STARVING after the gym

Options
Hi all

Need some advice, after a gym workout (about 15 minutes after) starvation sets in, I could eat everything in sight.
I've followed the normal advice to eat protein and carbs but it doesn't seem to work, I could eat and eat and eat for the rest of the day. I make sure I'm well hydrated, no problems there, but don't know what else I can do or what could be the problem?

Any advice?

Replies

• cycleholic
    cycleholic Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a small protein bar right after I work out. I ususally get the Good Grab Oh Yeah bar (190 cals) or a lower sugar Detour bar (170 cals). This will keep me from gnawing on my steering wheel during the drive home! Seriously, it keeps me from eating everything I can find when I get home.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I find after working really really hard at the gym my appetite is gone.

You doing cardio or weights?
  • rosiedoo169
    rosiedoo169 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cardio.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    do you eat before you workout? and do you workout in the morning or at night? I workout in the morning and whats working for me is blending my coffee in my magic bullet with chocolate protein powder and half a banana before the workout and then a big bowl of oatmeal with the other half of the banana, chia seeds and an egg mixed in after, total calories for my usual breakfast including both coffee & oatmeal is about 450 calories (spaced out, I spend about an hour at the gym) and I'm generally satiated until around 11am (I start my day around 5:30am)
    sometimes I have hungry days anyway but this has been working most days for me!
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Cardio.

ah yes and I'm ALWAYS hungrier after a cardio workout, so on the big cardio days I really up my protein & fiber.
  • rosiedoo169
    rosiedoo169 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Mainly the mornings, after breakfast of about 300 calories and there would be no protein in that so maybe that's where I'm going wrong.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    why are people acting like it's abnormal to be hungry after a work out? Chances are if you're that hungry after a work out you haven't eaten enough prior (or earlier in the day) but it's also a good idea to have a post work out/recovery snack/shake (whether you're hungry or not). Your body is still burning calories at a higher rate anyways, so it's not like it's going to set you back any - plus your body and muscles are hungry for protein and nutrients at that point.
  • donwannabefatnomo
    donwannabefatnomo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I can't work-out on a full-stomach . . . so I go first thing in the morning and I don't eat . . . just drink water . . . then eat breakfast afterward . . .
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    More protein before during and after the workout. Protein shakes and bars are good choices. I also much on almonds or cashews if available. I also like having bananas before I workout to curb the hunger.
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Mainly the mornings, after breakfast of about 300 calories and there would be no protein in that so maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

I work out about 10-15 minutes after I roll out of bed, so if I have any food/calories left in me, they're from the night before. However, when I eat breakfast, one of my favorites is a Chobani Greek yogurt with a few raw almonds and organic raisins thrown in. That combination gives me 15-20g of protein and the fruit in the yogurt and the raisins adds in a good bit of natural sugar/carbs to help out also. The big load of protein helps you stay feeling full for 2-3 hours and then some other kind of healthy snack should get you to the next meal.
  • sugamadhi
    Options
    im taking all this advice in myself. i dont go to the gym but i have a treadmill at home and i do pilates and walk ALOT. anyway after the treadmill im crazy hungry and i drink water a tall glass and i seem to be ok,on some days but not all theres days i could eat everything i lay my eyes on. im gonna try the bars and see how that works.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 1st thing on an empty stomach and usually try to wait around 45 minutes after to eat. When I lift I get famished after even though I drink a protein and carb shake about 45 - 60 minutes before I workout. So I eat as soon as I get home about 15 mins or so. I usually do cardio on none lifting days.
  • Wellnessbabe
    Wellnessbabe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This happens to me some days. I usually have oatmeal before workout. After workout I have a meal or protein smoothie depending on how I'm feeling.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

you really should have protein at every meal. It helps retain lean mass.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't bother you to eat before working out, definitely include protein in your breakfast. I usually have an egg or a Italian turkey sausage (not the brown & serve kind but an actual sausage like... I think its shady brook farms). Once I'm done working out I have a protein bar right after ... while I'm in the locker room getting ready to shower (that on the advice of my trainer who recommended I eat ASAP after to prevent the starving feeling and keep metabolism running higher). Then on the drive home I eat an apple and drink a bottle of water to kind of fill me up so I'm not ravenous while prepping for lunch - especially since I have to stop at the bakery everyday to get fresh rolls for hubby's breakfast. That used to kill me, lol!!

Good protein bars can be pricey but if you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have a good selection reasonably priced. If you're not a fan of protein bar (some people find them too much like candy bars and that can set off cravings) peanut butter on a sandwich thin is also a good post workout snack.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend eating something prior to your workout in addition to the carbs/protein afterwards. If you cannot do food (I usually feel like I'm gonna throw up if I eat beforehand), get a meal replacement or protein shake before. You need the water mix to get hydrated anyway, and it goes down fast and doesn't weigh on your stomach during your workout. Easy 150 calories to pump your up for your workout!
  • enaves1986
    enaves1986 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Get some good quality protein in, it will calm the hunger. I bring a protein shake to have after ice hockey practice,
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    eat first about an hour before. Make sure you have some carbs with that to give you the fuel to give the workout your all. Then have your next meal planed and ready. Dont wait for the hunger to set in. Eat as soon as you feel able too. Again make sure it is well rounded with protein and carbs. And I always try to save enough calories to get me thru the rest of the day because yes, when you sweat you WILL be hungry. :) Be prepared, and accept it and try to plan ahead.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    why are people acting like it's abnormal to be hungry after a work out? Chances are if you're that hungry after a work out you haven't eaten enough prior (or earlier in the day) but it's also a good idea to have a post work out/recovery snack/shake (whether you're hungry or not). Your body is still burning calories at a higher rate anyways, so it's not like it's going to set you back any - plus your body and muscles are hungry for protein and nutrients at that point.

I think this is some pretty good advice. I do both cardio AND weights.. On at least one occasion, I have had to stop; at a store and get some type of meal replacement bar or something. My muscles were a bit shaky... I did not find this abnormal and knew that I really needed something to eat. That satiesfied me and I was able to move forward with the rest of my night that way.
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    I always eat afterwards.
    just try to eat slower so you body realizes it stopped working out and started eating, if you stuff yourself real fast you will over eat.