Bummed by 1000 calorie count

Options

Replies

• khara2012
    khara2012 Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Coffee every hour? Yikes. I think you can still have coffee in your life, just in moderation. Maybe one or two a day? As for calories, 1000 does seem low. I would do two things:

1. Add exercise in because besides making you healthier it allows you more calories.
    2. Concentrate of getting a ton of veggies. They fill you up and are low calorie, high nutrient foods.

I think the coffee thing came from my days as a barista. Old delicious habits are hard to break! :)
  • choose2bfree
    Options
    Ok, so... yes I am new MFP, but not new to sites such as this. I did skim pretty fast, but I didn’t see where you said what the profile you completed when you joined told you? Neither did I see where anyone suggested you do that….soooooo…. DO IT if you haven’t. I'm 5'10", sedentary and weigh 273. YIKES!!! The calculation on MFP suggested 1650 calories per day. That is dead on with the suggestion given to me on Friday by an MD at a medical weight management clinic. They do bariatric surgery as well as helping people the old fashioned way. :wink:
  • MaryBowen27
    MaryBowen27 Posts: 132
    Options
    I bet I was at 2000 calories a day before I started logging my food. You may be right about the calorie reduction. I have lost 3 pounds so far in a little over 2 weeks and have gone over 1200 calories at least 3 or 4 days. I'm gonna' try to do my walking in the morning on the weekends (those are my bad days) and just do what I can during the week. My day is so busy I don't really get around to walking until 7 or so at night. I would rather get my metabolism going a little earlier in the day, if you know what I mean.

I would continue doing what you're doing and pretend you didn't hear 1000 Cals a day, that is ridiculously low, by any standards and will work against you and likely slow your metabolism. I would use the my fitness pal suggestion and take that with a grain of salt. I think MFP gives more reasonable, liveable numbers.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    And exactly what did this doctor look like from a calorie control perspective? It seems that many of these people are in dire need of a dietician themselves.

I once went to a doctor in my early 20's to have a septoplasty. The doctor came in with dirt under his fingernails and closely resembled Chet from the movie "Weird Science" after Kelly LeBroc got a hold of him. He looked at my nose and said he could fix my septum, and as an added bonus, he'd remove what he thought was a bump from the top. He said, "We'll make you look just like Michael Jackson!"

I ran. I did not walk.

:laugh: I don't know how long ago this happened, but I don't think looking like Michael Jackson was something anyone would want any time in the last 10 or 15 years of his life at least...
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    you need a new doc.. The deduction that at your age and weight = 1000 cal a day is horrible. get a new doc.
  • gregp2012
    gregp2012 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You look great, baby!
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said to see a dietician or nutritionist. 1,000 a day is too low. There are diets out there that go that low and lower but they are strictly monitored by medical personnel. Don't tear your body down and get sick! The only other thing I can say is to stay at what MFP rec's--1200 and add exercise to get a few more calories. Your body NEEDS energy to exercise and maintain your systems. Yes, you need to take in less than you burn but you cannot burn more than you take in!

Do this the smart and safe way. Do not hurt yourself! Good nutrition is just as important as cutting calories and exercise.
  • martdian0512
    Options
    I think 1000 calories is too low too. I am 43 and am on 1250 -I went from 145 to 135 in a month. Most days I am under my goal if I go for walks or work out (gives you extra calories to consume). So yeah a second opinion is a good idea. Good luck! :)
    PS I think you should keep the Bailey's as a weekly treat. ;)
  • 100over
    100over Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You've only got 40 lbs to lose....1,000 cals a day is ridiculous. I'm on 1250 a day and I find that difficult to be on. I'm usually 200 or so over but they're healthy cals and I'm still losing weight. I'm 5'4" and 42 yrs old.
    I hear ya on the coffee thing....I drank on average 6-8 cups a day, no sugar, but lots of half and half. It's not just my weight that changed that last week, but I was diagnosed with LPR which is a severe form of acid reflux and has burnt the lining of my throat and voicebox. The biggest things I was told to avoid was fat and cofffee. Well, sorry but coffee just wasn't happening, so I made the horrible decision to use skim milk instead of cream. I used to hate people like me and wonder how they even enjoyed their coffee with skim milk.....baahhhh. What I've done is set my coffee make to mild instead of strong, use less coffee per pot, and then the skim milk doesn't tast too bad. I admit it's not as pleasurable, so I'm down to about 3 cups a day but at least I can move in the morning and act human - lol.
    Good luck and be sensible. Don't starve yourself otherwise you'll just gain it right back :-)
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give up caffeine!

