Nutrition Label Surprises

Options

Replies

• Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It's not the calories in things that surprises me, or the serving size. I am mind blown at how much sodium is things. Even bottled flavored water has sodium in it to help preserve the flavor. I have been trying to keep my sodium within a healthy range and dont use any extra salt on anything anymore. But now I check the nutrition value on everything and many things have a lot of sodium. For instance I was told to use low sodium soy sauce instead of the regular stuff. Even with it being low sodium and all it still has over 600 mg of sodium per tablespoon.
  • mclarenemma
    Options
    A lot of young mother don't realize that milk has sugar in it. AKA it can rot your babies teeth.

Yup it's called lactose, as is the sugar found in bread (gluten) and in fruit (fructose)
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    A lot of young mother don't realize that milk has sugar in it. AKA it can rot your babies teeth.

Ok Im sorry but this S#!T pisses me off! " A lot of young mothers"...because clearly if your a mom and under 40 your automatically a moron. And milk? Breastmilk? nope false... Formula? probably but some moms dont have a choice Cows Milk? Pretty sure most kids/people on the planet have or do drink it and have great teeth. Ddo you even have children? If so mind your own..if not MIND YOUR BUSINESS and stop judging other moms we have enough on our plates, young, old or otherwise and dont need ignorant people like you making it more difficult. SMH
  • djkamin60
    djkamin60 Posts: 88
    Options
    Sodium Content in prepackaged foods. My Pet Peeve however is the small print that nutrition information and ingredient list is on labels. Some of the labels you need a magnifying glass to read.
  • natashamcn
    natashamcn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Take 1 guess at to what I do for a living. Yup! I'm checking your kids teeth for cavities. I see far too many kids come in with rotted teeth to not mention this on the boards for those that don't know. Did you know that "full mouth clearances" are still common in this day and age? AKA every single last tooth in the mouth gets taken out at once under sedation due to "baby-bottle syndrome". We have a year and a half long waitlist for this procedure where I live. If you already knew this then good for you. It may serve as useful information for those that are not in the know. Sorry if I offended anyone. This was meant to be an educational post.

Ok Im sorry but this S#!T pisses me off! " A lot of young mothers"...because clearly if your a mom and under 40 your automatically a moron. And milk? Breastmilk? nope false... Formula? probably but some moms dont have a choice Cows Milk? Pretty sure most kids/people on the planet have or do drink it and have great teeth. Ddo you even have children? If so mind your own..if not MIND YOUR BUSINESS and stop judging other moms we have enough on our plates, young, old or otherwise and dont need ignorant people like you making it more difficult. SMH
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    What surprises me is everything you all have mentioned. But, why don't the manufactures make things in single servings?

But, here's my huge pet peeve now. We're going to delve into a new area called restaurant servings.

I love hummus. And there's an awesome little Greek place near my house w here I like to go eat, and I will always order hummus, which comes with warm pita bread. It is o delicious. But, now that I've become more attuned to how much a serving of hummus is, it's gross how much they serve. They probably bring out a serving of 5 to 7. I used to eat it all myself, no problem, now, I don't order it because it's gross to eat hat much.

But, I got o thinking about something. Restaurants could start serving single serving and charge way less. So, like if the large thing of hummus is $5, what f they had a single serving for $.99? How awesome would that be? They could do that with everything. That way, people watching what they are eating could eat or cheap, and the restaurant could use that cheap pricing as advertising.

Anyway, the idea of BIG PORTIONS is out of hand. But, I don't think it's the restaurants fault. Just go read Yelp, everyone rating them starts out with the "portion size". For me, I'd rather pay less and get a single serving.
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Prior post ... Well I hate that pop tarts are 200 calories for ONE PASTRY. Not one Package. How the hell am I supposed to open the wrapping and only have one pastry??? smh

TRY Special K Crispy ... They have a new snack that taste a lot like Strawberry Pop Tarts. I love them!
  • kelleybelly35
    kelleybelly35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Well I hate that pop tarts are 200 calories for ONE PASTRY. Not one Package. How the hell am I supposed to open the wrapping and only have one pastry??? smh
    i agree i usually dont eat pop-tarts but they came out with a pumpkin pie one and it is so good with coffee
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    It`s not one product that really shocks me, it`s serving sizes in general. My parents really lead me wrong...

