Help! I think I have A binge-eating PROBLEM..

Options
Okay, this has happened enough that I know my pattern and I know I need help figuring out what to do.

The thing is for around 2 weeks I manage to do really well. I eat healthy, I workout every time I am supposed to and I make sure to avoid pitfalls and keep strong. On the third week, someone will pop up and offer me unhealthy stuff or I will see something I like but know is too decadent and my will falls to pieces. I eat terribly that day and for the next 2-3 days I eat somewhat badly. However, this time I was much more prepared. After I ate all that cake(I have no idea why I ate so much), I had stocked my house with healthy alternatives to the bad stuff and even though I did get take out it was the healthier stuff and I only ate so much at a time. But still, I kinda gorged on this food like I always do and I need help...

For background information, no I can't just avoid the stuff...It is at school and I can't control it. I try my best to say all these mantras, use pictures, think of consequences, and etc. but it still happens. Also, no matter what, I stay on top of my workout regime(nothing and I do mean nothing stops me from working out). I have been working at this for nearly a year and I've managed to go from entire weeks of this binge eating to just a few days of not good eating habits. I also have many nay-sayers in my life...like my mom...who constantly says I'll end up doing this, but I really want to stop myself so I try as hard as possible. I am in this mainly alone and I've tried to get others, but it doesn't work out.

Someone, please tell me why in the world this keeps happening and what I can possibly do to stop it....

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Binge eating can be a tough thing to break.. Honestly, binges is the way I got to be 344 lbs (now down to 291.. yay)... Most vices are easy to break because you can totally do without them.. drugs, alcohol, tobacco... BUT overeating is more of a challenge simply because you must eat something. That being said, I personally find that certain types of food (sugars and processed foods) are harder to break than others... By minimizing those or finding healthier alternatives it is a bit easier... Instead of that candy bar (that I used to eat several in a day), I may have a protein bar.. It is still sweet but at least there is some food value in it.

It may be in your case that you just need to restrict the amount of the foods you take in..> If you are offered a piece of cake ... eat it without feeling guilty (I do)... But don't take any home with you... Don't allow a moment to turn into a lifestyle. Even if you do binge on that one cake... stop it and move forward... You have made progress... It will be ok. Best wishes
  • babbgirl1975
    babbgirl1975 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have been the same way for years. It is a really hard habit to break. I'd have 2 or 3 perfectly good weeks then crash! I think some of it is because during those weeks, it's all or nothing kinda thing. I've been binge free for a little while now although I have to fight it regularly. I'm re-training my mind to eat normally. My main thing is only eat if I'm hungry. I used to eat just because I loved putting food in my mouth & I couldn't stop myself. If I want something I have it...in moderation. And not everyday all day. Every now & then. You really have to be determined. I've gotten to a point where I feel healthy again, not weighed down, bloated, icky, irritable. And I like this feeling so much more than those. I'm choosing to continue feeling that way. I take it 1 day at a time & face the urges...one urge at at time. So now it's one victory at a time! You can do, & its not always going to be easy. If I know its something that I won't be able to stop, it's best not to start!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It appears you are eating at an excellent level to feed your workouts, or at least 1700's is not the ever present 1200's.
    Not sure if you are doing TDEE-20% level and including exercise already, hence not feeding your workouts, or what.

BUT - you can remind yourself when it is present, or presented to you - will this fuel my workouts? Will this help me work out better?

And even use that as a reason verbally with whoever - "oh, I gotta workout later and that'll slow me down" or "mess it up", ect.

Which, even at the base level of extra fat will slow you down, it's probably not the best fuel anyway.

If you need an immediate in your face reason, perhaps having good workouts could be it.
  • ahubbard134
    ahubbard134 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead works well for me...sometimes. I'll anticipate special events or whatever and make sure to do something healthy and low-calorie for the meals I can control, so it doesn't break the bank when the cake comes up.
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try to plan in treats regularly. A piece of cake, a bar of chocolate, whatever takes your fancy. If you cut out the things you like then eventually you'll have a moment of weakness and gorge yourself. If you know that you can occasionally have them, you won't crave them so much and you won't have to feel guilty.
    If you can have a treat twice a week (perhaps on exercise days, or on days when you have lots of veggies to fill up on) you won't crave treats so much. If you are like me, you're binging out of guilt, and if you planned it in you won't feel guilty over your treat.

