Other people maintaining??

Options
I've been trying to maintain my weight for a month now and I'm finding it very hard! I've upped my calories but I'm finding myself more hungry than I was when I was trying to lose....

Anyone else out there maintaining weight? I'd love to get some new friends and read some food diaries for guidance?

Replies

• GW1970
    GW1970 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    trying to Maintain as well, but finding it difficult. same problem in that i feel a lot more hungry but i'm still losing weight. just trying to chill about it at the moment and see if my body finds its own balance again.
  • redbekah
    redbekah Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So if you are getting hungry have you been eating more than what is your recommended maintenance to fufill the hunger?
  • 2Bskinny4good_Stacie
    Options
    I'm working on maintaining too. Would love to network with more people in the same situation. Sent you a friend request a few minutes ago.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to maintain my weight for a month now and I'm finding it very hard! I've upped my calories but I'm finding myself more hungry than I was when I was trying to lose....

So what are you eating in calories compared to the TDEE estimate, how much exercise etc ?
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I'm also in maintenance mode. That is, I've hit my goal, and have upped my calories. However, I'm worried about gaining so have my goal here set to lose 1/2 pound...and have lost a few more as a result. I don't feel hungry, though.

I am exercising a little more than I was before maintenance, but that's because I'm running my first 10K in 2 weeks so have been training for that.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Feel free to send me a friend request any time you want. :)

I have been in Maintenance mode since Feb. The weight continued to drop for a few weeks, however, as I upped my calories -- mostly because I've also been increasing the intensity of my strength training. I am not afraid to gain a few lbs but have not been able to eat all my TDEE calories every day simply because there's just no room in the tummy, lol. And since my meals now have fewer carbs and more protein + good fats, I've been staying full much longer.
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    Feel free to add me anyone! I've been maintaining for the past month or so now. I find myself eating like a horse. I've also increased my weights / adjusted my macros / significantly increased my protein intake. I find myself fluctuating between the same 3 lbs ever since I've started to maintain.
  • GW1970
    GW1970 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    So if you are getting hungry have you been eating more than what is your recommended maintenance to fufill the hunger?
    like one of the other members said, i've still got it set on a small deficeit atm. firstly to try and get "THE STOMACH" (vanity is a terrible thing) and secondly as i didn't want to put any weight back on. i'd say that i'm eating when i'm hungry so on some days i will be over eating, but then on swimming days i have no chance of eating those calories back, so over the week i'm still (obviously as i'm still losing weight) below my target.
    like i said , i've been on this for about a month now, have started lifting so trying to not worry about it too much and just let myself balance into the new routines.
    more friends in the same sitution are most welcome:smile:
  • froggzy1015
    froggzy1015 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining since Sept., but stopped keeping a diary since my weight pretty much stays within 3 to 4 pounds of my goal. If you would like to friend me, please do!!! :flowerforyou:
  • paramedicsarah
    Options
    I've only got a couple of pounds to go before I reach my target weight. I started using MFP mainly to eat healthier and get fitter, so I didn't have much to lose in the first place. I have lost 10lb though so something works! Plus I'm feeling the benefit of getting fitter too. I'll be looking to maintain soon, so any new friends doing the same are welcome! :)
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am maintaining and even trying to *maybe* gain a couple of pounds (trying to wrap my head around That Concept is so weird, lol). I have added a huge protein shake at lunch with lots of fruit and veg to keep me really full and keep the macros where they should be. I do get hungry if I don't eat enough protein, and I am famished if I eat a lot of simple carbs, so I try to keep the fats and the proteins up and the (simple) carbs down. It seems to be working pretty well- at 5'7 and 122 lbs I finally feel like I am starting to build up some muscle!
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i just posted the same question! im looking to maintain now as well, and would love any support it seems some days its a struggle <3
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've been officially in maintenance since October but about the same weight since July. I recently stopped logging because it was making me a bit obsessive... on major exercise days I wasn't hungry and had a hard time getting enough calories, then on rest days I'd be famished, so I'm giving "eating how and when I feel like eating" a try.

Exercise was my weak (more like missing) link before, and even without being all that active, I mostly maintained a healthy weight my whole life, so with regular exercise, I should be fine.
  • lornathewizzard
    lornathewizzard Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congratulations on hitting your goals folks! I have been on maintenance calories (1680) since Christmas, although I have lost about 6-7 lbs since then.
    I do find that I rely on my exercise calories now a lot more than I used to so I can eat when I am particularly hungry, and I definitely make use of the weekly total on my iphone app so it balances out over the week.

The best advice I was given when I started maintenance was to have a 'range' that you are happy with, maybe 3-5 lbs of a range, so you know as soon as you go over that you go back to eating at a net deficit. Otherwise you will just obsess over being at a particular number and drive yourself crazy. I haven't been over the top of mine yet :)

It's much easier to be relaxed about what the scales say in maintenance mode I feel, particularly using a weight range as I say, which makes the whole process a lot easier. And folks, don't worry about putting on a few lbs. Most likely it will drop after your body gets used to the up in calories, and it it doesn't after a few weeks - you are well practiced at getting it off! Much like weight loss, you need to give these things time. Things will need adjustment. I am likely going to up my calories soon so that I actually maintain, rather than dropping a bit here and there.

Anyway, anyone feel free to add me, I'm always open to new buddies :)
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congratulations on hitting your goals folks! I have been on maintenance calories (1680) since Christmas, although I have lost about 6-7 lbs since then.
    I do find that I rely on my exercise calories now a lot more than I used to so I can eat when I am particularly hungry, and I definitely make use of the weekly total on my iphone app so it balances out over the week.

The best advice I was given when I started maintenance was to have a 'range' that you are happy with, maybe 3-5 lbs of a range, so you know as soon as you go over that you go back to eating at a net deficit. Otherwise you will just obsess over being at a particular number and drive yourself crazy. I haven't been over the top of mine yet :)

It's much easier to be relaxed about what the scales say in maintenance mode I feel, particularly using a weight range as I say, which makes the whole process a lot easier. And folks, don't worry about putting on a few lbs. Most likely it will drop after your body gets used to the up in calories, and it it doesn't after a few weeks - you are well practiced at getting it off! Much like weight loss, you need to give these things time. Things will need adjustment. I am likely going to up my calories soon so that I actually maintain, rather than dropping a bit here and there.

^^^ everyone add her, she's the best :D
  • lornathewizzard
    lornathewizzard Posts: 172 Member
    Options

^^^ everyone add her, she's the best :D

Haha, woot :)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Almost to maintenance:)) Good Job for all the goals reached!!!!!!! Anybody can add me if they want:)
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is a great topic. I'm going to add all of you maintenance people, if you don't mind.

I have been on maintenance for almost a month now, and I'm up 1.5 lbs or so. I find that since I've upped my cals, I'm hungry MORE often. Go figure. I've also been more lax about my food choices, so I've been eating more empty carbs and stuff, which I know is not a good thing.

I think sometimes I need a good kick in the pants to remind me how hard it was to lose these 20+ lbs! Mostly, I need to recognize how far I've come, and realize that my old habits creeping back will lead me back to my starting weight (or higher, even!)
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for the past month and I'm still adjusting and trying to figure things out. Feel free to add me - the more the merrier.
  • jencute
    jencute Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i've been trying super hard to maintain but it just isn't happening. I cant figure out where to get all these calories in.