I don't have access to a scale. Ideas?

Options
Hello, I am living in a very small village. There is no scale in the home and the only place I knew of that had a scale they no longer have the scale. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do? Should I just keep estimating my weight? I thought i'd just keep track with pictures.

Replies

• Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Use/devise a tape measure, and see how many inches you lose.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Yes, tape measure! And you can also gauge weight loss by how your clothes are fitting. I'd pick out one pair of jeans and a top, and keep those two pieces of clothing to measure by.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Order one online?
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    Don't worry, the scale isn't the best measure of your progress anyways. Use a tape measure and pictures are a great idea (or the mirror).
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You may be better off not having access to a scale. I am learning to step away from mine! I have learned that a better guide is your measurements and how your clothes are fitting. The scale results can fluctuate so wildly within a single week that it can be discouraging, however, my progress with my measurements and how my clothes fit are steady.

I understand your need for a baseline weight to track your progress but, as you will also learn on MFP, the weight is only a guide. Good luck in getting to your goal!
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Tape measure. It's better for showing results...scales are unreliable anyways :)
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Do you ever go into a city that has a Boots ( if you are in the UK). Most of them have scales in them.

Use the tape measure throughout the month and if you can get there once a month you can get weighed if you want to log your loss on your ticker.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    order one..if your obese i think its best to have a scale ..if your pretty much in a healthy range but need to lose pounds i suggest ordering a measuring tape...if u cant afford a scale find a local free advertising and find a workout/weigh in pal that has a scale
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    Just curious....what village has internet and no scales?
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Pictures are a fantastic idea! I'm always shocked when I look back at mine, and I've only lost about a third of what I need to; it's really hard to tell the difference from memory. If you want hard numbers, use a tape measure (they're incredibly cheap; you can find them for $2-5 if you look around). Just be aware that a tape measure won't show a difference as fast as a scale would, so measure maybe once a month instead of once a week.
  • Scott_Parkinson
    Scott_Parkinson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, stepping on a scale can be a pretty demoralizing experience. Especially when you start losing fat and building muscle. You may not lose, or even sometimes gain weight. Using measurements is probably the best way to chart your progress (even using a mirror can lead you to believe that you aren't making progress). With all that being said, I think that the best indicator of progress is how you feel about yourself. If you're feeling good, it doesn't much matter what the scale says.
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    I have a scale, but never use it--always go by tape measure! measurements (lose in inches) is a better marker for success.
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You can order one online fairly cheaply. But measure, measure, measure! Even if the scale doesn't show anything, the tape will.
  • 130lbsORbust
    Options
    Am in Ireland. Not obese. I'm thinking maybe Tesco might have a scale. But, it seems everyone is saying tape measure, and I think I can easily find one around here. I had not even thought about that. Thank you very much! I also did not mean to imply there is no way to purchase one. I can go to the city and purchase one, I just don't have money here (I am working for room and food only, no salary)
  • 130lbsORbust
    Options
    sporticus - I noticed this as well! i used to do strength training and when I was gaining muscle I would just see so little progress in terms of weight loss, even though I was gaining a lot of muscle. It made me want to stop working out. I'm glad everyone mentioned tape, as I have never used that to track my progress, and I'm going to now. Seems like the more reliable way to do things!
  • 130lbsORbust
    Options
    zacksana - you can get internet pretty much anywhere...
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHA i had this problem in the Peace Corps. Get a tape measure and do weekly measurements.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am living in a very small village. There is no scale in the home and the only place I knew of that had a scale they no longer have the scale. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do? Should I just keep estimating my weight? I thought i'd just keep track with pictures.

This is perfect! Don't get one either... Use tape measure and how your clothes fit but most important how you look in the mirror
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Order a scale online? You can get a decent one for 10 bucks.