The Scale is EVIL!

Options
Okay, so quick question: I have seen changes in my body. My thighs, butt, stomach, abs and arms are all seeing great improvements. The only thing I'm struggling with is the scale. I keep stepping on it hoping to see a different number and I keep getting the same number every day. I don't really know what to do. :ohwell: I want to lose pounds AND inches but the scale is not cooperating. I've been at this, on and off, for about 3 weeks now. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :happy:

Replies

• larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    So you are seeing a change in only a couple of weeks? That's GREAT!!!

People will drop weight at different rates. You are still working it all out in terms of excersise and diet.

If you want to see a drop on the scales then try upping the amount of COLD water you drink for a week. Do it every day. Have that replace your soda. Aim for at least 8 x 8oz cups.

Can I also suggest you take some BEFORE pictures so you can see yourself how the life changes are impacting on your body. I think most people would rather drop inches than pounds.

Good luck and KEEP GOING. You can do this!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Throw the scale out. Weight is a meaningless number. Measurements and body fat percentage are all you need. (Ok, so I guess you technically need to know your weight to get your body fat percentage, but weight by itself doesn't mean anything.)

For an example:
    m10.jpg

Based on his weight alone, Arnold Schwarzenegger was considered Obese in this picture, when he won the Mr. Olympia competition. Focus more on measurements, and less on the actual weight.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Okay, so quick question: I have seen changes in my body. My thighs, butt, stomach, abs and arms are all seeing great improvements. The only thing I'm struggling with is the scale. I keep stepping on it hoping to see a different number and I keep getting the same number every day. I don't really know what to do. :ohwell: I want to lose pounds AND inches but the scale is not cooperating. I've been at this, on and off, for about 3 weeks now. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :happy:

Nobody sees your scale number, but everyone can see your inches lost - that's far more important - well done, you are doing great!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Inches are more important, they are what gets you into a smaller pair of pants. ;-). The pounds will come with time if you keep the calories in check, keep in mind that you may be retaining water from your fairly new exercises, especially when you bump up the intensity. Don't let the scale freak you out when you can see and feel other improvements. :-)

ETA: but don't try to take your measurements too often of you'll get discouraged b/c frequent measuring will only show very small changes if any. I know you recently took your measurements b/c you started up an exercise program, DO NOT take your new measurements until you finish the program. That way you'll have actual noticeable changes if you have stayed with the program and pushed yourself. Try not to let the scale get you down while you're waiting to finish the program.

Also, make sure you're drinking plenty of water/fluids and try not to go too overboard on sodium to help combat water retention. Water weight is only temporary but it is still annoying to see a bigger number on the scale because of it. ;-)
  • quiltbugj
    quiltbugj Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I much prefer to guage on how my clothes fit.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Throw the scale out. Weight is a meaningless number. Measurements and body fat percentage are all you need. (Ok, so I guess you technically need to know your weight to get your body fat percentage, but weight by itself doesn't mean anything.)
    Weight is not meaningless. If someone is 400 lbs and needs to get to a healthy 150 lbs, then the scale has to move.

The scale is just another measuring tool and benchmark. We shouldn't discard it because someone's feeling are hurt by a number on a screen.
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself about every 2 to 3 weeks. I look at more noticeable things, my jeans being looser. my wedding band sliding when before it was almost cutting into my finger, having to fasten the band of my bra on a tighter hook. Those are my little signals that something is going right. My husband was dancing around the living room the other night because his wedding band fell clear off. (I guess we are gonna have to do something about that!) Right now my goal is for my engagement ring to fit again.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    The scale is not EVIL if you take the time to learn how your body works. Once you learn, the scale will become your friend :))
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Weight is not meaningless. If someone is 400 lbs and needs to get to a healthy 150 lbs, then the scale has to move.

The scale is just another measuring tool and benchmark. We shouldn't discard it because someone's feeling are hurt by a number on a screen.

^^^ accurate statement.. if the scale doesnt move it is hard to track actual progress compared to placebo progress (ex. thinking your clothes fit better or thinking you look better based on the fact that you are trying hard.) its a good tool to know when to change things up but dont obsess over it. the actual number is irrelevant but tracking progress is what is needed
  • Candida1983
    Candida1983 Posts: 188
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the helpful advice! :bigsmile: Larkiedeek and CMmrsfloyd, thanks for the water tip. I do drink a lot of soda and not so much water, I think I will limit myself to one soda a day and start drinking way more water! I could force myself to stay away from the scale, but in two weeks I'm going to weigh myself and take my measurements again and see where I'm at. I guess I am just tired of being overweight and wanting to go to the beach, but being afraid because I am a big girl and I am scared of what people would say if I were there. I would like to buy smaller pants and actually be able to wear a normal, tasteful bathing suit on the beach, and to be a good example for my kids. My 8yo son actually did the 30DS with me last night lol, although I had to keep telling him to slow down or he would hurt himself.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

How do you calculate a healthy 150 pounds? By BMI? Again, it's a flawed concept. Let's do a thought experiment, let's assume 50% body fat for the 400 pound person. Now let's say that person lost 200 pounds, 80% from fat (probably a conservative estimate at that body fat percentage, depending on exercise and diet of course.) That would put that person at 200 pounds, and 20% body fat. For a woman, that would be in the athletic range for body fat, and for a man, that would be right in the middle of normal. Are you going to insist that person a lose an extra 50 pounds, just to reach an arbitrary number you deem "healthy?" That's why I say weight, on it's own, is meaningless. It needs context of body fat and measurements in order for it to have meaning.

Shane_Carwin.JPG
    This guy weighs about 255 pounds. If you didn't know what he looked like, and all I told you was that he was 6'2" and weighed 255 pounds, would you assume he was obese, because his BMI is over 32?

Heck, I've seen 400 pound people in fantastic shape.
    This guy weighs near 400 pounds:
    great-khali.jpg
    Yes, he's also over 7 feet tall, but again, weight, with no other measurements to gauge it, means nothing.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Oh girl, now you know on a north carolina beach there are PLENTY of bigger girls out there strutting their stuff. Not to mention men with their beer guts hanging out. You are not as big as you feel like you are, we are always our own worst critics, but by this summer you are gonna be a hot mama anyway. :-)
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    How do you calculate a healthy 150 pounds? By BMI? Again, it's a flawed concept. Let's do a thought experiment, let's assume 50% body fat for the 400 pound person. Now let's say that person lost 200 pounds, 80% from fat (probably a conservative estimate at that body fat percentage, depending on exercise and diet of course.) That would put that person at 200 pounds, and 20% body fat. For a woman, that would be in the athletic range for body fat, and for a man, that would be right in the middle of normal. Are you going to insist that person a lose an extra 50 pounds, just to reach an arbitrary number you deem "healthy?" That's why I say weight, on it's own, is meaningless. It needs context of body fat and measurements in order for it to have meaning.
    Dude, take it down a notch. I'm just saying a woman who wants to get down to 150 lbs from being 400 lbs. In order for that to happen, the scale has to go down. Can you deny that? We haven't even mentioned height or body composition.

True that someone can be 200 lbs and healthy. However, for a short woman, that is pushing it.

You can't make blanket statements about the scale when folks are 300, 400, 500 lbs.