word. and why would you if you really LOVE coffee? maybe cut out some of the 'creaminess' but you can still have coffee imo (unless you have an underlying health condition).
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    It is SO dangerous to eat under 1200 calories PERIOD no ifs, ands, or buts about it..My 16 month old is supposed to eat 1300+! You need to eat your BMR or you won't burn just fat, but muscle too, so be very careful and try to calculate your BMR, which I would estimate at 1400 calories..it may be a little more or less, but not 1000! P.S. You don't even look fat too me so why someone would tell you to eat that low is crazy. You look very lovely <3
  • khara2012
    khara2012 Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    You've only got 40 lbs to lose....1,000 cals a day is ridiculous. I'm on 1250 a day and I find that difficult to be on. I'm usually 200 or so over but they're healthy cals and I'm still losing weight. I'm 5'4" and 42 yrs old.
    I hear ya on the coffee thing....I drank on average 6-8 cups a day, no sugar, but lots of half and half. It's not just my weight that changed that last week, but I was diagnosed with LPR which is a severe form of acid reflux and has burnt the lining of my throat and voicebox. The biggest things I was told to avoid was fat and cofffee. Well, sorry but coffee just wasn't happening, so I made the horrible decision to use skim milk instead of cream. I used to hate people like me and wonder how they even enjoyed their coffee with skim milk.....baahhhh. What I've done is set my coffee make to mild instead of strong, use less coffee per pot, and then the skim milk doesn't tast too bad. I admit it's not as pleasurable, so I'm down to about 3 cups a day but at least I can move in the morning and act human - lol.
    Good luck and be sensible. Don't starve yourself otherwise you'll just gain it right back :-)

I love your story...except about the LPR. Thanks for sharing with me. I am definitely going to reconsider keeping my calories around 1200. My BMR said 1208, so I think I'm gonna' shoot for that!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I love your story...except about the LPR. Thanks for sharing with me. I am definitely going to reconsider keeping my calories around 1200. My BMR said 1208, so I think I'm gonna' shoot for that!

Excellent -- take charge of your own health :) I would eat your BMR at *minimum*. Good luck!
  • YossDillo
    YossDillo Posts: 19
    Options
    If you go under 1200 calories doesn't your body go into starvation mode? That doesn't seem safe. I'd get a second opinion or use the calorie calculator here.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    If you go under 1200 calories doesn't your body go into starvation mode? That doesn't seem safe. I'd get a second opinion or use the calorie calculator here.
    Indeed!
  • Verity1111
    Options

Excellent -- take charge of your own health :) I would eat your BMR at *minimum*. Good luck!
    ^^^^^
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the replies to this post, but I'm sure others have mentioned this. But 1,000 calories is rediculous! I've been taught to eat 1200 a day MINIMUM. If you eat under 1200, your body will go into starvation mode and store fat. I would suggest plugging your weight loss goals into this site and see how many calories it suggests that you eat. Another very important factor is to make sure that you get in some kind of activity. This will burn calories, which will allow you to eat a little bit more if you feel like you need to. Best of luck!
  • indigochilds
    indigochilds Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    How tall are you by the way?
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    1,000 is not healthy! Like has been said, starvation mode is no good. I would suggest reading Portia DeRossie's (Ellen's wife) book "Unbearable Lightness". Granted, she is a model and not a writer, but it puts a lot into perspective. I just bought Zumba for the Wii, to make exercise fun. I don't know if you have kids, but have them do it with you, might be a great starting point.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Prime example that doctors aren't dietitians. Definitely get a second opinion as that's ridiculously low.