How to boost metabolism?

Options

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, so if you exercise at night you don't get a metabolism boost? :huh:

Arginine is a nonessential amino acid, your body produces tons of it, and it's in all sources of protein. Watermelon isn't special.

Eating protein does NOT boost metabolism, TEF doesn't work that way.

Cold water being warmed is a negligible calorie burn, maybe 1 calorie a day extra.

Most of this seems to be mythical.

but it's all dr. oz approved!

Yeaaahhh... He's now more of a celebrity than a doctor. Make your own research and find out for yourself. Don't put so much faith on TV people.

I think you missed the sarcasm.
  • dasblondie
    dasblondie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bump! great info.....like you said bonus calories...def is not a shortcut to healthy eating and exercise, but every calorie does count :) thanks so much
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options

FISH OIL: EPA and DHA, the omega-3 fatty acids found only in fish oil, may have the power to dramatically boost your metabolism -- by about 400 calories per day, researchers from the University of Western Ontario report. Fish oil increases levels of fat-burning enzymes and decreases levels of fat-storage enzymes in your body. For the best metabolism boosting benefit, choose capsules containing at least 300 milligrams of EPA and DHA total.

I take this for depression. I have, uh, oily stools. I don't know if my body isn't absorbing the pills or other fats I'm eating.

Make sure you are taking the fish oil with a meal and you can also add a digesive enzyme to help your body digest the fish oil...

Thank you (and to the other poster). I know that this is problem in general for people with celiac, but since I have cut out wheat I thought it would stop (though I guess it takes a pretty long time for the gut to heal?).

I started drinking GoodBelly probiotic drink and it helps a lot; it's a pain to get though because they only sell it at one store in my city.
  • betholiver
    Options
    bump
  • Imawonder
    Imawonder Posts: 65
    Options
    Bump
  • jroja021
    jroja021 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the awesome points!!!
  • dbutorac
    dbutorac Posts: 120
    Options
    very interesting & well written, Thank You.
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Interesting read - thanks.
  • bcgirlerin
    bcgirlerin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thanks very helpfull and what dose it mean when ppl say bump???
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    I've been researching different ways of increasing my metabolism so that my net calories are reduced. It definitely matters what you eat and drink. A calorie is not just a calorie! I'm a scientist by profession (although not in anything relevant to weight loss), so I've looked for info that is well justified by scientific experiment.

Here is what I've found. I hope that all of you will add to this list and/or ask good questions that lets us zero in on a great set of techniques for increasing our metabolic rate. For brevity, I've left out sources. If anything is unclear, please ask! Good luck to you!
    -DJA

Boosting metabolism
    ==========
    Exercise in morning increases metabolism for hours
    Like to see the study that supports this.
    Eat small meals every 3 to 4 hours keeps metabolism cranking so you burn more calories over the course of a day.
    Haven't found scientific study to support this.
    Fiber can rev your fat burn by as much as 30 percent. Studies find that those who eat the most fiber gain the least weight over time. Aim for about 25 g a day—the amount in about three servings each of fruits and vegetables.
    Like to see the study for this too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jenncaroon
    Options
    Thanks for doing the research. Bump for future reference.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    thanks very helpfull and what dose it mean when ppl say bump???

when you comment on a thread it adds the thread to My Topics.

So they say bump to make the thread easier to find if they want to read any further replies later.
  • davidfrombc
    Options
    Hello, Newbie here

I have tried exercise at all times of the day and find the timing doesn't really make a difference.
    I do believe fibre is an important factor and seriously considering going pescitarian(no eating animals except seafood)because the protein in seafood doesn't come with the fat in land based animals.
    I lost 140lbs so far and have about another 60 to go.

So,,hello fro British Columbia :)
  • shrinkingsuccess
    Options
    :smile: .. want to refer back to this ... thanks for the post
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    juice of half lemon, slice of ginger, boil water and mix together. Drink like tea first thing in the morning.

That always works for me. I've been doing it for 3 months now and haven't had a coffee since then. Losing inches and lbs.
  • nicolemariemclovin
    nicolemariemclovin Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • JamesTucci
    Options
    Bump
  • cupidval
    cupidval Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Great advice! I will look into these! Bump!!