Also, reward yourself a non-food treat if you to turn down foods you really can't have that day and you don't binge. Buy a nice smelling bath-bomb, a magazine or whatever makes you happy. Then you still get a treat but without any calories.
  • WeekendDM52
    Options
    Hi Alex,

Very brave of you to post this. Hope I can help. I went to an all girls boarding school and saw the sides of eating disorders that no one should ever have to see, including people in hospital. The brilliant thing for you is that you can intervene now and stop it going down that path- please please listen to me- I really, really know what I am talking about.

You need to take responsibility for your eating. Have you noticed that in your post you say 'it still happens' as if it has a mind of its own and is beyond your control. Unless someone is forcing food down your throat, you ARE in control and you CAN control it- I promise. You deserve to do well.

You need to identify what triggers it. Is it being bored, lonely, feeling down, or do you tennd to binge at a particular time of day? Once you have done this you can then avoid those situations, which avoids the triggers and hence the eating. The best way to do this is to use distraction e.g if you are at work, running aroud, serving customers, sorting out other peoples' mess (!), etc, food won't even cross your mind. If you tend to eat e.g in the evenings, why not go to the gym in the evenings instead, or go out, see friends, go for a walk, etc, anything that gets your mind off food. You will find, after time, that food becomes less and less a part of your life, and one day you'll realise that you haven't overeaten for a week, a month, a year, 5 years. Spending time with others acts as a barrier to bingeing too, because you would't eat a whole (e.g.) cheesecake infront of people, woud you?!

If you are still struggling, go to your GP. They can refer you for CBT, which works really well. You CAN get out of this and have a healthy relatioship with food- I have seen it happen.

Wishing you all the very best

Izzy
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    In addition to all the helpful and wise words of those who already replied...
    (You'll have to right click and view image to see the full picture)

A+few+bad+days+can%27t+ruin+a+weight+loss+plan+-+MotiveWeight.Blogspot.com.jpg
  • LisaSaysHi
    LisaSaysHi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Same for me, and I know why (at least for me). I'm an emotional eater. When I'm doing well with my diet, I feel like it has to be "perfect". By eating anything I'm not supposed to, I feel like I've just screwed it up. Then my emotions say to me, "You suck. You just blew it, you loser. Why can't you just stick to a diet, you idiot? How hard can it be??? You may as well just drown your sorrows in that whole pizza since you already screwed up anyway!"

I don't know if that feels familiar to you, but I can tell you what helps me. I have to remember that PERFECTION is not the goal. PROGRESS is the goal. I try to set realistic goals, and I give myself permission to give into my cravings when I can fit it within my calorie goal for the day. For you, it might help to measure out a sensible portion of something you're craving. Make a commitment to yourself that if you eat too much, walk it off that evening. Losing weight is really hard work and it can be exhausting, both mentally and physically. Just know that you are not alone. We're all going through it. Maybe it's easier for some that others. For me, I have the same issues that you do and to be honest I have not coped well either. Just reading and replying to your post has motivated me to work harder, so thank you!
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    I didn't read the other replies yet...having been a binge eater for most of my life I feel what you are going through. I try and stay away from my "trigger foods" for me it's ice cream, certain cakes. I take one bite and I'm Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Of course our issues have nothing to do with actually being hungry. Could I recommend and OA meeting (over eaters Anon) or perhaps a councilor to help you through?
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    This is definitely a process, and If you can make progress, you're doing wonderful!! This about a healthy lifestyle, and who said you can't have a little indulgence in a healthy lifestyle?? I understand the will power thing, i gave in to some choc. cheesecake just yesterday. I felt aweful for the rest of the night. But I would try to see if your friends would split portions with you. Rather than each getting a large piece of cake, or candy or whatever. See if they will share with you so you're doing both yourself and them a favor. Load up on water before you go out with friends so you're not super hungry when you go out. I wish you luck, and if you need any support I'm here. Friend me if you like :)
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    What's worked for me has been planning for a treat on a "free day". I eat within my calories, etc. six days a week. On day 7, I don't binge, I don't go crazy, but if I go a bit over it's ok. So, if I want pizza on Thursday, and free day is Saturday...I wait until free day. If I still want it, I have some. I look forward to it. I enjoy it...and I don't have a crazy amount. I still eat good portions, but I think it help not to think "I can never eat X again".

Also, I think it helps to really figure out whats the root cause of your over-eating. Maybe a therapist, or just some good reflection with a notebook. :-)

The most important thing is to get back on if you fall off - the only way you won't succeed is if you give up. You can totally do this!
  • hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the book "Brain over Binge", it's helped me so much!
  • AlexJourneyHall
    AlexJourneyHall Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I will definitely be using your suggestions!