Why am I even trying?

Options
Weight stable when I don't count, weight stable when I do count, burn 300 calories a day, and abstain from alcohol. Why bother?

Replies

• Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    how much are you trying to lose?
  • virginiakatie
    Options
    I know the feeling... I'm positive that my inches are "shrinking" but my scale isn't budging.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Well what's your bodyfat percentage?
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    I haven't had my body fat done recently. I'm hovering around 130 pounds at 5'7", which gives me a BMI of 20, which is healthy, but I've been 124, and you can see the difference. Plus, I'm aiming for longevity.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    That must be frustrating as heck...though I would kill to be your size. :tongue:
  • Veronica320
    Options
    Try mixing up your exercise routine a bit. Don't give up!
  • ClassiC
    ClassiC Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    dont give up!! im the same way! just keep working out - the inches will melt and make it worth it!! :flowerforyou:
  • ClassiC
    ClassiC Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    thought i'd add---

"Do you know what happens just before something amazing, incredible, outstanding and fantastic happens in life?

This.
    EXACTLY this.
    Struggling.
    Doubting.
    Wondering if it will ever work out.
    Feeling impatient and frustrated.
    It happens every time doesn't it?

Yet it also happens that every time you stop struggling, stop doubting, stop worrying about whether it'll work, stop giving into frustration and START taking action instead, the amazing, incredible, outstanding and fantastic shows up in your life."
    :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    If your eating is healthy, you are exercising, you are following other practices that lead to longevity, then you are on the right path.

do not quit five minutes before the miracle

do not stress over this.......stress helps your body resist weight loss

never, never, never give up
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    You're trying to lose 5 pounds? Wow,,, for a lot of us that is within the margin of error. I started at 270 pounds and at 35% bodyfat. I set my goal at 200 pounds.

Right now I'm at 212 pounds, still 12 pounds above my goal, and I'm Ok with that. My bodyfat % is now more like 16%, and that's reasonably lean. So i've added protein and freeweights to my routine and I've actually gained a little (lean muscle) weight (was 209 a few weeks ago). For me good health is the key, not just a number on the scale - and I'm the healthiest I've been in a long time.

Stick with it,,, but be aware that once you get really lean - and it sounds like you are - your body really wants to hang onto that last little bit of fat. You wouldn't want to starve to death by skipping breakfast would ya'? :happy:
  • KellenRae
    KellenRae Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Following up what Casper said...

You could be gaining weight in the form of muscle as you're losing weight in the form of fat. I'm not entirely sure, but I think a good way of figuring out if this is the case is by checking your measurements.
    Your measurements might be shrinking (because you're losing fat) even though your weight is maintaining (because you're gaining muscle that's replacing the fat).

Hope that makes sense...
  • Poeticescape
    Options
    I was having the same issue,. The scale didnt budge. But then i started to switch it up. The body likes change in fact in craves change. You should switch up the excersizes and not try to do the same thing all the time. My body started reacting very quickly and the punds started to come off a lot fast and so did the inches.
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    There are some really inspirational quote on this thread!! Thank you all for sharing. :smile:

I sometimes think of my metabolism/body like boxing. You might be making solid hits by eating right and exercising, and the pounds you want to lose might be weaving and wobbling, holding on to the ropes, trying to stay up. But because we haven't seen them fall we think that we aren't making any progress. Just keep slugging away, and pretty soon you'll see a big difference!
  • incircles_lp2
    incircles_lp2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same boat as you. i pretty much don't drink/smoke or anything anymore since June and I haven't budged an inch or a lb on the scale. You might be closer to your optimum weight however. 130 seems like the right weight for someone who is your height. I can't assume though-everyone's body is different. When I was 140, I was almost too skinny and i am 5' 4''.

The Key: you are staying active.

II can't give you much more than that. My confidence is at the same level as yours right now. I feel like I am genetically degenerative or something
  • incircles_lp2
    incircles_lp2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same boat as you. i pretty much don't drink/smoke or anything anymore since June and I haven't budged an inch or a lb on the scale. You might be closer to your optimum weight however. 130 seems like the right weight for someone who is your height. I can't assume though-everyone's body is different. When I was 140, I was almost too skinny and i am 5' 4''.

The Key: you are staying active.

II can't give you much more than that. My confidence is at the same level as yours right now. I feel like I am genetically degenerative or something