Runners: Ways to lengthen your stride?

Options
Any suggestions on how to lengthen your stride? I take really short, obnoxious strides and I need a way to pick up the pace and get my stride longer. Thanks!

Replies

• cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    The faster you run, the longer your stide will naturally be. If you still find your feet being lazy, Make a consciouse decision to lengthen your steps. You don't want it to be uncomfortable though. Just experiment with it.
    Good Luck!
  • sarapeek
    sarapeek Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Running fast is a little bit like falling forward and catching yourself. Stand up straight with your feet together. Start leaning forward; when you feel like you're falling, you will step out and catch yourself. That's a pretty long stride for me, and that's what it feels like to run with a long stride. On the other hand, I find it hard to take long strides if I'm not running at a fairly high speed. You can see if that makes sense to you.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    You have to consciously try to lengthen your stride. Do you run on a treadmill? Pick a speed (say, 6 mph), turn on your ipod, and run to the beat of the music. You need to adjust your stride to get the rhythm. This is a great way to get the feel of different strides.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you are a perfect candidate for barefoot style running. note, you don't actually have to run barefoot, but you'll need to ditch the sneakers with a big "supportive" heel. look into minimus style sneakers, like new balance and vibrams. these shoes support a short stride, where you land in the middle or on the balls of you feet, instead of on the heel. it may take a little getting used to, as it will engage more muscles in the legs that have somewhat atrophied due to not being used as much with those padded heel shoes everyone wears.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It's actually better to have a shorter stride with a quicker turn over in distance running rather than a longer stride, what type of running are you doing?
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    It is recommended for good form to keep your strides short and quick rather than long. Check out this site: http://www.goodformrunning.com/ they explain it well! Good luck!
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    It's actually better to have a shorter stride with a quicker turn over in distance running rather than a longer stride, what type of running are you doing?

I was just going to say this. Nothing wrong with short, quick steps!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options

^Co-sign.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I agree with the shorter stride/quicker turnover, but if you do find yourself lengthening your stride to move faster, lead with your arms. Pump you arms and you legs will follow.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is an optimum stride length for each individual based on their anatomy. It is not a good idea to try to articially make big changes either way (although erring on the side of shorter strides is much better than overstriding). However, that "optimum stride length" will change as your abilities change. For example, if you do speed intervals, your legs will become stronger and your stride will naturally increase. The main thing is to run in a controlled, relaxed fashion. It is not a good idea to try to consciously lengthen your stride--it is not only inefficient, but there is increased injury risk.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    There is an optimum stride length for each individual based on their anatomy. It is not a good idea to try to articially make big changes either way (although erring on the side of shorter strides is much better than overstriding). However, that "optimum stride length" will change as your abilities change. For example, if you do speed intervals, your legs will become stronger and your stride will naturally increase. The main thing is to run in a controlled, relaxed fashion. It is not a good idea to try to consciously lengthen your stride--it is not only inefficient, but there is increased injury risk.

Great points!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Hill sprints and hill repeats will strengthen your legs and give you a more powerful stride.

Like others said also, if you simply try to run faster your stride will naturally get longer for that pace. You have to be willing to get out of the comfort zone though.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Turnover is what you are looking for, not length. When you reach to lengthen you stride, you start to heel strike and open yourself up to all sorts of injury. Concentrate on trying to take between 160 and 180 steps per minute (count steps for 10 seconds, multiply by 6 - easiest way). If you are already there, then don't try to make any changes. As you get stronger and more fit, you will run faster but you will not have to lengthen your stride as is being implied. You will cover more ground with each step, but you will stay in the 160-180 steps per minute range. What you will see is a higher heel lift in the back and higher knee lift in the front when you are running faster.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    Turnover is what you are looking for, not length. When you reach to lengthen you stride, you start to heel strike and open yourself up to all sorts of injury. Concentrate on trying to take between 160 and 180 steps per minute (count steps for 10 seconds, multiply by 6 - easiest way). If you are already there, then don't try to make any changes. As you get stronger and more fit, you will run faster but you will not have to lengthen your stride as is being implied. You will cover more ground with each step, but you will stay in the 160-180 steps per minute range. What you will see is a higher heel lift in the back and higher knee lift in the front when you are running faster.

