Couch to five k

Hi All

Anyone else just starting this program?

I just started. Have never been a runner but I thought I would give it a try. I am not an active person right now and that is going to change.

So I started yesterday and I couldn't even run for the whole 60 secs. Probably could only do about 30 sec. My calves were just killing me. Hopefully this will not hurt for a long time? Any suggestions for stretches or anything else that will help this.

Thanks

Replies

• prizmaa
    prizmaa Posts: 62 Member
    That is awesome that you've started doing the C25K. I'm currently beginning week 5 and really enjoying it! For me, I had a bit of calf tightness at first too. I stretched out really good after the warm up and again after the cool down. I just do a normal calf stretch and then while I'm in the calf stretch, I will bend my knee and it stretches out a different part of your calf, feels so good! I think after awhile, you will get used to it and your calves shouldn't be a problem anymore. And always remember that you can repeat a certain week of the program, if you need to!! Just keep going! You can do this!! :)
  • THanks for the encouragement Prizmaa!

I think I am going to have to repeat the first week for sure. When I can actually run the whole 60 seconds I will move on.
  • prizmaa
    prizmaa Posts: 62 Member
    Yep! Definitely nothing wrong with repeating weeks. :)
    But you will be amazed at how fast your body can adapt to the changes from week to week! If you want, feel free to friend me! :)
  • lorzipoo
    lorzipoo Posts: 7 Member
    I've just finished week 3. It's tough - I still can't get my head around that in 2 weeks I'm supposed to be running 20 mins straight, but I've got through it so far (just!) so putting trust in the programme and will hopefully get there! Good luck to you!! : )
  • getmefit37
    getmefit37 Posts: 1 Member
    I started C25K in January and thought I'd puke after running a minute, and now I run for about an hour 3x a week. I am not athletic in any way shape or form other than walking the kids to school, so if I can do it, anyone can. As long as you just keep moving, you'll get there! I found it gradual enough that I didn't get discouraged, and there is no shame in repeating workouts. Running for 5 minutes total is still way better than no running. Good luck.
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    I tried today but only managed 10 minutes instead of 20 (run 1 minute, fast walk 1 1/2 minutes).