Options
    bump. Thanks!
  • TracyTucci
    Options
    Bump
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    phentermine??? People die from that stuff. I thought they outlawed phentermine!
    It is not used in UK at all. So I am not sure why people are taking it in US. I am very surprised about it. Only medicine which is recommended is Orlistat.
    Fen-Phen is deadly and was taken off the market, not Phentermine. Phentermine is a drug that's been approved by the FDA since 1952. I think 60 years is long enough to be sure that under a physician's care, one might be able to safely take this drug.

Now there is a new drug coming out on the market that will mix Pentermine and Topomax. Topomax is an anti-seizure medication that I am prescribed for migraines. It does suppress appetite temporarily ( about a month) and change the taste of some things, like carbonated beverages, but it changes the brain!! It's nothing to play with. And the side effects are crazy.. Kidney stones being number 1 and a weird tingly sensation in your fingers and toes that just never goes away. I'm sooooooooooo afraid of this new diet drug and that people are going to run out to get it and its going to have the same issues that Fen-Phen had a few years back.
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    BUMP!!!!
  • bassanne
    bassanne Posts: 56
    Options
    Alot of good info, Thanks.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    sigh.jpg
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    It is not used in UK at all. So I am not sure why people are taking it in US. I am very surprised about it. Only medicine which is recommended is Orlistat.
    Haven't you heard -- it's the American way. Why work hard to resolve anything when all that is really necessary is popping a pill. :ohwell:
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Lab2809
    Lab2809 Posts: 58
    Options
    bump
  • renawelty
    Options
    bump
  • maeroo
    maeroo Posts: 5
    Options
    thanks for the detailed information...really helpfull
  • katiedidd66
    Options
    Bump
  • amilee2992
    Options
    Bump
  • ili_s
    ili_s Posts: 66
    Options
    Hmmm... you say that "Black coffee = short term boost of metabolic rate " but... coffee supresses your appetite, and if you don't eat your metabolism slows down. O_o
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • Iamjulez
    Iamjulez Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Fen-Phen is deadly and was taken off the market, not Phentermine. Phentermine is a drug that's been approved by the FDA since 1952. I think 60 years is long enough to be sure that under a physician's care, one might be able to safely take this drug.

Until it isn't. I think I'd have to see for myself somebody's eating healthy and still not losing weight... there's no way if you weren't eating great and exercising that your body wouldn't correct itself, barring a hormone problem or such... which a doctor surely would check for first.

My rule of thumb is natural is best.
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I am skeptical to most of these.

I'm still a believer that your total calories in must be less than the calories you expend. That seems to be the plan that's working for me.

Diet induced thermogenesis is part of your TDEE, and that is affected by what you eat.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options

Until it isn't. I think I'd have to see for myself somebody's eating healthy and still not losing weight... there's no way if you weren't eating great and exercising that your body wouldn't correct itself, barring a hormone problem or such... which a doctor surely would check for first.

My rule of thumb is natural is best.

60 years... I'm not making an argument FOR the use of Phentermine. I'm just stating a fact. You do whatever you want.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Hmmm... you say that "Black coffee = short term boost of metabolic rate " but... coffee supresses your appetite, and if you don't eat your metabolism slows down. O_o

If you lose weight your metabolism slows down.