I hate broccoli!

Options
2»

Replies

• willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    boil it in a pot...get it real soft...now put in a food processor...put a little butter and any other seasonings you like and blend the crap out of it....i guess you would call t broccoli puree...i call it mashed broccoli...its great...taste like mashed potatoes....really...you got to try it one time...i promise
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I hate celery so I don't eat it. Life is too short to gag down food you hate.There are plenty of other veggies to eat. :drinker:

I'm that way about asparagus. I gave it the old college try. It's not doing it for me.

I'm not huge on broccoli, but I'll eat it if it's part of a mixed assortment. Or raw. I like it raw. With ranch dressing. Ranch makes everything edible.
  • Jupitermermaid
    Jupitermermaid Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    boil it in a pot...get it real soft...now put in a food processor...put a little butter and any other seasonings you like and blend the crap out of it....i guess you would call t broccoli puree...i call it mashed broccoli...its great...taste like mashed potatoes....really...you got to try it one time...i promise
    ^This.....PLUS......add some non-fat milk and/or velveeta cheese to make it soupier.

Start off with small doses of it added to other things to get used to it......pasta primavera, mac and cheese, omelettes, mashed potatoes, mixed veggies, etc. You won't taste it so pronouncedly, and will gradually gain a "taste" for it.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I steam it and toss with butter & garlic, my son loves it. You might try adding broccoli slaw to your salads. Of course my favorite way is to cover it in cheese sauce....
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I hate celery so I don't eat it. Life is too short to gag down food you hate.There are plenty of other veggies to eat. :drinker:

I'm that way about asparagus. I gave it the old college try. It's not doing it for me.

I'm not huge on broccoli, but I'll eat it if it's part of a mixed assortment. Or raw. I like it raw. With ranch dressing. Ranch makes everything edible.

I hate celery, asparagus, and brussel sprouts. Just gross to me. Broccoli, however....yum! I used to hate it then my dad made me try it drenched in cheese. Yeah, thanks Dad. He did pay me to try it though =x I was young though! Now, I love it. I love it raw, steamed with or without cheese. Try steamed broccoli with some cheese sauce. Don't like it? Don't eat it. Try it raw dipped in ranch dressing. Don't like it? well don't eat it! The point is try it different ways. Last night I had steamed broccoli with a few sprays of I can't believe it's not butter. Yum.
    There are just some things you won't like though.
  • eakohl
    eakohl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing about brocolli is if you use frozen or over cooked it will be mushy and tasteless. I try to use fresh and steam it. Microwave is another way to ruin brocolli. Saute it with a little sesame oil is also very good.
  • kimmieMcF
    kimmieMcF Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You do not have to eat broccoli if you don't like it. Brocolini is similar, and sweeter. You could try that instead. you have lost a lot of weight, - your doing fine.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Broccoli on pizza is win.

Sauteed with garlic and olive oil

Raw

Steamed

Whatever
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    if you hate it that much, just substitute another veg. maybe asparagus, zuchinni, spinach. Don't force yourself, that gets old quick.
  • makeitbetter
    Options
    My whole family loves this recipe. We saw it on an episode of Next Food Network Star last year, and tried it that weekend. It's my favorite way to eat broccoli now.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/roasted-broccoli-with-parmesan-recipe2/index.html
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Please give all your broccoli to me then!! :)

Try putting some 0 calorie spray butter on it after you steam it, then some salt & pepper, as well as a sprinkle of parmesan cheese... so good!
  • Asiral
    Asiral Posts: 133
    Options
    Ohhhh I LOVE broccoli. But I have very odd tastes... Have you tried them pickled? It sounds weird, but it completely alters the taste.
  • Amabuela
    Amabuela Posts: 24
    Options
    Oven roast at high heat (400-425) with a little olive oil, garlic, and a touch of lemon. I love it, but it is an acquired taste.
  • TiffanyDawn79
    TiffanyDawn79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I love roasted broccoli with parmesan, lemon juice, garlic, onion powder and lots of pepper. It tastes like it is something I shouldn't be eating it's so good!
  • nabauer86
    nabauer86 Posts: 39
    Options
    I had a broccoli and cheese omelette this morning and had steamed broccoli with butter at dinner :) Broccoli is my favorite food!
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Brocolli is good, now brussel sprouts however are a whole nother story:bigsmile:

Agreed! To quote Phoebe from Friends, "This must be what evil tastes like!"
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    1 can coconut milk
    1 can chicken broth
    1 head broccoli
    some chicken
    0.5 lime juice

Cook to boil, then slow simmer until chicken is soft (if it is on bone, falls off bone)
    You can serve over your fave grain, or over some lettuce if want a low carb option.
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing about brocolli is if you use frozen or over cooked it will be mushy and tasteless. I try to use fresh and steam it. Microwave is another way to ruin brocolli. Saute it with a little sesame oil is also very good.

I disagree! I usually prepare mine in the microwave. The trick is like you said...don't overcook it. AND I usually use frozen florets. :tongue: I pour some in a bowl, add a dab of butter, some salt, and some garlic powder, then nuke it for a bit. I love it! My mom always got that boxed frozen broccoli and cooked the crap out of it. It tasted as bad as it smelled. I was 23 before I realized I liked broccoli. Whatever floats your boat! (Oh, and we steam our broc in the microwave at work...this was the first that I ever tried and liked!) I'm off to make a big bowl of little trees now :bigsmile:
  • sheltieroger
    sheltieroger Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I ditto all the roasted suggestions....it mellows the flavour a lot !
  • IamJacksColdSweat
    IamJacksColdSweat Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Haha I hate broccoli too. Well, I dislike it, I guess. I love almost every other vegetable (especially spinach and peppers) but I jus don't really care for broccoli.

However...on occasion when I make it as a side to a dish I am making my family, I make sure that the other things on my plate are extra yummy, and I tell myself that I can eat the other things only AFTER my broccoli is finished. Seriously! The other night, I made steak and mashed garlic sweet potatoes *drool* and I made myself eat all my broccoli before anything else. So, in other words, I parent myself :P