Am I doing this right?

Options
Spanaval
Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
This is going to be a little long, so bear with me. I have a small weight loss goal, a bigger BF loss goal, and I realize this means that changes will be slow. But, I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly, and if not, tweak it now instead of getting frustrated and possibly giving up later.

I've been working out for about 6 weeks now, been tracking on MFP for about 3 weeks, maybe a little longer. Started with a calorie goal of 1200, now upped to 1300 (NET), after realizing that 1200 was below my BMR of 1274. SW: 120, CW: 118.5 TDEE of 1730 (Light exercise - although I work out 6 days a week, only 3 of those are intensive, so I don't count the rest), so 80% puts me around 1400 cals a day, but I'm likely eating more, because I'm netting 1300, and eating back my workout calories.

For exercise, I started with basically doing pilates and yoga, 5 days a week, and saw a 2" loss in waist measurement, 1" around chest, and 1" around hips. In the 3 weeks since then, I've changed my exercise routine. Those measurements are unchanged, and I've lost 1" around the arms, .5" around the thighs, and that's it.

My workout schedule is as follows:

Monday: Pure Burn Super Strength (hour long, strength training - compound moves mostly and kicks my @ss)
Tuesday: Pilates (50 minutes long. Started something new, and it was a truly WTH? kinda workout. I have good core strength, and this was pretty well impossible)
Wednesday: JM's Ripped in 30 (It would be classified under circuit training, and I get a decent workout, but find it too short and follow it up with a short core routine)
Thursday: Power Yoga (Also new, 45 minutes long. The 'beginner' workout was HARD. Watched the intermediate level, and that looks pretty impossible right now)
Friday: Totally Ripped Core (45 minutes, I think. Tough workout, gets the HR up)
Saturday: Not sure, maybe a little cardio (I hate cardio. It's my weakest point, and I really should do more because there is a huge amount of heart disease in the family)
Sunday: Active rest day, and I do an hour long yoga to stretch and for stress relief.

Thoughts? Changes to the routines? I'd love to do some weight training, but that's not in the cards right now. Anything I do would have to be done at home, and low impact (very screwed up feet).

Replies

• Spanaval
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    The types of exercises you do is less important than your diet for fat loss.
  • Spanaval
    Options

Please explain. Should I be aiming for particular ratios with my macros?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    This is going to be a little long, so bear with me. I have a small weight loss goal, a bigger BF loss goal, and I realize this means that changes will be slow. But, I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly, and if not, tweak it now instead of getting frustrated and possibly giving up later.

I've been working out for about 6 weeks now, been tracking on MFP for about 3 weeks, maybe a little longer. Started with a calorie goal of 1200, now upped to 1300 (NET), after realizing that 1200 was below my BMR of 1274. SW: 120, CW: 118.5 TDEE of 1730 (Light exercise - although I work out 6 days a week, only 3 of those are intensive, so I don't count the rest), so 80% puts me around 1400 cals a day, but I'm likely eating more, because I'm netting 1300, and eating back my workout calories.

For exercise, I started with basically doing pilates and yoga, 5 days a week, and saw a 2" loss in waist measurement, 1" around chest, and 1" around hips. In the 3 weeks since then, I've changed my exercise routine. Those measurements are unchanged, and I've lost 1" around the arms, .5" around the thighs, and that's it.

My workout schedule is as follows:

Monday: Pure Burn Super Strength (hour long, strength training - compound moves mostly and kicks my @ss)
    Tuesday: Pilates (50 minutes long. Started something new, and it was a truly WTH? kinda workout. I have good core strength, and this was pretty well impossible)
    Wednesday: JM's Ripped in 30 (It would be classified under circuit training, and I get a decent workout, but find it too short and follow it up with a short core routine)
    Thursday: Power Yoga (Also new, 45 minutes long. The 'beginner' workout was HARD. Watched the intermediate level, and that looks pretty impossible right now)
    Friday: Totally Ripped Core (45 minutes, I think. Tough workout, gets the HR up)
    Saturday: Not sure, maybe a little cardio (I hate cardio. It's my weakest point, and I really should do more because there is a huge amount of heart disease in the family)
    Sunday: Active rest day, and I do an hour long yoga to stretch and for stress relief.

Thoughts? Changes to the routines? I'd love to do some weight training, but that's not in the cards right now. Anything I do would have to be done at home, and low impact (very screwed up feet).

The calm type stuff is mainly fat burning. So that's good. And great results from it.
    But you've change the routine, did you change the diet then, increase the daily goal for more activity?

Do you use a HRM for estimating calorie burn? Are you good about eating back your exercise calories?
    Or you did the TDEE method because neither of those is true.

BMR based on bodyfat estimates, or based on age/weight/height estimates?
    http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html
    http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_bmr.html
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

Yeah - I'd aim for about 80-100g of protein per day 20-40g of fats per day and fill rest of calories with carbs.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options

Yeah - I'd aim for about 80-100g of protein per day 20-40g of fats per day and fill rest of calories with carbs.

