapy when she's older just for having to spend a few minutes a day sitting by herself.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I should add that I would never use earphones whilst towing a trailer with a child in, if you were considering combining the two. Far too risky. Cycling whilst listening to music IS a risk in itself - don't put your girl in danger.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I am easily startled, so using headphones for me is crazy!! Anything going by me with me hearing wold "flinch" me off my bike!!!
    :)

LOL that made me think of a recent run where I passed a lady on the sidewalk who was busy talking on her cell phone, I startled her so badly that I thought she was going to have a heart attack!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I usually do. Must be the shape of my ears, cause I can hear everything else better with ear buds. Without ear buds, all I can hear is wind noise.
  • atla_moves
    Options
    I think it is incredibly dangerous and here, at least, it is illegal.
  • FullMelt
    FullMelt Posts: 8
    Options
    +1 NO headphones.

I wore them for a short while when I commuted on a mountain bike, but I lived in an extremely bike-friendly area in the middle of nowhere northern CA. I also stopped using them within weeks, as it just felt dangerous.

I started riding a single speed road bike for fitness within the last few months in NJ, and have not even put them in once - being on the road I feel that the higher my level of awareness of my surroundings, the better. It is bad enough dealing with other people who are oblivious, taking up the entire "safe space" and not being able to hear "on your left" when being approached... I can't see myself ever riding with them again.

As a side note, I find that music takes away from the "zen" of a ride. The reason I ride is for a workout, the reason I feel so darn good afterwards is because it feels like a meditation - clear the mind, feel the breeze, move the body, push harder than last time, BE the ride and it will take you farther than you fathomed you could ride just for a workout.
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I guess everyone is different. I get the 'zen ride' aspect of a quiet ride, but music keeps me energized, and I ride a few miles extra / a little faster when listening to good music.

I use headphones, but only on about 3 out of 10 volume wise. It's quiet enough that I can still hear road noise, wind, etc., cars are easy to hear. The occassional fast bike will still sneak up on me, but holding your position on the path isn't difficult and has never been an issue.

Part of the reason I wear them is for the audible prompts from my phone for speed, pace, duration etc... The hard-core cyclists might mock me for that, but hey it keeps me going... I'm using MapMyRide for that function and it works pretty well..

+1 on the don't combine headphones and a trailer/kid.. If I spill, its a few stiches or something at worst... different storry with a 3 yr old in tow.
  • 2monthstogo
    Options
    I got pulled over by a police officer a few years ago for wearing earphones while riding my bike. Legally you may wear one in your ear but not both! I can't remember how much the ticket would have been as he gave me a warning. I only wear one in my ear on the road and on the trails I wear both.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Why not use small ipod type speakers clipped to your bike?
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I agree - riding with headphones is insane!!!! even with a low volume. I am fortunate to live in a state where it is illegal to ride with headphones (yet people still do it). If you need music - having an external speaker would certainly be a reasonable alternative.

Whether it is leisure riding, commuting, or at a more serious level riding - I am very much against the use of head phones.
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My 5 year old always falls asleep in the trailer. Then she complains she hot and sweaty (she didn't do anything).

Do you "talk" to her while riding? I do with mine and it helps a bit. Yes it's hard but we have fun doing it.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    LOL that made me think of a recent run where I passed a lady on the sidewalk who was busy talking on her cell phone, I startled her so badly that I thought she was going to have a heart attack!

I do that a lot...and I always figure it serves them right. Being that unaware of one's surroundings is asking for trouble. Had you been an attacker she's have had no time to defend herself. I've had people so oblivious to their surroundings that my repeated alerts (and I'm loud--cheerleading and theatre background...most people tell me to tone it down, heh) that I'm behind them (on foot or on my bike) have gone totally unheeded. Then they have the nerve to act p!ssed when I startle them. :huh:
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I always use headphone on my commute and I have never had a problem with it, when I go out with a group I don't as its well rude.

What type of trailer do you have?? as you can get ones that are a bike and she could ride with you aswell or there is a clip on bar that attaches to your seat post and the handlebars on the smaller bike, there is a size requirement though not sure what it is.
  • Jessika616
    Options
    I would never wear my head phones when my daughter is with me. I am too paranoid and need to hear her at all times. I do try and talk to her and point things out. We saw a woodpecker the last time we went. I was pretty excited and actually stopped off trail to look at it. I always hear them, but I have never seen one before. She would have liked seeing the two germain shepards playing in the river as well, but she wasn't with me for that one.

I have the basic 2 seat trailer. Sort of like the bright yellow ones that seem to be popular, but mines blue. I am planning on getting her the bike one, but I don't think she is ready yet. She has her own bike but just doesn't want to pedal. She trys to and then gives up and tells me to push her. lol

I am going for another ride without my daughter after work. And I'll just leave the head phones for the gym. My fiance decided we wanted to try the trail with me today as well.
  • Jessika616
    Options
    Oh and thanks for mentioning that type of trailer. It'll give me something to do at work now. Look up prices!
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options

+1. The potential for serious injury on a bike is too great. Music isn't that important. Besides it's nice to hear the birds, the wind, etc on a ride.