Extremely picky eater; HELP

Options
Anyone know some "good: diet foods that are very basic. I'm very picky I don't like alot of things but it gets boring eating the same thin all the time

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Well, it's kind of hard to say without knowing what you like...
  • jfaure23
    jfaure23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using allrecipes.com? That site allows you to enter ingredients you like and it pulls recipes that have those ingredients. It may be a good starting point.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Have you tried new things lately? When I was younger I was pretty picky but like a lot of things now, especially veggies. Actually, I would say that at least 90% of the things I eat now I didn't eat 10-15 years ago.

What are some things that you do like?
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    All food are diet foods. Make meals out of the things you like.
  • ashley67203
    Options
    I eat things I don't like all the time because they're good for me. I've never understood picky eaters.
  • kindra3434
    kindra3434 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Im a picky eater too....I just live with a repetitive diet. I figure that's what I get for being so picky. But its not all that bad because I enjoy the foods I eat AND they are healthy. Good luck
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm a very picky eater too. I eat the same things - day in and day out. I have added a few new things to my "diet", but overall the things I eat are things I've eaten for years and years. You can try different recipe sites and see if you can stumble onto new recipes you'd like to try (my problem usually is... it may sound good to me, but after I read the ingredients? I'll find it has half a dozen things in it that I don't like!).
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    I eat things I don't like all the time because they're good for me. I've never understood picky eaters.

I've never understood what the point is to eating something I hate. That would be like buying clothes you hate because they are cheap or buying a car you hate because it gets better gas mileage.

I don't know about you, but I won't buy clothes I hate nor would I buy a car based strictly on the gas mileage. Why on earth eat stuff you don't like? Because they're good for me? Seems absolutely ridiculous to me.
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    What if someone "doesn't like" vegetables? Does that mean they should forgo all the nutrients in them and never eat vegetables because they can't stand a few minutes of discomfort for the good of their body?
  • InformalToaster
    Options
    I've been an extremely picky eater my entire life, so as an adult I have made a point of trying just one bite of a new food every chance I get. I buy vegetables for my husband, and every time he eats them I make myself try a bite. It takes time to let new foods grow on you. Some things I still can't stand, but repeated exposure has helped tremendously.
  • angelashay42
    Options

I've never understood what the point is to eating something I hate. That would be like buying clothes you hate because they are cheap or buying a car you hate because it gets better gas mileage.

I don't know about you, but I won't buy clothes I hate nor would I buy a car based strictly on the gas mileage. Why on earth eat stuff you don't like? Because they're good for me? Seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

You shouldn't eat anything you hate, but in some situations it is important to eat something you don't like. What if you don't like any vegetables at all and only like candy? Does that mean it's ok for you to only eat candy? I also don't like getting up at 5am and going to work, does that mean I should quit my job and be homeless? Sometimes eating things you don't like is necessary for your health, especially if there aren't any alternatives to give you the nutrients you need.
    I am a vegetarian. I need protein. So sometimes I have to eat protien powder or legumes or tofu, all of which I don't hate but don't necessarily love, in order to get sufficient protein.
  • ByrdMessy
    ByrdMessy Posts: 94
    Options
    I hated tomatoes. Eating a tomato would almost make me sick. (I was OK with tomato soup, ketchup and pasta sauce.) They're very good for you though, so I took four years to train myself to like tomatoes. I started with warm tomatoes hidden on sandwiches and worked my way up to cherry tomatoes. I still won't eat a plain tomato, but add salt and pepper, basil and mozzarella or make it into bruchetta and it's all good. After that, it was like some sort of switch--I became much more willing to experiment. It's possible to change your tastes. It just might take a lot of time and patience.
  • Ireshgurl
    Ireshgurl Posts: 559
    Options
    What if someone "doesn't like" vegetables? Does that mean they should forgo all the nutrients in them and never eat vegetables because they can't stand a few minutes of discomfort for the good of their body?

I do. I pretty much can't ever remember eating any vegetables growing up. My parents said they tried every trick in the book to get me to eat them, but nothing worked. I'm in my 30's and have survived relatively well without them. Vitamins are a beautiful thing...... oh, and I also don't eat Beef or any type of Seafood. Never have, never will.

And the technical term for a "Picky" Eater is a Disordered Eater. It's actually pretty common.

And to the OP, def try AllRecipes.com. I love that site.
  • angelashay42
    Options

I do. I pretty much can't ever remember eating any vegetables growing up. My parents said they tried every trick in the book to get me to eat them, but nothing worked. I'm in my 30's and have survived relatively well without them. Vitamins are a beautiful thing...... oh, and I also don't eat Beef or any type of Seafood. Never have, never will.

And the technical term for a "Picky" Eater is a Disordered Eater. It's actually pretty common.

I saw a show about a girl that only ate french fries. She died.
  • chevy88grl
    Options

You shouldn't eat anything you hate, but in some situations it is important to eat something you don't like. What if you don't like any vegetables at all and only like candy? Does that mean it's ok for you to only eat candy? I also don't like getting up at 5am and going to work, does that mean I should quit my job and be homeless? Sometimes eating things you don't like is necessary for your health, especially if there aren't any alternatives to give you the nutrients you need.
    I am a vegetarian. I need protein. So sometimes I have to eat protien powder or legumes or tofu, all of which I don't hate but don't necessarily love, in order to get sufficient protein.

I'm not eating stuff I don't like. End of story. There's just no possible way. If you don't like something and don't want to eat it, don't. A lot of people don't like different foods and don't eat them. I can not stand broccoli and quite honestly, any nutritional value it has is lost on me because I don't like the taste, the texture or anything else about it. Do I care if it offers up this vitamin or that vitamin? Nope. I honestly couldn't care less. I'll find something else that that I DO like that perhaps offers me the same benefits.

As for your job, if you don't want to get up at 5am for work - find a new job. Same idea as not eating something you don't like. Find something else. There are a lot of fruits and veggies (or whatever) out there - find something you DO like and eat that instead.

I've been picky my entire life and I'm quite healthy without forcing myself to consume things that disgust me.
  • kellyo15
    kellyo15 Posts: 51
    Options
    Hey! I'm really picky and I try my best to stay healthy but I know it can be hard, eating (*eating WELL) is a challenge for me! I really like fruit (except any kind of melon) and kinda minimal veggies (I don't like most things put into salads like tomato, peppers, onions, etc). To balance for this, I like to make smoothies. I'll use frozen fruits and I'll throw in a handful of spinach, or something else that I don't love to eat on its own. Mixed in with all the other delicious things I put in my smoothie, you can't taste it or have any sense of texture so it's like its not there at all!
  • chevy88grl
    Options

I saw a show about a girl that only ate french fries. She died.

Life.

No one gets out alive.

Fact.
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    [/quote/]

My body will do just fine if I don't eat broccoli. And if you're someone who really doesn't like veggies, take a vitamin.

Problem solved.
  • kindra3434
    kindra3434 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

I don't mind veggies but I have a nutritional supplement greens smoothie from GNC I drink every morning to supplement me. If you don't like veggies there ARE other ways to get vital nutrients no suffering needed. :)
  • cscheiern
    cscheiern Posts: 45
    Options
    I am just reading a book the sneaky chef, where she purees vegetables and other healthy foods and then adds them to foods most people like without any notice of the veggies. I bought it for myself mostly because I am very picky also and I would like to eat more veggies but I am very sensitive to texture and smells. Hopefully I can trick myself into eating more good stuff