^I agree with that. I always try to go for 80-100g protein, and under 40g Fat, and also try to get like 50g of Fiber to help keep me full. All the rest are carbs.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    At every meal, Aim to have 1 lean protein, a veggie or fruit (or both) and something thats whole grain. That helped me lose about 60 lbs without even exercising. Not that exercise ISN'T important, but I agree that your diet should come first when it comes to fat loss
  • Spanaval
    Options
    I've upped it from 1200 to 1300. I'm not really sure what activity level to choose for my TDEE, to be quite honest. I'm currently not using a HRM, but am generally diligent about eating back my exercise calories. My general calorie consumption is somewhere between 1400 and 1600, depending on activity level. On occasion, I go under, and if it is a large deficit, I just eat it back the following days. My BMR is based on age/height/weight.
  • Spanaval
    Options

I usually go over on carbs and protein. Because of my dad's heart problems, we tend to eat low sodium/low fat diets anyway. I don't think I've ever gotten to 100 on protein; going to require some creative thinking because the diet is very heavily veggie leaning (I have nothing against eating meats, I just don't like touching them when they're raw).
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    Well if you exercise that much, I would just chose "Active."

I chose "Lightly Active" because I spend a lot of time carrying my 15 month old around and keeping up with him, but other than that I only exercise for maybe 30 minutes 4 times a week, and its something minimal like hula hooping or walking.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options

I usually go over on carbs and protein. Because of my dad's heart problems, we tend to eat low sodium/low fat diets anyway. I don't think I've ever gotten to 100 on protein; going to require some creative thinking because the diet is very heavily veggie leaning (I have nothing against eating meats, I just don't like touching them when they're raw).

I don't like raw meat either.
    Some good sources of protein that aren't "raw" meat are eggs, canned tuna, greek yogurt, Kashi Go Lean cereal.
  • Robertlawnicki
    Robertlawnicki Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is my exercise schedule.

Mon. Wed. Fri. 7 abs. 2 legs 2 back 30 min. cardio on speed bike
    Tues. 4 lats 4 Triceps 30 min. cardio on speed bike
    Thurs. 9 chest 30 min. cardio on speed bike
    Sat. 8 Bicepts 30 min. cardio on speed bike
    Sun. 5 Shoulder 30 min cardio on speed bike

Abs workout is 6 sets 25 reps. All other workouts are 3 sets 15 reps.

I have been doing this schedule for 2 plus years. I have been on a diet for 2 plus years
    so far I have lost 80 lbs.
    My diet is 40% Protein 30% fat 30% carbs with a total amount of daily cal. of 1500 on an average.

I have not lost any weight in the past 5 months, as a mater af fact I gained 10 lbs.

I am 69 years old and in great health.

Now for my question. Why have I stopped losing weight ?
    Is my exercise schedule ok?
    Why can't I lose my belly fat?

I went to a trainer at the club I go to he told me that everything I was doing was wrong. He told me that
    I am not working the correct muscles. Is he correct? Or he just trying to sell me a training program?

Right now I am realy confused.

Bob
  • smcwllms
    smcwllms Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In reply to the original poster, reference strength training: You can still do effective strength training at home. Pushups are great. A set of dumbells and a cheap bench can do wonders. You don't need all the crap at the gym.
  • isazzzz
    isazzzz Posts: 95
    Options
    This is my exercise schedule.

Mon. Wed. Fri. 7 abs. 2 legs 2 back 30 min. cardio on speed bike
    Tues. 4 lats 4 Triceps 30 min. cardio on speed bike
    Thurs. 9 chest 30 min. cardio on speed bike
    Sat. 8 Bicepts 30 min. cardio on speed bike
    Sun. 5 Shoulder 30 min cardio on speed bike

Abs workout is 6 sets 25 reps. All other workouts are 3 sets 15 reps.

I have been doing this schedule for 2 plus years. I have been on a diet for 2 plus years
    so far I have lost 80 lbs.
    My diet is 40% Protein 30% fat 30% carbs with a total amount of daily cal. of 1500 on an average.

I have not lost any weight in the past 5 months, as a mater af fact I gained 10 lbs.

I am 69 years old and in great health.

Now for my question. Why have I stopped losing weight ?
    Is my exercise schedule ok?
    Why can't I lose my belly fat?

I went to a trainer at the club I go to he told me that everything I was doing was wrong. He told me that
    I am not working the correct muscles. Is he correct? Or he just trying to sell me a training program?

Right now I am realy confused.

Bob

Dude I think you gained muscle. Your workouts seem pretty intense there..
  • Spanaval
    Options
    In reply to the original poster, reference strength training: You can still do effective strength training at home. Pushups are great. A set of dumbells and a cheap bench can do wonders. You don't need all the crap at the gym.

I do. Both Bob Harper's workouts and JM's uses weights. Pilates and Yoga make generous use of planks, and the yoga at the moment is about 3 million planks to up dog to pushup to down dog, among other things.