What I thought 1 serving of granola was as a teen compared to what it actually is...It`s no wonder why I`m overweight.

This also applies to tons of other foods...cereal in general, peanut butter (you mean 1 tablespoon has how many calories??)
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I still can't believe how much sugar is in everything -.-
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Honestly, basically nothing. Even when I was fat, I read nutrition labels. Plus, if you stop and think about it, a lot of stuff is pretty obvious. For example, trail mix is nuts (high fat) and raisins (high sugar), did you really think it was going to be low calorie?
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I show my kids all the time. Mainly because that's how I eat. They are totally used to my portions. So, I show them what a portion of cereal looks like, and then I let them have as much as they want. I think it's important o at least expose them to it. They don't need to worry about it right now. But, later, they'll probably appreciate that I taught them about proper nutrition.
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    Ive seen whole cashews clock in at 170 cals for TWO tablespoons. Those are the types of things that i seriously start doubting the label and launch an in depth investigation about. Sometimes oatmeal or muesli can me surprisingly high cal, and a lot of hot cereals that actually do have some good stuff in them can be like 180-200 for a whopping fourth cup. Like, how is that gonna do me for breakfast?

1) Weigh your food, don't use volume measurements for things like cashews, because seriously, a whole cashew is a tablespoon, so how can you accurately measure them using one?

2) Are you seriously suggesting an investigation, or are you joking? If you're serious, I'd like some of whatever you're smoking. For whole foods, like cashews, it's pretty easy to look up the number of calories (plus fat, etc.) in 100 grams, then all you have to do is weigh the food.

3) As for the calories in oatmeal, 27grams of dried oatmeal (roughly 1/3 cup dried, probably closer to 2/3c cooked) has 102 calories in it (based on nutritiondata.com). How is that shocking?
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    I show my kids all the time. Mainly because that's how I eat. They are totally used to my portions. So, I show them what a portion of cereal looks like, and then I let them have as much as they want. I think it's important o at least expose them to it. They don't need to worry about it right now. But, later, they'll probably appreciate that I taught them about proper nutrition.

I don't have kids, but this sounds like a great strategy to me. It exposes them to the idea of a serving size, and gives them a realistic view of how much people really need to eat, but also (hopefully) teaches them to listen to their bodies.
  • 2Grtkids
    2Grtkids Posts: 93
    Options

I love this - you've inspired me to start doing this with my kids too. Thanks!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Nuts have tons of calories but are also a good source of healthy fats. They are very satiating, so a few tablespoons can fuel you for several hours. I eat nuts just about every day... either peanut butter or almonds. Several public health studies have demonstrated that people who regularly consume nuts lose more weight and gain less weight over time than people who consume other types of snacks. One benefit of nuts is that they don't cause insulin spikes and trigger sugar cravings. Its important to measure nuts, granola, trail mix because of the calories - but that doesn't mean they are bad foods!
  • tinam76
    tinam76 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    so much stuff is like this snapple soda chips smoothies hell croutons are 2tbs a serving guess we all gotta walk around with measuring devices instead of not leaving home with american express u can't leave home without a table spoon. alot of prepacked stuff is a set up the arzona tall can is like 3 servings 8 oz of soda really is the tiny can
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Aldis tomato risotto. Thought it was 550 cals for half a bag. Was in mfp as this too so had tricked someone elseam was eating half. A pack for lunch. Its 1100 calories per pack! How the heck is that 4 servings? For a mouse maybe! Its in teeny writing too! X
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I was shocked to discover that Slimfast shakes are 10% sugar!!!!! No wonder they taste so good!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I've always been a label reader for calories. In the past 6 months, I have been checking out the sodium content of what I eat. I knew frozen entrees were high in sodium, but I had no idea HOW high. Now, except for maybe once a month, I no longer eat Lean Cuisine, Weight Watchers, etc. I cook fresh now, but it is very expensive as I like the good stuff when I do my own cooking.