Why do people call certain guys "handsome"?

Options
adrian_indy
adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
You know what annoys me? When a really ugly guy gets dressed up in a suit and everyone starts telling him how handsome he looks. WHat? He looks like someone hit him in the face with a flaming shovel. I don't care if he is your grandson, but handsome should be reserved for handsome people like me!

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    lol. no.
  • jennifer783
    jennifer783 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    awww! yes, you're handsome, but share the love :drinker:
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Youre especially handsome in your bowtie. :love:
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Every single (and married) man on my friends list is handsome.

Very few of them look similar to each other.

A well put together person looks good. Period.

Plus, there are some people who LIKE the whole "hit in the face with a flaming shovel" look - it makes them look like they've been through hell and lived to tell about it.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Handsome is the word I always get called. It makes me feel like maybe I don't chalk up to "hot" "sexy" etc.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Handsome is the word I always get called. It makes me feel like maybe I don't chalk up to "hot" "sexy" etc.
    Or maybe you're all of the above, and we just don't want to give you an inflated... ego?
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options

I assume you are compliment-fishing. I'm quite sure i've called you both hot and sexy...
  • adrian_indy
    Options

Don't be so hard on yourself man. If I were gay, I'd bone ya.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I can handle if they call the rest handsome.

I only get bothered when they use the phrase "God-like stallion" regarding anyone but myself.
  • silcock69
    silcock69 Posts: 50
    Options
    that-made-me-feel-sad-thumb.jpg
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I use handsome to compliment male family members when they look nice... because, I think it would sound really wrong if I told them they looked hot or sexy instead. :P
  • adrian_indy
    Options
    I use handsome to compliment male family members when they look nice... because, I think it would sound really wrong if I told them they looked hot or sexy instead. :P

Ok, that is an acceptable answer. Wouldn't want to tell little brother timmy he looks delicious enough to eat. But I am talking about the reverse, inflating the egos of butter faces.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I call guys "pretty" and "beautiful"...

But then they get offended.
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Definition of handsome: Pleasing and dignified in form or appearance. Maybe the face isn't the best, but they are pleasing in the eye of the beholder?
  • dynamojones
    Options
    I think the word gets used when someone wants to be very respectful and non judgmental when commenting on how a man looks.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Handsome can refer to a persons facial features or his mode of dress. To be handsome denotes a certain level of refinement and being polished. I might tell my husband he looks handsome in a suit, but I'll tell him he looks hot in a tight t-shirt.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I prefer to use other words :flowerforyou:

But if a guy dresses up nicely, I tend to use the word handsome to let him know that he looks nice.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Hey...saying you "look" handsome today doesn't mean someone finds you attractive....juuuust sayin :laugh:
  • Curt959
    Curt959 Posts: 21
    Options
    You are right in one sense; handsome is what my Aunts, Mom and Mother-In-Law has told me (even when I was heavy)! But you know dude; hell if they really mean it, a compliment is a compliment and at 52 years old with the gray hair to show for it; I'm vain enought to take an honest compliment any way I can get it!!
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options

Conversely, it seems weird calling some women "hot" but pretty or similar words seem inapplicable.

Hot profile pic btw.

Oh and only RunningJen ever calls me handsome. But that's because she's so sweet.