Like! Good info.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

What happens when you reach 160-180 steps per minute? Is it then impossible to ever go faster?

And if you "cover more ground with each step", aren't you, by definition, taking a longer stride?

I think you are using the term "stride length" to refer to gait and form, which is a little different and may be confusing.

Studies done on champion 5K and 10K runners showed that, when they increased from an easy pace to a near max pace, turnover increased by 10%12%, while stride length increased 81%-83%. Increasing speed further (sprint pace) then requires an additional increase in turnover.

Except at rapid speeds, running speed is increased mainly by lengthening the stride. As has been stated earlier, the training that one does to increase speed (tempo runs, intervals, hill running) will result in a "natural" increase in stride length--meaning that more distance is traveled with each step, but form still remains compact and controlled.

And that is where I think the confusion lies. I think today many people interpret "stride length" as being the extent of foot placement in front of the body. By that definition, "lengthening stride" means extending the front foot farther in front of the body's center of gravity--and no, that is not a good thing. But stride length just means the amount of distance covered with each step.

It easy for the recreational runner to focus on a simple number like stride rate, but the real point of the current recommendations to increase stride rate is to reduce vertical loading on the foot by bringing the point of contact closer to the center of mass. Doing that is more important than whether or not one lands on the heel, IMO. The only problem is that our bodies are not made the same, and stride length/stride rate are very individual, so runners need to learn to be "in touch" with their bodies and not just focus on a stride rate number.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Short quick strides. IT band issues will help you stay just the way you are.
  • ksquared0710
    ksquared0710 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow guys! What great information!!! Thank you so so much! I'm a novice runner so I'm trying to work out all sorts of kinks and form is a major one. Thanks for all the awesome help!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Google "good form running" for lots of good info with diagrams and videos. As stated above, most of your running should be at a stride rate of around 180. (sprinting will be faster). Your feet should always land under your center of mass, not out in front. Speed is mostly controlled by the distance covered with each step which is largely a factor of leg strength, endurance, and just learning the movement through repetition, I.e. lots of running.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    What happens when you reach 160-180 steps per minute? Is it then impossible to ever go faster?

Stride rate doesn't equal speed. It's just the optimal number of steps to take.

And if you "cover more ground with each step", aren't you, by definition, taking a longer stride?

Technically yes, but I think most of the people that ask about "lengthening stride" are referring to the process of stepping further out with each step, not propelling themselves further through the air before their foot again makes contact with the ground..
    I think you are using the term "stride length" to refer to gait and form, which is a little different and may be confusing.

Yes, you are right. I should have been more clear and I thank you for clearing it up.
    Studies done on champion 5K and 10K runners showed that, when they increased from an easy pace to a near max pace, turnover increased by 10%12%, while stride length increased 81%-83%. Increasing speed further (sprint pace) then requires an additional increase in turnover.

160 steps per minute with a 10% increase is 176 steps. Still in the range. :)
    Except at rapid speeds, running speed is increased mainly by lengthening the stride. As has been stated earlier, the training that one does to increase speed (tempo runs, intervals, hill running) will result in a "natural" increase in stride length--meaning that more distance is traveled with each step, but form still remains compact and controlled.

And that is where I think the confusion lies. I think today many people interpret "stride length" as being the extent of foot placement in front of the body. By that definition, "lengthening stride" means extending the front foot farther in front of the body's center of gravity--and no, that is not a good thing. But stride length just means the amount of distance covered with each step.

I concur.
    It easy for the recreational runner to focus on a simple number like stride rate, but the real point of the current recommendations to increase stride rate is to reduce vertical loading on the foot by bringing the point of contact closer to the center of mass. Doing that is more important than whether or not one lands on the heel, IMO. The only problem is that our bodies are not made the same, and stride length/stride rate are very individual, so runners need to learn to be "in touch" with their bodies and not just focus on a stride rate number.

Keeping the foot under center mass will naturally bring you into the 160 to 180 range for most of the population. It is an individual thing, but our bodies aren't really all that much different.

Great discussion.