What are healthy choices at a Mex. restaurant?

Options

Replies

• rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Some restaurants offer black beans as a vegetarian alternative to refried beans. Refried beans often have a lot of lard and pork.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Rice tends to have a lot of carbs and can add up quickly if eating out.

Why doea this mean the op shouldnt eat rice today?
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I go for the chicken fajitas because I like them. People people people ..it's about the calories. fat does not make you fat. carbs do not make you fat..eating more calories than you use makes you fat..eat what you want and log it..just try not to go over. I log it from my phone while deciding, to see the best choices.. the MFP food database is massive !!
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I love getting carne asada tacos!
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I either just eat half of what the plate of what sounds good, or get a taco salad, with dressing on the side. I only put about half the dressing on the salad, and just take a few bites of the tortilla bowl.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I order fish (soft) tacos at our favorite mexican restaurant. It comes with three of them, grilled tilapia, lettuce, avocado, pico de gallo and a creamy chipotle sauce. I usually dump the fish from one taco into the other two, to cut down to two tortillas. If I have calories to spare, I get the creamy chipotle sauce on the side and use some, if I don't have calories to spare, I use hot sauce instead.
    YUMMY

Chile Colorado isn't too bad either. I usually split it with my husband and order the "salad" (lettuce, tomato, avocado) instead of rice.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't know about healthy, but I can't go to a Mexican restaurant without ordering guac.

I had some today, actually...with the chick in my pic. I didn't share with her, though. :blushing:
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys are fast. By the time my comment went in, 10 more responses. Why stay away from the rice?

it's fried!!

Fried rice at a Mexican restaurant? Is this real life?
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If she is looking to save calories, she shouldn't eat it, or eat only a little of it. She was asking for low calorie options. I thought that was the information she was looking for. She can eat whatever she wants, she knows how many calories she has left for the day and how she wants to use them.
  • Mathteacher35
    Mathteacher35 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had Mexican for lunch today! I had a cheese quesadilla and some guacamole salad! I also had a few chips with salsa. After the guilt set in, I ran 6 miles!
  • PattiJMB
    PattiJMB Posts: 2
    Options
    The brown rice at Chipotle's is great especially if you stick with the burrito bowl and add stuff like black beans and lettuce. I get the guacomole and the mild salsa because it is lower sodium and steer clear of the cheese and the sour creme. The will add fajita veggies also which is very nice.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Why is it that if the woman doesn't want to cook people go out, is my father the only man who makes dinner for himself?

Avoid fried things and might I suggest tacos. Tacos are delicious.
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos on corn tortillas. Fajitas with a salad on the side. Sub refried beans with black beans. Taco salad without the shell. Wow. Now I'm craving Mexican!
  • jessicataylor2
    Options
    I'd do something with chicken. Grilled if you can. Like maybe a chicken taco, fajita, or quesadilla (my favorite). Just make sure it's not overloaded with cheeses and not fried.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Fajitas! I ask for a spinach quesadilla with no cheese sometime. Delish!
  • 4stephklug
    4stephklug Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thx for the sugg's everybody, I'm getting fish tacos and I will do the combo trick so only 1 tortilla. So smart!

Btw, my hubs does cook dinner for himself and everyone, he asked me out to dinner <3
    I knew I should prepare something low-cal at home, but it IS the weekend :)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    the only unhealthy food is a food eaten in excess.
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    steak tacos. they usually come with two tortillas,just take the extra one off. eat the beans ! :love:

oh and say no to the chips! drink lots of water. good luck killer
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ Water ~

LOL !!! Sorry, odd humor ! Ok ... When going out to eat at Mexican establishments or any other kind for that matter ... just keep these things in mind ...

1. Bread or Chips are extra calories ... but in moderation can fit into your day.
    2. Try to stay away from " sauces ... Cream based "
    3. Think " Grilled "
    4. Load up on the Veggies !
    5. A little splurge is ok and actually can benefit your metabolism.

6., 7., 8., 9. and 10. .... DON'T get on the scale for a few days !!!!!!

Bottom line ... Just enjoy your time with your loved ones ... Life is meant to be enjoyed !

Just eat in moderation, know when your full and have a blast !

Cheers ! :drinker:
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    The rice a lot of time has lard or oil in it, so the calories are higher. Plus a plain cup of rice is 200 calories, so with all of the extras they put in it you are looking at 300-500 calories.

My boyfriend cooks for a Mexican restaurant, and I created a recipe on here for the rice he makes at work, because it's that same thing we make at home, and it's only 258 calories a serving, and, well, the servings aren't all that small.

Honestly, the calories aren't going to get you as badly as the sodium, regardless of what you choose (except maybe the cheese dip). If you avoid the cheese, you will be fine with any of the choices. And flour tortillas are higher in calories than corn, so keep that in mind when considering your choices.